D.C. looking to add M.D.

I am a licensed and practicing Doctor of Chiropractic, and I am looking to go back to school to get my M.D. I would ideally like to practice dually, integrating chiropractic care with allopathic medicine. I am 27, no kids and unmarried. I am looking at FSU and UF medical schools, but I would look at others. Are there any contacts at these schools that could help with my specific situation? Any counselors or advisers at all that can give me advice about what schools would be best for this?

• Chiro Said:
I am a licensed and practicing Doctor of Chiropractic, and I am looking to go back to school to get my M.D. I would ideally like to practice dually, integrating chiropractic care with allopathic medicine. I am 27, no kids and unmarried. I am looking at FSU and UF medical schools, but I would look at others. Are there any contacts at these schools that could help with my specific situation? Any counselors or advisers at all that can give me advice about what schools would be best for this?

Your situation is unique, just like everyone else.

The preparation and process that you need to follow in order to be a successful medical school applicant will be the same, DC or not. Inventory the prereqs you have, you need, MCATs, LOR, etc.

The issue that an adcom will have is likely to be commitment and your desire to be a physician. If you were committed to being a chiropractor then why a switch to MD? And if you want to be an MD, what is this wanting to do both chiropractor and allopathic medicine? You are going to have to find a coherent, concise and compelling narrative to win an adcom over.

Having said that, we recently had a DC go to DPM

Link to DrDriddle DC to DPM

I have read about a few DC to DO on other sites and would imagine there has been successful DC to MD.

It is often suggested that you contact the schools you are interested in directly with a short email explaining your background and questions, directed to admissions or recruitment.

Last month I interviewed a resident applicant from Ross who had been a practicing chiropractor in the Houston area for a number of years. He made the leap after having worked in a multi-specialty practice that employed DCs, MDs and PTs. He intends to incorporate both chiropractic and allopathic medicine into his practice after residency and sports med fellowship. His credentials were quite impressive. It can, and has, been done.