DO Internships?

Is it true that Osteopathic students have to do a 1 year internship before entering residency? I read this on another forum which was having a very heated debate about the whole silly MD vs. DO thing. Any DO’s, residents or students that could clarify this for me?

No and yes. There are a handful of states (4) that require you to do a DO traditional rotating internship. That being said, there is a way to get the AOA to give you credit to get around that requirement (search for resolution 42). Most states will license you after an ACGME-accredited intern year - so its not really applicable unless you plan on practicing in one of those 4 states. I know PA is one, but the others, I’m not so sure of.

• somedayDrA Said:
No and yes. There are a handful of states (4) that require you to do a DO traditional rotating internship. That being said, there is a way to get the AOA to give you credit to get around that requirement (search for resolution 42).

Oops - messed up the quote thing. The rest is me - Kate

(actually, you can get the credit for an ACGME-accredited first year residency using resolution 42. But if your program is dually accredited, in many areas -including family practice of course and internal medicine - the first year of your residence satisfies the "traditional rotating internship" year.

Some folks do an internship if they haven't decided what area of medicine they want to match into yet, or if they fail to match into a specialty residency. Some few specialties require a "general" internship year before applying to them regardless of if you are an MD or DO student, but the DO rotating intership can be used to fulfill this requirement.

Clear as mud?

Kate

Thanks Someday for resolution 42,I definitely will dig deeper into the subject, and thank you Kate for adding some clarity, you made it a bit more transparent than mud I might add. As always on OPM, ask you shall recieve!