Deciding

Hi everyone, It is nice to know there are other people who instead of buying the red car for midlife crises are instead making career changes like myself. My problem is that I am almost 40, a CPA candidate and I hate my job. In the last 3 years I have been trying to take pre-med classes at night but due to loss of job among other things it has been difficult. I think the 2 most difficult things for me to decide is whether to go the allied health route or the PA route or the doctor route. There were so many specialties.

Oh sorry let me give you a little backgroud, I am the only one in my immediate family who is not in the health field. My father is a dentist, my siblings in medical and psychology. What was I thinking to go business.

So I will take any advice on how not to be afraid to quit a job at this age, start a family and anything else that will help.

Dear Pghm,

I empathize. I’m 40something and in the middle of taking my science courses. I am taking pre-reqs for both med and PA school. There is a lot of overlap and I figure that the decision will become clearer to me over time. I would suggest, as so many others have done, to shadow some docs and PAs and anyone else in the health business. Even just one day at a busy hospital can give you a very valuable perspective. With family already in the business I suppose you already have some sense of what the different jobs entail and what the highs and lows are. Try to spend some time with a PA in particular. if you can. I wish you luck! It is a tall mountain to climb but if you really want to do it, it is not out of reach.

Thanks.