Easy "A" but.....MCAT?????

So I’m taking a Micro class right now. I’m enjoying the instruction but unfortunately not happy with my fellow students. I was apprehensive when I started my first science class because the labs were such a mystery. However this is my 3rd science class and after the 1st I realized that the biggest problem with the lab is actually learning the “why” of what I’m doing. I can go thru an entire semester just following the recipe and never stop to think about what’s going on and why. I resolved this by finding labs which come before the lecture. No need to speed thru so now I just take my time and learn what’s going on…so what’s the problem you ask?
THE OTHER STUDENTS! Their behaviour in lab isn’t a problem because we all have questions…but yesterday our professor made the enormous mistake of asking for input on our exam. The whining, bitchin, and crying came flowing out…the damn had been broken and there was no stopping it. For the entire course our professor has given us a handout with which vocab words to know, questions we need to be able to answer, tables/graphs to understand, and which review questions to focus on…she basically outlined the chapters for us…
AND
THEY WANT A TEST REVIEW SHEET
AND
a website where they can take a practise test
AND
a day of review before the test
AND
…I’m sure you get the picture…they want the test before hand.
After a quite annoying young lady, who has been in each of my previous classes…and withdrawn each time…decided to “speak for the class” on what SHE wants I just got up and walked out. Lecture was over and now this was elementary school. The most disconcerting piece was the only other “pre-med” student in the class was chiming right along about how much we had to know, it’s not fair, we have jobs,…
He had pulled me aside during lab to ask what I thought his chances were of becoming a surgeon if he can’t stand the sciences. I told him these classes were a means to an end. Unless he wants to get into research these classes are the gauntlet we have to pass thru to get to medical school. However the best thing to do is relate it as much as possible to medical school. As a corpsman I’ve heard of “gram positive bacteria” so we need to give X antibiotic and never understood what the heck that was nor why…I now do. For G-d sakes…we’re study Microbiology and looking at bacteria and he can’t make the connection!
Gals & guys…I’m trying…I really am but please tell me this isn’t the norm. I just can’t believe that grown men and women are taking science classes to get into nursing and medical school and want everything spoon fed…even more than what we’re getting.
The reason I’ve titled it “Easy 'A”…is because I’m pretty darn sure I’m getting an “A” out of this class but not too sure how much it’ll help come MCAT time.
I apologize for the rant but when the teacher mentions a take home test, the students jump at the oppurtunity and when she explains these test are more difficult because they require thought and not just finding the answer in the book…THREE students actually said “Why do we have to think”
Signed,
Disillusioned with future nurses and wannabe pre-med in my Micro class.

yup, and sometimes the most loud and obnoxious are fellow non-trads…everyone wants the easy way out. Keep at it and you will succeed…

It comes and goes, really. There are probably a few quiet people who were just as astonished as you were, and a few more who got caught up in the moment. Just remember Sturgeon’s Law: 80% of everything is simply awful.
I find incredulous laughter helps me a lot. And I do occasionally respond to the worst comments with, “I paid money to be here. I’m not opposed to thinking. I want to come out smarter than I came in.” If you watch your tone of voice when you say it you can get away with it and it at least reduces the whining in your vicinity. But you have to do this rarely and with a sense of humor or when the time comes that you need a study group you’ll be the only one in it.
Hang in there. It’ll pass.

Dear Disillusioned ,
Ah, I can so relate. As I’ve posted on this board before I’ve actually switched from pre-med to pre-nursing. Last semester I started taking A&P I at my local Tech (CC for you non-NH people). Now perhaps I’m a bit more academically-minded than some… I’ve always loved school and have been relatively good at it without having to try too hard. But that being said, as I started pursuing med school and now nursing school I’ve found a whole new motivation for learning the necessary material. If I’m going to be someone’s nurse I want to be darn sure I know as much as I can about what’s going on with him/her. So I read my textbook, made flashcards where appropriate and carried them in my purse so I could pull them out when I had a spare moment, quizzed myself, etc. When I went into tests I felt very confident that I knew what was necessary to do well. It certainly helped that my professor passed out study sheets listing exactly what we needed to know for the lecture and lab portions of our exams. And my grades reflected this. Yet among my classmates the howls were loud and strong. “It’s so much to learn, this is so hard.” I remember one test on which one quarter of the questions were on muscle physiology and a woman asked the professor right before the test was handed out “Can you go over muscle physiology again?” Huh!!! Um, didn’t you study that? Do you really think his two-minute schpiel will make up for the fact that you didn’t study this? Then there was the after-test whining… “Well, see, I didn’t understand what you were asking here, so I thought…” Hmm, perhaps if you didn’t understand something you should have asked the professor for clarification WHILE you were taking the test rather than grubbing for the points afterwards. I, too, was absolutely appalled at the behavior of my classmates, many of whom were older than myself. We all have outside obligations and sometimes school work won’t get the full attention it needs, but honestly, if you want to be a nursing student the subject matter is certainly not going to get easier!
That rant over, A&P II started up last Saturday. I recognize most of my classmates from the spring and yet many are missing… coincidentally many of the loudest whiners are among that number. So I’m hopeful that this semester will be a bit more productive.
I’m not really sure what one does about the whiners other than to try and block them out as much as possible. As one of my college friends (who went back to school for her BSN) says, if they don’t get it now they likely won’t get into the program, and if by some miracle they do get into their program they will still have to pass the classes and the licensing exam and those things are not for the faint of heart. I think many people think they’ll become a nurse or doctor without really knowing what all it entails. Don’t worry, they’ll find out sooner or later. Keep your head down, do what you need to do, and do your best to ignore the others.

