English Online

I took English 1&2 online at a CC way before I ever wanted to be a doctor (I was actually on the road touring in a band). I got A’s. I am just starting the prereqs along with the last two years of my BS in Health Sciences. UC Denver is one of my dream schools and they require a third English class so I will have to take a traditional English class at a university anyway. Will this be enough to cover for the first two? Obviously I would want to kill the writing section on the MCAT.

English requirements are typically the least of med school concerns. Even if you don’t kill the writing section on the MCAT, I doubt that they will care that your first two English courses were online courses.

The writing component of the MCAT seems to be largely ignored unless English is not your native language, or you have both a crappy verbal and writing score.

FWIW, I have found that people who have always been good writers struggle with the writing portion of the MCAT. I think it’s because they find the structure so artificial. I have always been a strong writer, receiving comments on numerous college papers about how well written they were, and yet I got a “M” on the MCAT writing section. (It was never mentioned once during interviews).

• Emergency! Said:

FWIW, I have found that people who have always been good writers struggle with the writing portion of the MCAT. I think it's because they find the structure so artificial. I have always been a strong writer, receiving comments on numerous college papers about how well written they were, and yet I got a "M" on the MCAT writing section. (It was never mentioned once during interviews).

So true. I was an english major, a great writer, I worked in book publishing for a bit so I knew all the technicalities, but the writing section of the MCAT was a nightmare. Ironic, huh?