Do all docs work 80+ a week?

And I need to add quickly before anyone gets the wrong idea - I like what I do and I don’t think I’m working any harder than people in lots of other fields. My self-employed husband took a call from a client this afternoon while we were out at the farmer’s market, and he’s been working evening alongside me all this past week. To me, a 60-hour workweek seems about right if you are giving a demanding job your all.

Mary

yeah, the “in the office” is the clincher.

I take solace in the fact that all I have to do is mention a sale at Macy’s and my mom drops her charts like hot potatoes!

LOL!

I am not sure where folks are getting this notion that FM docs work 40 hr/week…from my perspective these docs routinely work longer and harder than many other specialties. I hear a lot about 8-5 but this may be OLDER and more ESTABLISHED physicians with YEARS of practice under their belt. Beware folks! as a newly minted physician you will NOT fall into this category! EXPECT to work 60 hrs/week and go from there. Also, many docs start clinic at 8 and go to 5 but remember, there are CHARTS to review BEFORE seeing patients AND then there are notes. So sure, they may start with patients at 8 and see them until 5, but are there at 6 and may not leave until 7…BUYER BEWARE.

I have a feeling those that work 8-5 are part time LOL!

Heck, I don’t even work a 40-hour week (more like 50). It would be nice, though.