Do I have a chance

HI,

I’m 52 years old,I have had many experiences as an environmental health inspector, Law enforcement(Deputy Sheriff) and Accounting.My GPA is 3.7 and MCAt 33. Do you think,I have a chance to get accepted? Please Help.

Thanks!

Off the bat, you look like an excellent candidate. Don’t let someone’s off-handed ageist comment shake you. The following link should be of help:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

• Nagi Said:
HI,

I'm 52 years old,I have had many experiences as an environmental health inspector, Law enforcement(Deputy Sheriff) and Accounting. My GPA is 3.7 and MCAT 33. Do you think,I have a chance to get accepted? Please Help.

Thanks!

Nagi,

Welcome! I think it's safe to say that there have been many posters over the years that would love to have your stats. If you can weave all of your varied life experiences (environmental health inspector, law enforcement (Deputy Sheriff) and accounting) into a cohesive personal statement that demonstrates attributes medical schools value in an incoming class such as diversity, leadership, service to society, mentoring others, and a pattern of commitment (the law enforcement background alone should satisfy most of these criteria), then I would say you might have a decent shot at acceptance somewhere. Your age could be an issue at some allopathic schools, but it won't be a dealbreaker everywhere as long as you are prepared to answer why medicine, why now.

Since you've already taken the MCAT and achieved an impressive score, I assume you've already completed the pre-reqs. Were you planning to apply this year or next? Because you are older, I wouldn't procrastinate in applying much longer if you're serious about making this happen.