Does your school require health insurance?

I just found out that Baylor requires everyone to sign up for their health insurance program. But, we already have family coverage under my husband, so I don't want to pay $140+ a month for insurance I don't need. They have a waiver process, but it is a real pain. I have to submit a bunch of stuff from the insurance company (which I'm having a hard time getting) and I have one shot at getting the waiver approved. If they don't approve it, I will be automatically signed up for their insurance. I also will have to redo the waiver every year.
Has anyone else been through something similar? Any secrets I should know before I start this waiver process?
Thanks!

QUOTE (spacecadet @ Jun 18 2003, 08:59 AM)
I just found out that Baylor requires everyone to sign up for their health insurance program. But, we already have family coverage under my husband, so I don't want to pay $140+ a month for insurance I don't need. They have a waiver process, but it is a real pain. I have to submit a bunch of stuff from the insurance company (which I'm having a hard time getting) and I have one shot at getting the waiver approved. If they don't approve it, I will be automatically signed up for their insurance. I also will have to redo the waiver every year.
Has anyone else been through something similar? Any secrets I should know before I start this waiver process?
Thanks!

Hi there,
Howard's insurance came with the tuition and was automatic. We didn't have a choice but you could add a rider for family.
Natalie

UCI required health insurance for all students, ugrad & grad, including professional school.
the waiver process was pretty simple for me as a ugrad.
unfortunately the way the financials work out - I was charged up front for the insurance, and the waiver kicked in later in the term reducing the final amount I owed and/or as a rebate.

The Univ of Maryland requires that you be covered by health insurance. If you can show them that you are covered by a spouse's or family policy, then the requirement is waived. The waiver is granted by the Student Health Office. Otherwise, you will automatically be enrolled.
Hope this helps,
Tara