Do I have the courage??? Beginning the Journey

Hi guys. I am new here (this is my first post). I would really like some feed back from all of you knowledgeable people about what process I might be able to take to have the opportunity to apply to Med School (who knows if I will make it in but I am going to try my hardest).

I am currently 33 years old. I have an undergraduate degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology (B.S.) and 2 other graduate level degrees (non-science). During undergrad I really excelled in my program and was awarded teaching assistant positions for the last three semesters of college. I also participated in Public Health research at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. during my undergrad years the only courses I took that qualified for the pre-med requirements were two semesters of Physics and (not necessarily a requirement) one semester of Calculus. I did take many other courses which covered much of the same material as General Biology, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry but they were specific for the life sciences and thus would not qualify. Some years later I took the remaining Pre-Maed requirements (2 semesters of General Bio, Organic Chem, General Chem). All of the classes I did very well in except the second semester of Orgo (I got a B). My overall pre-med GPA is pretty high but many of the courses we completed so long ago. I am under the assumption that many of these classes would have to be retaken. Is this correct?? I finished College in 1997 and the rest of the pre-med courses in 2003.

I am really worried about starting this journey at age 33 and giving up the somewhat stable financial life I have now. How do you all do it??? How can you be an older person and complete your pre-med requirements (I assume I will have to retake many) and study for the MCAT, prepare the application process, and still be able to have a wife (or husband) and kids and at least partially contribute to the bills???

I know this is a long post but any support you guys can give in helping me find a way to my dreams would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MVACC

• MVACC Said:

I am really worried about starting this journey at age 33 and giving up the somewhat stable financial life I have now. How do you all do it??? How can you be an older person and complete your pre-med requirements (I assume I will have to retake many) and study for the MCAT, prepare the application process, and still be able to have a wife (or husband) and kids and at least partially contribute to the bills??????

MVACC - these are great questions to be asking yourself at this stage. You will see in many threads that having "life" to deal with in addition to going to school and getting good grades is something that makes the non-trad different than the trad. Add to these questions some more around energy levels, peers who are 10-25 years apart from you in age range (I am 48), less time to rebound from med school debt, aging parents, etc and you see that embarking on this journey is serious and confusing business.

I have thought about and discussed these things with my wife, parents and a few other "trusted" advisors. And guess what? I don't have all the answers. I don't know how this will all work out. All I know is that I have had a burning in my gut for the last 25 years to do this, and all that life has to offer including a family, successful career, house, cars, horses, etc have not put the burning aside. So I will follow my energy and passion, and have faith that the other things will work their way out. That is not to say I will ignore them.

I am going to go out on a limb and mention something here. I don't mean to offend you or others reading this thread. The faith I have is in God - that He has placed this passion within me and He will see it through. It is up to me to listen and follow, AND to use the gifts He has given me to the best of my abilities. I also have a committment to my family first, so somehow this all needs to happen without ripping up my family. How that is going to happen I don't know, but I have the faith...

Good for you for asking these questions - good luck in your journey in finding the answers for you. I firmly believe that if you have the passion and drive, you will find your way through this and reach your goals.

Adam