Confused!? Which degree is best?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on which bach degree I should get. As of right now I am obtaining an AA and trying to figure out what Bach is best when applying to med school. I currently have a 3.71 and should be transfering to a 4 yr next may. I was leaning towards a Bach in BIO, but I am not sure if that is what I should do. I thought about getting a BSN, not sure if that is looked down upon or if it’s totally in the wrong direction, but it would be a great builing block if things didn’t work out for med school. I have a set of 6 yr old twins, married and for as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be a doctor. I know truely that is what I want in life, but if I am just not cut out for it then I need to have a degree that I can use and still pursue a job in the medical field. Any advise would be greatful!!

I have those same fears, but since I’m post bacc I have a few more options. I’m starting with a bio major, but if I don’t get in the first year I apply, I’ll keep taking classes but switch to Bio Chemistry. I figure, worst case scenereo I can get a job in a lab when this is all done and work on a masters in midwifery in the process. But I don’t want to think about plan B. Plan B scares me.

I want to know these things too! LOL. I just started. I am wayyy behind in my math to do an AS, so maybe an AA. Then transfer. My science advisor pulled out a ton of papers on medical schools wanting a well rounded student. Strong in science, of course. However, UW let in a bunch of History majors. Someone pointed out that I should check directly with my backup schools.

Here’s another question…how does one begin researching back-up schools? I strongly desire University of Washington. Cheaper, I am a resident. But, considered #1 in family med. Okay, I don’t want to be family practice. I want to be an ob/gyn surgeon. Does that mean some other schools might be rated higher in that area? UW med school won’t even talk to anyone that isn’t enrolled in UW for advice. So, that leaves everyone else. LOL.

Sorry, I piggy backed on this forum. I am certain there are a few of you out there with this same question.

Kimberly,

Some schools are considered “better” for certain areas of practice. Most all of your DO schools are considered great FP schools, but if you like a certain school for certain aspects, your going to be a doctor regardless of which med school or D.O. school you go to .

Though I am not an expert, most doctors that I have talked to, have said that it really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. Meaning, this doctor graduated from Harvard Med School, but is horrible with bed-side manner, where dr.B graduated from his state school of medicine and is one of the most sought after doctors for whatever speciality. It really has a lot to do with you. At least in all the research and people (healthcare profs.) that I have spoken to about this, they have said 99% of the time, it’s what you do to apply yourself.

Basically, don’t get too hung up on school names. Perfect example of this was a Carib. med student who I was basically interviewing about his experience in the Carib.

He was obviuosly bias, but he said that if he did not tell anyone what school he attended and put himself next to any american med student, he was just as specialized and equipped as they were.

If not more, since they really have to make strong impressions during residency’s and matching. So take that for what it’s worth. Schools are very important, but you have to apply yourself and make of it what you will.

I personally buy this idea, fully.

Okay, so now, just pick is what you are saying? Do you or anyone else know about Dallas, Tx or Baltimore, MD med schools? Those will be the next cities to move to if not University of Washington. Like I said, UW is high on my list since it’s THE ONLY ONE in Washington State. If I go to another school it will mean moving away from family, sell house, transfer jobs. But, we are willing to do it. Just would rather not. (My current job, I lived in L.A. and commuted back and forth for 1 year. Proof that I am crazy.) There has to be a bad medical school… or does there?

Baltimore med schools are really respected and respectable! I would not say “just pick” I would though suggest not stress yourself out too much over it. Your the one that makes the Doctor who they are, is what I was trying to convey…Keep in touch…

I know what you’re talking about with the stress of moving to a different state. I have done a lot of research on the net on the schools in my area which THANK GOODNESS there are three med schools in my area. 1 DO school and 2 MD schools. (I live in the Kansas City area of Missouri) The only advise I can give is research everyhting–I have found so much on the schools I want to go to even on this website,but I have talked to some people from the schools I want to attend and also have spoke to other medical students at the DO school. I know another thing they want is not just the great grades, but also to show how involved you are with your community or other types of organizations. I plan on this summer volunt. at local hospitals or even a local doctor’s office. Anyways, I hope all goes well for you!!! Good luck!

Come to PA and we can study together! We have lots of med schools here.

I live in Texas. There are two med schools in Dallas – UT Southwestern (public) and Baylor (private). Both are top 20 schools, so I’m not sure they are good “back-ups”. There is also TCOM in Fort Worth (about 45 minutes from Dallas – the “FW” in D/FW airport). It is a DO school, but it is the only one in Texas and is very competitive (some say as competitive as Texas allopathic schools). If you are willing to consider other areas in Texas, there are many med schools here that are less competitive than UT Southwestern and Baylor.

The other big issue is Texas residency. State law requires Texas public med schools to accept 90% Texas residents and 10% out-of-state. It is considered very difficult for OOS applicants to get in to Texas med schools. If you are willing to move here and establish residency, however, that’s a different story. There are many Texas med schools (we even have our own centralized app service – like AMCAS, but just for us!) and I have read that the acceptance rate for Texas applicants to Texas med schools is greater than the national average due to the number of schools we have.

Dallas has only one medical school-UTSW. The Baylor in Dallas is a dental school, nursing school and a hopital. The Baylor College of Medicine is located in Houston.

Regards,

eagleeye

I am also struggling with this I am 31 looking to start school this summer and wondering what to major in for my bachelors.I have read that a lot of med-schools want diverse students not neccasarily standard pre med or heavy science candidates. I want to pack the most bang for my buck in my education and be very smart about what classes I take. I originally thought psychology since I have taken a class before and I think I would like it. Any Ideas ?

Do something you enjoy

My bad! I thought BCM had a med program in Dallas also. I should know this, considering my sister went there for nursing school. I was probably confused because she talked about med students while in school but I guess those were SW folks she knew. :slight_smile:

My premed advisor says one important thing to consider is the question that may get asked in your interview: “What were you planning to do with this degree IF not accepted into medical school?”

That’s really important, IMO. Let me tell you about my sister. She’s of “traditional” premed age, and majored in biology. She half-heartedly took the MCAT last year, but never applied to med school. She just simply doesn’t want to be a doctor. Guess what. There’s not a lot she can do with her BS in Biology. She said she would “work in a lab” but “no one’s hiring.” I think you should get a MS at least if that’s your plan, anyway. Right now, she’s got a clerical job in a physician’s office. Whatever you choose, you will have to justify it to someone, so if you pick, say, Women’s Studies, you might be able to tell them that you will apply to the MPH program and work with women in underserved areas or SOMETHING. (And it’s not just about having a story for the AdCom, it’s also important to actually have a well thought out back-up plan).

You can major in anything that you find interesting. Med schools like well-rounded applicants.

I’ve never heard of an interviewer asking “what would you do with this degree if not med school?” for a bachelor’s degree. Often an interviewee is asked, “if you couldn’t ever go to med school, what would you do?” Or, “why did you major in this subject?”

I suspect if med schools expected you to have a bachelor’s degree in a subject that led directly to a career, there wouldn’t be any med students who majored in history, English, religion, computer science, etc. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy