Effects of mortgage and Financial aid

Hello all,
I am not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to place this post, but here is my delimma. I have a condo in New York and I am 2.5 years into the mortaage. It is a nice cozy place and I would like to keep it. However, as I begin the medical application process I am also wondering if having a mortagage significantly affects the amount of financial aid offered by the medical schools. If this is the case then I am considering giving it up or having my siblings take over when I begin medical school (instate or out-of-state). However, I am sort of leaning towards the latter. What do ya think? Can I keep it? Huh, Huh?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well no, maybe? I had a mortgage and borrowed $55,000 for the first year but also then sold my house. How would you pay for the mortgage if you had to go to another state for school?
Could you rent it out?
As far as the US goes I think it is $18,500 for med school Stafford before private loans. You can borrow the money for school but here’s the catch, (a big one!) You need good credit Fico 650 with no collections and no recent lates (last 6 months). Check your credit twice a year and make sure cause things like block buster (oh yea even them) can show up as a collection. My wife and I are trying to keep our loans down under $200,000 and that will be hard but we may be able to do it.
Hope this helps.
Bill

I don’t recall having to put anything about my mortgage on my FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). I qualified for a subsidized Stafford Loan my first year of medical school even though my husband had a substantial income and we had money in investments, etc. - because I had two kids in college. I don’t think the mortgage factors in when considering financial aid.
It IS something to think about in terms of how you’ll pay your mortgage while in school, however. There are medical school loans that can be used to pay living expenses, but when you’re doing the budgeting to figure out how much to ask to borrow for those living expenses, you’re given an “allowance” that is figured out by the school - NOT your actual expenses. The student budget is usually pretty bare-bones when it comes to living expenses.
The annual limit for Stafford loans for medical school was $38,500 when I was in school and I think it has increased a little since then. In my case, that was about what my annual tuition was - some of my classmates had to borrow that AND take out private loans for their living expenses. Fortunately my husband was employed for most of my med school years and so the living expenses were up to him.
Mary

Having a mortgage will have no effect on your financial aid as long as the mortgage is on the house you are living in. If it is a mortgage that is on a rental property, it still probably won’t affect how much financial aid you are getting unless you are raking a ton of profit from it.
Pretty much everyone is eligible for to borrow the maximum amount of Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) irregardless of how much money you or your spouse made. This year, the maximum amount is still $38,500. At most schools, you will be able to borrow this much because their budget will be that high or exceed it. (our first year budget is about $3000 higher than that).
Amy

Quote:

Having a mortgage will have no effect on your financial aid as long as the mortgage is on the house you are living in. If it is a mortgage that is on a rental property, it still probably won’t affect how much financial aid you are getting unless you are raking a ton of profit from it.
Pretty much everyone is eligible for to borrow the maximum amount of Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) irregardless of how much money you or your spouse made. This year, the maximum amount is still $38,500. At most schools, you will be able to borrow this much because their budget will be that high or exceed it. (our first year budget is about $3000 higher than that).
Amy

38,500 as the max the school will allow even with private? (My school allowed more because I had a family). Wow if that is true then it would be hard, but renting it out to cover the mortgage could still work.

If married, do they go by your spouses credit too?

Quote:

38,500 as the max the school will allow even with private? (My school allowed more because I had a family). Wow if that is true then it would be hard, but renting it out to cover the mortgage could still work.

$38,500 is the max you can borrow in federal Stafford subsidized/unsubsidized loans. You can still borrow additional money from private lenders. I did read somewhere that the (federal) max allowed for some schools is higher than $38,500 (due to cost of living in that area, that type of thing). I’m not sure where you could look to find info on that. The most reliable source would probably be each school’s individual financial aid office.
You bring up a valid point above . . .you can appeal for your amount to be increased due to child care, dependents, etc. However, be very careful with that because there are aggregate limits on how much you can borrow from the federal government. I have heard stories (don’t know if they are true) of fourth year students scrambling to secure private loans because they had maxed out their federal loans and didn’t realize it.

Yep I agree 100% on that Even our plan of 150 to 200,000 scares me to death! A lot of money to pay back but if the current situation with FP continues there are ways to get some tuition reimbursement. I think it is best to count on having to pay it all back though. That way you may not borrow as much. Debt is bad real bad! Less the better

BTW my new loan is Sallie Mae http://www.salliemae.com/apply/borrowing/medloans.html

They have some good info and links.

