DIY Post Bacc vs Post Bacc Program

I’m trying to decide between doing a DIY post bacc on my own at the university where I live or moving to do an official pre-med post bacc program. I’m a non-trad, 30 in a few months. My undergraduate degree was in International Relations so I need to take all the science courses, as my degree didn’t require any other than standard biology. Since the university near me doesn’t have an official pre med post bacc, would it be better to move for one? The University does however have a pretty good medical school and staying here to take classes with them could possibly help me get in there as I make more connections. Thoughts?

Would you just be taking the standard undergrad level classes? If so, I don’t think it really matters whether it’s a “sanctioned” program or on your own other than for maybe funding and ease of scheduling. The formal program may have some advising or a committee letter, which are theoretically helpful but in my opinion not wholly necessary. (Take that with a grain of salt, I did a DIY online postbacc for 4 classes).

I don’t think it matters. I wouldn’t move if you need to. If you can take the pre-req classes at this university which you live nearby, then that is probably better. Being part of a program doesn’t necessarily mean its better. However, maybe make use of the advisor at the med school near you to help guide you. And I agree with you that if you stay there and make connections - it may help you for the future in applying there. Good luck!

I believe it was Menhenne that mentioned med schools were unimpressed by the second bachelor’s degree she obtained as part of her (DIY?) post-bacc, but were more interested in the biochem minor. So apparently those looking for a post-bacc should be looking for character, not beauty; and content, not reputation.

@Kennymac wrote:

Would you just be taking the standard undergrad level classes? If so, I don’t think it really matters whether it’s a “sanctioned” program or on your own other than for maybe funding and ease of scheduling. The formal program may have some advising or a committee letter, which are theoretically helpful but in my opinion not wholly necessary. (Take that with a grain of salt, I did a DIY online postbacc for 4 classes).

Thanks for your insight. Yup, I would be taking just undergrad classes, ten of them. I’m meeting with the university’s pre-med advisor next week, which will be good to get their feedback.

@PuffyCheeks36 wrote:

I don’t think it matters. I wouldn’t move if you need to. If you can take the pre-req classes at this university which you live nearby, then that is probably better. Being part of a program doesn’t necessarily mean its better. However, maybe make use of the advisor at the med school near you to help guide you. And I agree with you that if you stay there and make connections - it may help you for the future in applying there. Good luck!

Thanks! I made an appointment a month ago to meet with the university’s pre-med advisors. That appointment is next week and I’m looking forward to hearing what they say.

@eirikr1 wrote:

I believe it was Menhenne that mentioned med schools were unimpressed by the second bachelor’s degree she obtained as part of her (DIY?) post-bacc, but were more interested in the biochem minor. So apparently those looking for a post-bacc should be looking for character, not beauty; and content, not reputation.

Good to know, thanks!