I had a very similar situation in my A&P 2 class … it was so frustraiting … I finally emailed my professor, explaining the situation - that I am pre-med and wanted to LEARN and the environment was not actually conducive to learning … he emailed me back and expressed his concerns as well. Within two weeks the class whining was suppressed by his (changed) attitude and comments about not spoon-feeding us and that we should be readying ourselves for advanced sciences. I was amazed!!! I also ended up becoming very close with the professor - what started as a difficult situation turned into bliss!
Fortunately, my micro class has the best group of undergrads that I’ve encountered in the CC yet! But in other classes, I’ve been ready to pull my hair out. A couple semesters ago one youngster, who was put-off by how I was excelling said “well, older students do better because they don’t have a life”. Ha. Yea, maybe I used to think that too… I can’t remember!

I had learned my share of your experience but unfortunately I couldn’t handle the situation well. People are people and no matter where you are, similar problems will occur unless you can cope with it. You learn the material for yourself and let the rest has their ways of making it. At a few glances of the practice MCAT, I figure it weights very heavily on the concepts and abstracts. So good luck with whoever choosing this career path. Of course including myself

Had our first test last Monday and received our grades this past Monday and I got a 93. After spending all weekend reviewing the 6 chapters I figured I was as prepared as I could be. In retrospect the test was very easy compared to the amount of information I studied. The professor grades on a curve and she pulled me aside and said that I was ruining the curve for everyone… I smiled but she said she was serious. She actually recommended that perhaps I not study as hard… I’m honored and disrespected at the same time. Those who earned a ~75 were excited that their grades might actually be A’s after the curve…turns out the professor said she might not even consider my grades along with the rest of the class.
Needless to say I will be taking more biology courses at the University level because this Micro class at my local CC is serious lacking. It’s ironic…either too easy or too difficult…

Sorry you have an instructor who caters to the class! I’m sure you told her that serious students don’t “squeak” by! I’m sure it’s the instructor, not necessarily the CC, although maybe! Anyway - keep getting A’s! It’s not organic chemistry LOL (j/k for those who find micro really hard - I’m working that 75 curve in ochem:))

Crooz-
I like your ticker so much I made my own! Had to give you credit though

The irony to me is that an adcom at the state university told me that CC classes don’t count because the level of instruction…my professor teaches at the same medical school…to the medical students…the same school that tells me CC classes don’t count is the same school that has provided a professor which has watered down micro so much it is no more than an extension of the bio class.
Oh well…I enjoy the class and can say I’m learning quite a bit. Not sure how much help it’ll be during the MCAT. However by the time I take the MCAT it’ll be offered daily via computer.

Many classes all over the nation are being watered down so more students can “pass” these courses. This is the nature of the beast aka a business. It is sad to hear this coming from the mouth of the professors themselves. All you can do is make sure that you learn as much as you can from the book…because the professor in his/her pursuit of making things easier waters down the material soooo much that it boils down to high school level or less biology/microbiology or whatever. Sad but true. Not to step on toes or be un-PC but this also has a lot to do with the caliber of students that attend X or Y school. Some schools are more rigorous and they attract high achievers others are not so rigorous and attract the less motivated crowd.

Quote:

Some schools are more rigorous and they attract high achievers others are not so rigorous and attract the less motivated crowd.

Well, I don’t know…it’s not always that straightforward. For example, I took chemistry, physics and math classes at both a community college in Minneapolis, and at the University of Minnesota. Same metro area, I took the same level courses, same state educational system… So there weren’t that many variables. The biggest difference in the STUDENTS was, I would say, not so much their intelligence but their sophistication as far as understanding the higher educational system and how it works. The U of M is a lot more prestigious, and yeah, it’s harder to get in, but the students there DEMANDED nothing less than a passing grade from their professors, and I saw many profs cave in. At the CC, the students more often were accepting of the standards set by the prof. A lot of them were immigrants and were very grateful for the chance to get an education. I never heard about parents calling to complain to CC professors about their kid’s grades, but at the U this happens!

Now I’ll get off my soapbox. I’m not trying to be PC (actually I think it’s un-PC right now to defend community colleges–they’re THAT unpopular)–I just wanted to mention this aspect of it. If there’s watering down going on, it isn’t necessarily the unprestigious colleges who are leading the way! I actually think the pressure for classes to be easier is coming more from the middle of the prestige scale.

