Dilemma

I received a job offer today. Currently, I work in a job that is completely unrelated to health care. The job that I am considering involves HIV and STD education/counseling.

My current employer does not want to lose me and offered to match the salary.

Will ADCOMs look more favorably at a job that is related to health care as opposed to having greater longevity at a job out of the field?

Congrats on being “wanted.”

The answer depends on your exposure to healthcare already and the amount of volunteering/shadowing that you have.

If you feel solid in those areas then choose the job you will be happier at.

Thanks Doc Gray!

It’s such a hard decision. I can’t begin to speculate the intricacies of the new job and how “happy” I will be. I think that I would enjoy the new job, because of what it entails, for sure. It feels like a step in the right direction, but I am so conflicted.

They care about the direction you’re headed. I think the new job will give you more to talk about during interviews. Working with HIV counseling is also going to expose you to so much and you can easily work that into your app/interview. Now I say take the job IF you’re interested in it not merely for ADCOMS. If you’re not accepted to med school would you enjoy that type of work? I’m miserable in research admin so I would take the jump but then again my current boss was just selected as the Chair of the Dept. of Surgery at a university and with it comes the ability to admit 2 applicants to med school per year. He is my new bestest friend. =0)

• In reply to:
my current boss was just selected as the Chair of the Dept. of Surgery at a university and with it comes the ability to admit 2 applicants to med school per year. He is my new bestest friend. =0)

Sooo...are you guys hiring?!!! LOL. Wow, I'm jealous. I had no idea such a thing even existed. It's kind of like finding a golden ticket, but with significantly better odds!

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely leaning more toward the new job. I like that I will have the opportunity to beef up on my HIV/STD knowledge. It's been a while since immunology. In addition, I do look forward to having that human interaction, something that is grossly lacking in my current job.

It sounds as if the job will be a good move.

Don’t be jealous. I know some big folk in some key places but I’ve also been around these people for 16 years…when they weren’t big. I still need to maintain a high GPA and do well on the MCAT so nothing’s guaranteed. My LOR’s might be weightier but I still need the stats…plus there are many who are put off by “big folk” LOR’s so it’s all just a crapshoot anyway. All I know is I will do what I can to help those who ask when I’m in a position to do more than offer sage advice.