Does admissions care for mitigating circumstances?

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. My wife has been ill and even hospitalized for a while, so I have been taking care of her and getting her back to health.

I have a question regarding mitigating circumstances that may help explain a low gpa. Do any of you think that offering an explanation of a low gpa (for me, this reason occurred throughout college) would resonate with the admissions committee, or would they pass it off as another sob story?

You see, my issue is that while my explanation is 100% truthful, it wasn’t exactly documented and able to be substantiated, at least not any way I know. It was a major catalyst for my performance issues, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts if admissions give any weight to these stories.

Thanks everyone!

When doing you PS you basically have to explain a low GPA, the key is to be able to show that you have learned and moved past that phase of your life. My UG Cumm GPA was around 3.1 (what my transcript says not AAMC) but my post-bacc is 3.9. So I basically said that as an undergrad I wasn’t very mature, but as you can see once I got my act together I know what I am doing. They want to see if you can handle the courseload of medical school.

I agree with BaileyPup,

You use your personal statement as a sales letter. Overcome the obstacle in your personal statement and give a good reason why even though you have a low GPA you have overcome, and will do better.

Another piece of advice is to call the actual admissions office and talk to somebody because there is a possibility that your application isn’t even viewed. Schools have the ability to only pull down applications that meet certain criteria and yours might not have even made the cut. When you call you can ask that the application be looked at because…

You’d be surprised how far a phone call can get you.

Good luck!