Quote:

Well, I don’t know…it’s not always that straightforward. For example, I took chemistry, physics and math classes at both a community college in Minneapolis, and at the University of Minnesota. Same metro area, I took the same level courses, same state educational system… So there weren’t that many variables. The biggest difference in the STUDENTS was, I would say, not so much their intelligence but their sophistication as far as understanding the higher educational system and how it works.

I definitely agree with you. I’ve said this before but I think these days you have to be real careful of what you call prestigous as I learned the hard way. I had NEVER dealt with large scale cheating until I attended a top 5 school and I’ve attend schools “ranked” from CC on up.

Crooz,
i was in a similar situation as you in community college except that my microbiology prof was a great teacher and able to understand the differing needs of the students. We had many students who were international and also had to deal with their difficiencies in english. My test average was about 105 (always extra credit). I ruined the curve but my prof was interested in seeing me get the most out of the class. Anyway, I mention all of this because it was in that very class that I decided to pursue medical school instead of nursing. I didn’t worry about the other students or that it was community college. I just started medical school in August. We have our first big exam tomorrow… I’m burnt out on studying and many of my classmates are working harder than I am. We are being tested on microbiology too… boy am i glad I took that class! In terms of learning… its all about you. In terms of grades - make sure they are all great. The students you are with now will not be the same ones in medical - I can assure you of this… Whinning won’t get you too far in med school.

Well…I’ve only taken classes at CC’s and it’s been a tossup. I had 1 “professor” who was straight out of graduate school and was a newly minted PhD who was HORRIBLE. It was a prechem class that the highest grade was a C. No one got an A or B and it wasn’t until after the final that we all realized how badly we had all been taught. The problem was the exams…they were all essay questions. Even the math problems had to be answered as an essay question… "first I subtracted…then I substituted…then I… She saw nothing wrong with this method, even though no one ever had time to finish the exams. I would lose 20-25 points because I couldn’t even finish the exam and I take exams very quickly.

I spoke to the teacher yesterday and she confided that she can’t take the class to the level she’d like. She’s frustrated that she has to review so much gen bio and can’t get into the meat of micro…but this is her first class and it would look “bad” if she had too many drops. The drops are viewed by the administration as a problem with the professor and not the students.
There’s just way too much hand holding…too much, “it’s not your fault that you’re lazy” or "it’s not your fault that you took gen bio 5 years ago and forgot everything…it’s the schools job to teach you… While they don’t come out and say it, their actions scream it.

Guys, in my post NOWHERE did I mention prestige/ranking/or expense of schools. I was referring that some schools (undergrad/grad/CC) are more RIGOROUS than others either because they self-select or just the quality of the teaching. In every community this is common knowledge which school is more easy overall than others and it has nothing to do with ranking or private versus public. Please read my post again.

BTW NOWHERE was I insunuating that the CC college is the less rigorous because we all know or have heard of the California CC’s and also some CC’s in TN are outstanding. So again do not infer from my post that this is what I meant.

Crooz,
I remember thinking that having had micro was really helpful on the MCAT and was glad that I had taken it. Also, in med school, when we studied micro, we had very little lab exposure at our school and I relied heavily upon my post-bacc lab experience.
Good luck and enjoy the class
Tara

Quote:

BTW NOWHERE was I insunuating that the CC college is the less rigorous because we all know or have heard of the California CC’s and also some CC’s in TN are outstanding. So again do not infer from my post that this is what I meant.

Hey efex,
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to imply that that’s what you meant. I shouldn’t have quoted like I did from your post–that was pretty careless. Really I was just responding to it because I thought it was interesting. Earlier in the thread someone was talking about a med school having a negative attitude toward CCs, and I was just trying to enter the discussion. In some circles (not OPM), people do say some unfair things about CCs, and I do hear some elitist comments from med students now and then, so that’s the background for my interest in the subject. It doesn’t come from trying to read any particular viewpoint into your post!
I agree with the idea that a lot of classes are getting watered down throughout the US. I could never claim that I didn’t meet some irritatingly unmotivated students at the CC I attended either. I feel kind of bad, because I wasn’t trying to get into an argument with anyone–I like hearing other people’s views and I just wanted to add my own perspective. I’m sorry I didn’t say it very well.
Ok, I’ll get out of this thread now and let it return to its natural course…

Quote:

Hi again–I hope I’m quoting more fairly this time. :slight_smile:
I appreciate what you’re saying here. I just don’t think everyone is as fair minded as you. A lot of people openly make fun of CCs (and then in some cases turn around and talk about how devoted they are to a utopian, class-free health care system! Yes, I’ve heard it in person…) THAT was my rationale for taking the discussion in the direction I did. I was actually making fun of myself when I mentioned the unpopularity of this cause…
Ok, now for real I will go away from this thread… :wink: