Current non-traditional undergrad

Hello everyone,

I’m a junior at the University of Michigan currently pursuing a degree in art history. It suffices to say that I am more than dissatisfied with my current undergraduate work. I actually do miss those hard-sciences. Therefore, I am in need of some advice to work towards medicine.

By the time I’m scheduled to graduate, I should have around a 2.9 (not particularly a strong point).

As for medicine, it was something that I truly grew up with and have a deep respect for. My mother, an M.D. and R.Ph, went back to Med School when I was in first grade. Beyond that, I consistently worked in her private practice during high school. She was even able to give me the experience of observing a well-respected surgeon (in the O.R.) at the Medical University of Ohio on two different occaisions for a week.

When I came to college, I decided not to continue pursuing medicine because I was afraid that a career in medicine would not leave time for any other passions. Now as a junior, I realize that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is now my conviction that such a sacrifice would definitely be worthwhile only if it were to help people.

So I guess my confusion stems from attempting to decide on my next move back towards medicine. Is it a good idea to change my major right before my senior year, and then fulfill all of the premed prereqs and graduate with a dual major approximately a year and a half late? Or would I be better suited to graduate on time with a degree in art history, and try my hand with post-bac programs?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

• wolverine Said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan currently pursuing a degree in art history. It suffices to say that I am more than dissatisfied with my current undergraduate work. I actually do miss those hard-sciences. Therefore, I am in need of some advice to work towards medicine.

By the time I'm scheduled to graduate, I should have around a 2.9 (not particularly a strong point).

As for medicine, it was something that I truly grew up with and have a deep respect for. My mother, an M.D. and R.Ph, went back to Med School when I was in first grade. Beyond that, I consistently worked in her private practice during high school. She was even able to give me the experience of observing a well-respected surgeon (in the O.R.) at the Medical University of Ohio on two different occaisions for a week.

When I came to college, I decided not to continue pursuing medicine because I was afraid that a career in medicine would not leave time for any other passions. Now as a junior, I realize that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is now my conviction that such a sacrifice would definitely be worthwhile only if it were to help people.

So I guess my confusion stems from attempting to decide on my next move back towards medicine. Is it a good idea to change my major right before my senior year, and then fulfill all of the premed prereqs and graduate with a dual major approximately a year and a half late? Or would I be better suited to graduate on time with a degree in art history, and try my hand with post-bac programs?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Knowing how GPA's are sliced and diced on medical school admissions, I think finishing your current major first and then do post-bacc work will have more of an impact to adcoms. All your academic work is broken out into a small chart for the admissions committee" your undergraduate GPA (broken down into science and non-science) post-bacc, graduated, and overall. If you take a year or so of the hard sciences, it won't bring up your overall GPA by that much. However, if you show your preqs via a separate post-bacc, it will show up as separate higher GPA on the application. At least that has been my view.

I agree with Gonnif, dont poop out on ur current major. Finish it and finish it to the best of your ability. THEN come back and do a post-bacc program.

• putnam2800 Said:
I agree with Gonnif, dont poop out on ur current major. Finish it and finish it to the best of your ability. THEN come back and do a post-bacc program.

BTW, Putnam2800's own blog on being a non-trad starts with

"BUY MILK, GET CAR WASHED, RETURN DVD, GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL"

I love it