Do I retake the MCAT with a score of 26?

I took the MCAT in March and just got my scores: VR and PS–8 and BS–10. Writing sample was “O”. I only studied about a month for this, soooooo

Should I plan on REALLY studying and retaking the exam in August? What do you all think?

It isn’t a great score but it depends on where you are applying. Some of the DO schools report median scores of 26. Take a look at your target school(s) data and decide based on that. If your grades are competitive, you will still need a competitive MCAT score.

The question has multiple factors to consider.

Timing. Your chances go down as the application cycle continues. And the schools know that you have registered to take the MCAT again and will hold your application to review until your new scores are received.

Score. Unless you can study and consistently get at least a 29 or higher, it may not be worth it. You should know what score you are really consistently capable of achieving from practice exams BEFORE you register for the exam so the schools don’t hold your application. But you may not be able to do that while you are still prepping, so your application will be reviewed. Can someone say “Catch-22”?

Many students suffer from what I call “premature application.” If you apply with a weak application, get rejected, then reapply next year, you have then have the added factor of having to explain why you were rejected.

However, assuming the rest of your application is good, you may a excellent candidate to apply this cycle. You know why you are weak and know you can fix it. If you get rejected, retake the MCAT with say 30 or better, then apply next cycle, you’ll show an hell of an improvement. Approx 25% of the applicants in last year’s AMCAS cycle were 2nd time applicants or more. I do not know the statistics of acceptance on this group.

In sum, I think applying this year with the 26 is the way to go. But I would keep your toes in the water during the float year with at least a class, volunteering, or such to help bolster your application if you need to reapply as well as bust your butt on an MCAT retake if need be

Thanks, everyone. I think what I’m going to do is study for the “retake”, but not register until the last minute if I get super-paranoid and feel the need. Although I wish I’d done better, the score isn’t awful.

I think what I’m going to do now is keep the faith and work on putting together a kick-ass application. I have good clinical experience, documented and published research experience, a bunch of science course-work with a decent GPA, and a lot of professional support for letters of recommendation. I’m also taking some classes to keep my head in the game.

We’ll see what happens–after all, the worst that can happen is they say “NO!” and I apply again next year.

• cecily55 Said:
Thanks, everyone. I think what I'm going to do is study for the "retake", but not register until the last minute if I get super-paranoid and feel the need. Although I wish I'd done better, the score isn't awful.

Remember Rule 10: FUD factor - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt kill more premed than the MCAT and GPA. Don't let your paranoia get to you

• cecily55 Said:
I think what I'm going to do now is keep the faith and work on putting together a kick-ass application. I have good clinical experience, documented and published research experience, a bunch of science course-work with a decent GPA, and a lot of professional support for letters of recommendation. I'm also taking some classes to keep my head in the game.

We'll see what happens--after all, the worst that can happen is they say "NO!" and I apply again next year.

I like your plan, its balanced, has options and keeps you heads up and your feet on the ground. No doubt in a few years we will be calling you Doctor!