Diet Thread

Congratulations, all of you! My understanding is the slower weight loss is more likely to last than the faster methods (most people I know on Atkins gained the weight back).
I have read that weight lifting help boost your metabolism because muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. I know it’s hard to fit it into already busy schedules but it does wonders (as others have said) for stress and your engergy level.
I need to do more of it and you have all inspired me to try.

That’s true!! I realized the other day that aspects of losing weight reminded me of the journey to medical school. It was a long haul, sometimes you didn’t ever think you’d get there, and had days where you just wanted to pull your hair out, and it was a learning process the whole way. When I thought of that, it made things a lot easier for me.
Kathy

Kathy,
1.4# lost this week for me. Total of 10.8# I was hoping to be at 12, but at least I am going in the right direction. I need to exercise more.
Shirl

Shirl,
Me too. Exercise has never been much of a priority for me. I have increased my walking through regular activity and I know I’m having more energy now. But, I’ll have to come up with something more strenuous.
Kathy

I stayed OP last week, including through my birthday yesterday (42) and had a weigh in today for a loss of 2 pounds this week!!! That is 17 total on Weight Watchers and 22 total!! I can’t tell the difference in clothes much yet, but I sure feel lighter in my steps.
Kathy

My travel schedule has made exercise very hard but I am going to try (only three weeks of the campaign to go!).
Good work to all of you!

I’ve been trying to get back into the swing of things since the Summer ended… summer school messed up my schedule bad!
My MIL and I are trying to lose 10 pounds by Thanksgiving. At this point I don’t think it looks all that favorable… but who knows. I’m right there with you guys!
Let’s keep going!

I got in 20 minutes on the treadmill (1.5 miles) and about 20 laps in the pool (short laps) and some strengtening stuff I do. My challenge (on first workouts after a while is always to NOT overdo it.
My job has a lot of workouts (all sorts of running around) but always feels good to set the time aside to workout).

Kathy,
1.6 # for me this week. Total of 12.4 # in 7 weeks.
Hopefully, slow , but sure will mean the weight will stay off.
Shirl

Shirl,
No loss, no gain this week, with a 7 week average of 2.4 pounds (17 lost on Weight Watchers, 22 total since mid-August), I suppose I shouldn’t be upset, but its so SLOWWW , though I also know that’s best. Still, we’ll keep it up!! Everyone who is posting here - lets keep going to keep each other motivated!!!
Kathy

WOO HOO!!! Six pounds lost this week!!! That is 23 on Weight Watchers and 27 total!!! Still no knee pain, I’m walking all around, have tons more energy, and the steering wheel isn’t right on me anymore!!!
Kathy

Todays weigh in: one pound lost for 24 on Weight Watchers and 28 total in 2 months!! If my weight loss continues at this rate, I will have lost about 60 pounds by the time I start medical school!!
Kathy

Kathy,
Congrats, you go girl!
I am sorry to say that I have missed WW for the past 2 weeks ( schedule conflict and illness). Eek! Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks. So I am hoping to stay the same.( a waste of 3 weeks time rather than 2-6# weight loss)
Shirl

Hi - I’m new around here, but wanted to jump in. I’m on WW - lots left to go. But I’m also nursing an almost 12 month old, so it’s coming over Very Slowly. :stuck_out_tongue:

>How I wish that there were healthy fast food places…
Subway…?
>Any one have any ideas on how to boost metabolism? Is there a
>possibility that such a thing can be done?
Exercise. If you do nothing but watch what you eat and walk 3 miles a day you’ll be amazed what the change is in 6 months.

Healthy fast food:
At subway places, look at the menus online or the nutritional info in the store to find the best choices. The tuna and seafood salads at Cousin’s have so much mayo that the 6" roast beef has fewer calories than the 4" seafood mini-sub.
Wendy’s Mandarin Chicken salad without the noodles and with half the dressing.
Most of the soups and the salads (ask them to leave the cheese off) at Culver’s.
At burger places, have a plain hamburger with no cheese and no mayo. You can add extra tomatoes, onions, and/or lettuce if you want to get a few little bits of veggies in.
You can get healthy, or at least reasonable, food choices almost anywhere if you plan ahead and stick to your plan. This is sometimes hard if you’re already very hungry when you get there!
To increase metabolism, be sure to include weight training. An extra pound of muscles burns up to 50 calories a day just sitting around on your body.