My thing is that my credit isn’t perfect. I mean, I never filed bankruptcy or anything, don’t have any outstanding collections that haven’t been paid (still need to get my own report).
That being said, anyone know about the T.H.E. private loans, like what are the requirements. Think Im just going to do a search, but I still would appreciate any other additional info.
Im in the process of deciding b/w 2 schools one is 25k (wont have to worry about private loans) the other is 35Kk (WOULD) have to worry about private loans). I think I’d rather go to the more expensive school, but it isn’t even an option if I can’t be funded.

Several things, don’t limit yourself to who to apply to because of the money so much. If you do acceptance may be a harder thing. These loan companies use these credit reporting (Sallie Mae is 100% correct per my check) Student loan Health Express – Transunion
Nellie Mae Medexcel – Experian
Sallie Mae Signature – Equifax
Terri – Transunion
go to http://www.creditboards.com/mambo/ and look at the credit forum not the student loan forum (that forum is mostly consolidation and people that have defaulted).
Please clean up your credit now. Collections can be taken off if you ask the company that put it on to take it off if you have paid or agree to pay it. It will take 6 months to a year to clean this up! I have done it and still have a collections on my report but paid off, can’t get it removed till after 7 years and that is 2006 now. The only reason Sallie Mae approved my loan was because I paid the collections off years ago. You would think going to med school was the hardest thing, I think just as hard is getting th money also.
Good Luck!

Thanks, I’m beyond the where to apply stage, I have mutliple acceptances and have narrowed it down b/w the 2 schools mentioned above. I’d hate to decline my seat at the 25k one and accept the 35k one, to find out I can’t get funded for living expenses.
Guess I need to pull from multiple credit report agencies to see my reports.–Uggg, even more money to do that and I am sooooo broke right now!!

You are entitled to a free credit report from each of the 3 major companies every 12 months.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

Quote:

Your Access to Free Credit Reports
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies – Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion – to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s consumer reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to consumer reporting companies.
A credit report includes information on where you live, how you pay your bills, and whether you’ve been sued, arrested, or filed for bankruptcy. Nationwide consumer reporting companies sell the information in your report to creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use it to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, employment, or renting a home.
Here are the details about your rights under the FCRA and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act, which established the free annual credit report program.
Q: How do I order my free report?
A: The three nationwide consumer reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report. To order, click on annualcreditreport.com, call 1-877-322-8228, or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. The form is on the back of this brochure; or you can print it from Credit and Debt | Consumer Advice. Do not contact the three nationwide consumer reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through annualcreditreport.com, 1-877-322-8228, and Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. You may order your reports from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies at the same time, or you can order your report from each of the companies one at a time. The law allows you to order one free copy of your report from each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies every 12 months.
A Warning About “Imposter” Websites
Only one website is authorized to fill orders for the free annual credit report you are entitled to under law – annualcreditreport.com. Other websites that claim to offer “free credit reports,” “free credit scores,” or “free credit monitoring” are not part of the legally mandated free annual credit report program. In some cases, the “free” product comes with strings attached. For example, some sites sign you up for a supposedly “free” service that converts to one you have to pay for after a trial period. If you don’t cancel during the trial period, you may be unwittingly agreeing to let the company start charging fees to your credit card.
Some “imposter” sites use terms like “free report” in their names; others have URLs that purposely misspell annualcreditreport.com in the hope that you will mistype the name of the official site. Some of these “imposter” sites direct you to other sites that try to sell you something or collect your personal information.
annualcreditreport.com and the nationwide consumer reporting companies will not send you an email asking for your personal information. If you get an email, see a pop-up ad, or get a phone call from someone claiming to be from annualcreditreport.com or any of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies, do not reply or click on any link in the message. It’s probably a scam. Forward any such email to the FTC at spam@uce.gov.
Q: What information do I need to provide to get my free report?
A: You need to provide your name, address, Social Security number, and date of birth. If you have moved in the last two years, you may have to provide your previous address. To maintain the security of your file, each nationwide consumer reporting company may ask you for some information that only you would know, like the amount of your monthly mortgage payment. Each company may ask you for different information because the information each has in your file may come from different sources.
Q: Why do I want a copy of my credit report?
A: Your credit report has information that affects whether you can get a loan – and how much you will have to pay to borrow money. You want a copy of your credit report to:
make sure the information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date before you apply for a loan for a major purchase like a house or car, buy insurance, or apply for a job.
help guard against identity theft. That’s when someone uses your personal information – like your name, your Social Security number, or your credit card number – to commit fraud. Identity thieves may use your information to open a new credit card account in your name. Then, when they don’t pay the bills, the delinquent account is reported on your credit report. Inaccurate information like that could affect your ability to get credit, insurance, or even a job.
Q: How long does it take to get my report after I order it?
A: If you request your report online at annualcreditreport.com, you should be able to access it immediately. If you order your report by calling toll-free 1-877-322-8228, your report will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days. If you order your report by mail using the Annual Credit Report Request Form, your request will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days of receipt.
Whether you order your report online, by phone, or by mail, it may take longer to receive your report if the nationwide consumer reporting company needs more information to verify your identity.
There also may be times when the nationwide consumer reporting companies receive a high volume of requests for credit reports. If that happens, you may be asked to re-submit your request. Or, you may be told that your report will be mailed to you sometime after 15 days from your request. If either of these events occurs, the nationwide consumer reporting companies will let you know.
Q: Are there any other situations where I might be eligible for a free report?
A: Under federal law, you’re entitled to a free report if a company takes adverse action against you such as denying your application for credit, insurance, or employment and you ask for your report within 60 days of receiving notice of the action. The notice will give you the name, address, and phone number of the consumer reporting company. You’re also entitled to one free report a year if you’re unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days; if you’re on welfare; or if your report is inaccurate because of fraud, including identity theft. Otherwise, a consumer reporting company may charge you up to $9.50 for another copy of your report within a 12-month period.
To buy a copy of your report, contact:
Equifax: 800-685-1111; www.equifax.com
Experian: 888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742); www.experian.com
Trans Union: 800-916-8800; www.transunion.com
Under state law, consumers in Colorado, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Vermont already have free access to their credit reports.
Q: Should I order a report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies?
A: It’s up to you. Because nationwide consumer reporting companies get their information from different sourc

es, the information in your report from one company may not reflect all, or the same, information in your reports from the other two companies. That’s not to say that the information in any of your reports is necessarily inaccurate; it just may be different.
Q: Should I order my reports from all three of the nationwide consumer reporting companies at the same time?
A: You may order one, two, or all three reports at the same time, or you may stagger your requests. It’s your choice. Some financial advisors say staggering your requests during a 12-month period may be a good way to keep an eye on the accuracy and completeness of the information in your reports.
Q: What if I find errors – either inaccuracies or incomplete information – in my credit report?
A: Under the FCRA, both the consumer reporting company and the information provider (that is, the person, company, or organization that provides information about you to a consumer reporting company) are responsible for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. To take full advantage of your rights under this law, contact the consumer reporting company and the information provider.
Tell the consumer reporting company, in writing, what information you think is inaccurate.
Consumer reporting companies must investigate the items in question – usually within 30 days – unless they consider your dispute frivolous. They also must forward all the relevant data you provide about the inaccuracy to the organization that provided the information. After the information provider receives notice of a dispute from the consumer reporting company, it must investigate, review the relevant information, and report the results back to the consumer reporting company. If the information provider finds the disputed information is inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide consumer reporting companies so they can correct the information in your file.
When the investigation is complete, the consumer reporting company must give you the written results and a free copy of your report if the dispute results in a change. (This free report does not count as your annual free report under the FACT Act.) consumer reporting company cannot put the disputed information back in your file unless the information provider verifies that it is accurate and complete. The consumer reporting company also must send you written notice that includes the name, address, and phone number of the information provider.

