Considering DO Program--Best Route from MH Career?

Greetings!
I am a 33 yr old married gal with a child at home (adopted from Russia in 2002) I have a BA in German (family is from there) and an MA in Rehabilitation Counseling and another in Guidance Counseling (got this second MA to meet grant requirements for an employer).
I have ALWAYS wanted to be a family dr–maybe even go into peds (we are experiencing a critical shortage in our rural area) and find myself really attracted to the DO program at www.lecom.edu.
I do not have a lot of sciences in my undergrad and not sure what the best route is to gain an advantage in getting accepted into this school. I can return to a nearby state school and take the sciences and try to apply (they have a 3 and 4 program–3 years of sciences with a focus in bio and then 4 years at LECOM earns a BS in Bio with completion of the first year of med school) The link for the program is at: http://webs.edinboro.edu/pubrel/admissions/brochures/fampractmed.pdf
OR gain these sciences at this school (www.edinboro.edu) and then do the post bacc program offered at LECOM (http://www.lecom.edu/academics/post.htm) Any thoughts on how to best prepare myself and best gain favor for acceptance?
I have been working as a mental health therapist for the last 11 years and would like to fulfill my dream of practicing medicine…I am especially now interested in international adoption medicine after witnessing the miraculous transformation of my daughter from a sickly orphanage baby to a wonderful, energetic toddler, all due to the combination of medicine, nutrition, love and affection and sensory stimulation. I am a bit hesitant, as I know that my whole family will have to make sacrifices. But…I am not getting any younger and ignoring the nagging desire is not going to lead to a very happy person! It is the one thing that I am most passionate about…but also most fearful about, being that getting accepted seems to be such a huge hurdle.
I have a friend who is a third year student at this school and she cannot say enough good about it. I am pretty much settled into our area and am nervous about only focusing on trying to get into one school. Am I making a fool of myself?
I am considering nursing as a back up plan.
Thanks so much in advance…
Blessings
Erica

Greetings and welcome to OPM, I am sure you will find a great bunch of people here.

As to what you should do. I did read through the program from your link and I haven’t heard about that program. It seems to be geared towards students just out of high school rather than people with degrees. Have you checked to make sure you are qualified to apply for the program.

Since you already have a degree plus 2 MAs, you could also take the classes you need as a post bac student and apply then. That way you could apply to a number of schools and not be tued to a certain one. You can apply with the minimum pre-med course work (1 year each of geneal biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and the labs with all those classes, plus 1year of math and english. ) You could take a few upper level courses as well to chose the adcoms you are able to handle the higher level. You could complete those courses in 2 years rather than 3. Just a suggestion to save you some time and money.

Perhaps someone here knows something about the program you are talking about at LECOM. Are you set in your mind that LECOM is the med school you want to attend?

Again welcome to OPM.

Quote:

I am especially now interested in international adoption medicine after witnessing the miraculous transformation of my daughter from a sickly orphanage baby to a wonderful, energetic toddler, all due to the combination of medicine, nutrition, love and affection and sensory stimulation. I

Erica,
Sounds like you have the makings of a great application essay here!
Seriously, I only considered one school, the one in my community. Speaking from experience, it definitely does not hurt you to have worked/volunteered for the school to which you are applying. If you do a good job and don’t annoy too many people, that is! Are you near LECOM?
At any rate, you could call LECOM and speak with an admissions counselor there to find out which way would ensure a greater chance of success.
Good luck in your quest!

Thanks to those whom have replied. I did speak with an Ambassador from LECOM and she advised that the core courses you suggested should be enough to turn an eye in the application process. If the admissions crew sees potential but is not satisfied with the grades or what not, then they request an applicant to complete the one year post bacc program that they offer.
I am now more focused on getting the basic sciences down. I am lining up some friends that teach as back up help just in case I meet any difficulties in abosorbing the material. I have not been in school for a while!
Is anyone else here interested in pediatrics?
Sincerely
Erica

Erica,
I start my EM residency at Alleghany General in Pittsburgh in less than 1 month. In my numerous months at AGH, I have had wonderful experiences with the LECOM students. I think it is a wonderful program.
Rachel
CCOM - Class 2004