@ Dazed, or other MSI+, Drs, etc

Not meaning to exclude anyone, just aiming my question at those who have traversed the pharmacology path in med school… and saw Dazed’s post on his remediation of pharma… and that he is from my area. Obviously, ANYONE can respond

Anyhoooooo, Dazed (et al), I have an option to take an upper level pharmacology course this spring. It’d fit nicely with my schedule of work and school, is aimed at “matricualting students” .

That said, I’m wondering if ya’ll think it would help when accepted to med school? (YES, I really said, “When” not “If”!)

It sure won’t hurt. A basic understanding of the mechanisms of action, especially with antibiotics, will definitely give you an advantage when you’re drinking from the pharm firehose. I would recommend taking biochem first if you haven’t already.

Thanks for responding.

The course is 2.5 hours, 1x per week; focused on various disease states and the medications used to treat from lipids to SSRI to …

I’m taking two biochem courses in spring, and then I think, the pharma class. The one bioc is akin to ochem 1 with a sugar emphasis and teaching Fischer projections which are NOT being used in ochem 1, and the upper level bioc is the pre-req for genetics which I’m taking next year.

These are my last courses before MCAT and… /gulp… applying (assuming I continue to get "A"s)

Just dont risk a bad grade by taking a course that will be too hard or too much work. Remember the MCAT prep should be considered at least a hard 3 credit course (I suggest more like 6 credits). A good MCAT is much more important that a single Pharma course

• gonnif Said:
Just dont risk a bad grade ... Remember the MCAT prep should be considered at least a hard 3 credit course... A good MCAT is much more important that a single Pharma course

Absolutely spot-on advice and will be well heeded.

I'm trying to find a "small" 2 or 3 cr course to go with the biochem ones so I can show progression from two courses to three courses right before applying (and working full time) with solid "A"s... but maybe this pharma class could wait until glide year...

Thank you!