DO Residence Four Years in Florida?

I found out the EM is four years for an AOA residency. The only way around it is to take the USMLE Steps to get a MD residency.

In addition, in states PA, MI, and FL require the “DO internship”. From what I understand, you can get Resolution 42 approval from the AOA for your 1st year in an ACGME residency in most circumstances, allowing you to skip the AOA internship requirements. Not sure how hard this is to get.

My question is Family Medicine Four years in Florida in an AOA residency or is that just EM?

Also, how hard is it to get Resolution 42 Approval?

Thanks

• thomasfx10 Said:
I found out the EM is four years for an AOA residency. The only way around it is to take the USMLE Steps to get a MD residency.

In addition, in states PA, MI, and FL require the "DO internship". From what I understand, you can get Resolution 42 approval from the AOA for your 1st year in an ACGME residency in most circumstances, allowing you to skip the AOA internship requirements. Not sure how hard this is to get.

My question is Family Medicine Four years in Florida in an AOA residency or is that just EM?

Also, how hard is it to get Resolution 42 Approval?

Thanks

You should post this also in the Med Student and Resident section

I believe that most ACGME programs will accept a COMLEX score and do require an USMLE score as well.
  • In reply to:
In addition, in states PA, MI, and FL require the "DO internship". From what I understand, you can get Resolution 42 approval from the AOA for your 1st year in an ACGME residency in most circumstances, allowing you to skip the AOA internship requirements. Not sure how hard this is to get.

I don't think it's too hard. My program (an ACGME program) actually offers a "combined" DO track. The interns who are DOs do a few different rotations (IM, FM months) so they don't have to do the traditional AOA internship. Not all residencies do this. Many (in your previously named states) require that DO grads do an AOA internship year. If you're outside of those states, it varies from program to program how friendly they are to DOs.

I’m not all that familiar with FL programs (I’m in GA), but if you are considering family med as an alternative, I think that most programs’ PGY-1 curricula meet the Florida statute of “AOA internship,” i.e. you would not need an additional year. As for whether you should take USMLE step exams, this varies program to program. Our program (Medical College of GA) only requires Comlex for DO applicants, regardless of which match they go through.

Thanks for the replies! I really want to practice in Florida, and was not looking for a four year residency for FM.