Tell the creditor or other information provider in writing that you dispute an item. Many providers specify an address for disputes. If the provider reports the item to a consumer reporting company, it must include a notice of your dispute. And if you are correct – that is, if the information is found to be inaccurate – the information provider may not report it again.
Q: What can I do if the consumer reporting company or information provider won’t correct the information I dispute?
A: If an investigation doesn’t resolve your dispute with the consumer reporting company, you can ask that a statement of the dispute be included in your file and in future reports. You also can ask the consumer reporting company to provide your statement to anyone who received a copy of your report in the recent past. You can expect to pay a fee for this service.
If you tell the information provider that you dispute an item, a notice of your dispute must be included any time the information provider reports the item to a consumer reporting company.
Q: How long can a consumer reporting company report negative information?
A: A consumer reporting company can report most accurate negative information for seven years and bankruptcy information for 10 years. There is no time limit on reporting information about criminal convictions; information reported in response to your application for a job that pays more than $75,000 a year; and information reported because you’ve applied for more than $150,000 worth of credit or life insurance. Information about a lawsuit or an unpaid judgment against you can be reported for seven years or until the statute of limitations runs out, whichever is longer.
Q: Can anyone else can get a copy of my credit report?
A: The FCRA specifies who can access your credit report. Creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use the information in your report to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, employment, or renting a home are among those that have a legal right to access your report.
Q: Can my employer get my credit report?
A: Your employer can get a copy of your credit report only if you agree. A consumer reporting company may not provide information about you to your employer, or to a prospective employer, without your written consent.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Awesome, thanks soooo much!!!

Yea they are right At least one report from all three once a year, In Ga its every 6 months. If you do disputes then the credit reporting company sends you an update and if it came off or not. Read the Fair credit act, thing is the credit reporting agencies dot always do whats right an still screw up.
It took me a good year to fight but I won. I didn’t give up. If you get turned down you can appeal after you find out why you were turned down. Cosigners are good to have, they also need good credit and FICO scores.
Don’t forget your FICO. Thats a score that is important, like I said go to www.creditboards.com and read cause your fico needs to be 650 at least credit cards less than 50% (40% is best) that is all credit cards, if you have 60% usage on one and 20% on another see if you can shift or get one down to that less than 50% it really does matter and it affects the fico. I really don’t understand this 100% but I know it works like this.
Good luck
BTW whats the different loan programs at the schools?
If you can list them maybe we can give more info.
Everyone should be able to get the basic money from stafford
in the US, it’s the other amounts that good credit is needed.

So the FICO is your credit score then, right? I will look into it.

Quote:

Thanks, I’m beyond the where to apply stage, I have mutliple acceptances and have narrowed it down b/w the 2 schools mentioned above. I’d hate to decline my seat at the 25k one and accept the 35k one, to find out I can’t get funded for living expenses.
Guess I need to pull from multiple credit report agencies to see my reports.–Uggg, even more money to do that and I am sooooo broke right now!!

Yo, if you’ve got acceptances to these schools then you have access to their Financial Aid Offices RIGHT NOW to try and figure out how to work this. They can and should work with you - and each of them will be eager to show you how it can work so that you’ll attend their school.
Give them a chance to help you. A common mistake we make as OPMs is assuming that we have to figure out everything on our own. While that is often the case as a pre-med, you do in fact have a lot of help available to you once you’re actually a student doctor.
Mary

Thanks Mary!! You are soo right! Maybe I am just so used to figuring things out, how to make things work-make ends meet that I’m so worried. I’m going to call their Financial Aid department on Monday. Weeew. I feel somewhat relieved just by your post. Thanks.

Yes I agree with Mary 100% Call the FinAid dept. But the above still stands, clean up the credit and know the reports and the score, this will give you the power to deal with the loan companies and life will be easier when dealing with credit.
The Finaid dept of the schools will also tell you upfront how much $ they will auth you to borrow each year.
You are going to be fine!
Good luck.

Update:
I chose the more expensive school. My FICO score is 700, I have 2 paid collection accounts (medical) for 100 bucks each that were paid early 2001. I was told I need a co-signer and that it couldn’t be my husband. Am I missing something here? Or is my credit really that bad? The FA rep said those 2 paid accts from 5 years ago will raise red flags? Since then I have paid off a mortgage, car, etc. etc.

No your credit is not too bad, paid collections 5 years old for medical is over looked in most cases, Sallie Mae will be okay,(I had on paid collection 6yrs old) in 2 more years they are gon for good off the report.

You may need a cosigner cause it’s 2, depends on the lender.

My school requires a cosigner for loans, guess too many defaults by others?

Talk to them about sending it through with out a cosigner then if you need one you will have to get one.

BTW very good credit to excellent credit FICO is 700 VG then 720 to 800 VG to excellent. I know there is a commercial that says 850 is top but only 0.05% have above 800 in the US.

Good luck.