Doing A DIY/Formal Post-Bac with a Science Degree

I have a biology degree already but due to low science grades I will have to retake the pre-med requirements. How many of you have been in this situation? Did you do a formal post-bac or an informal post-bac? Is it easier to register as a 2nd degree student and not finish the degree if it’s the informal route? I will be doing an upper level science this coming summer and would just like some more advice.

I took a fair amount (but not all) of my prereqs way back in the late 90s. I recently finished a formal postbacc where I completed all my pre-reqs. For me, it was easier to do a formal one but that was primarily due to my specific situation. There are also some perks to doing a formal program that may sway you.

It may be difficult to find formal postbacc programs if you are looking for academic “enrichment” but they are out there.

Right now I’m going the DIY route.

I’d look into Special masters programs as well.

I have an MSN. I just need a few more courses.

I have a bio degree and Ph.D. and am taking the DIY route. Due to the differences between the UK and USA systems I need college level physics & chemistry (plus the math pre-reqs for those). It would have been great to be able to study full time but financial realities mean that I have to work full time, so it’s the DIY route for (plus I don’t have to take the bio classes that I would in a formal program).

2 degrees in Engineering, and I’m doing the DIY route.

It is a lot easier to come in as a post-bach (2nd degree) student, because you get priority scheduling in most cases. I had to declare a major (Chemistry) when I began to register for courses, but I’m not going to complete a degree.

• bennard Said:
2 degrees in Engineering, and I'm doing the DIY route.

It is a lot easier to come in as a post-bach (2nd degree) student, because you get priority scheduling in most cases. I had to declare a major (Chemistry) when I began to register for courses, but I'm not going to complete a degree.

For the folks who don't know, going this route also gives you access to financial aide.

Graduating with my PhD next month, praise God!

The DIY route seemed best for me as I just need to take O Chem and Physics.

for those of us that are going to be taking the MCAT after 2015 are there any extra courses we should be taking? I’m figuring that bio, chem, physics and Ochem will still be required, but will the future premeds also need formal courses in psych, and/or sociology, etc to meet the cultural etiologies push?

Yes, if you’re applying after 2015, you’ll likely need Biochemistry, and two semesters of social sciences (Psychology, Sociology, etc). We had another thread about those requirements over in the application forum. See here: http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…