Enrolling in online Kaplan

Hey everyone!

Wow, there’s a lot of good information here!

I am planning on taking the MCAT in May '09 and have decided to enroll in the online Kaplan. I enjoy studying on my own, but find that I don’t pace myself very well. (I may spend too much time on miniscule information, and not enough time on other, broad topics). So, I figure a study course will help me keep a regular pace.

Also, I am nowhere near a classroom setting, so the online option is really all that is available for me. (How does the online schedule compare to the classroom schedule, anyway?).

Are there any of you in a similar situation? I’ve been out of school for 12 years, but don’t have the option to take or retake any classes because of my location. My science GPA was 3.69, but my overall GPA was 3.00 (due to a couple of freshman intro courses that I didn’t take seriously but should have).

I’m enjoying the studying. And my work as a medical technologist for the last 12 years has kept my head in the sciences (at least the clinical blood work, body fluid and microbiology stuff). I know I will have to study hard on the other sciences (gchem, ochem, physics) and brush up on the biology.

I love my work in the lab, but the only real growth potential for me here is administrative, and I would rather grow more towards the clinical side.

I’m a bit nervous taking on this new direction towards medical school, but I am inspired by many of your posts! I also have a very supportive wife, and the most beautiful 6 month old son in the world!

I would love any suggestions that you may think of. I’m hoping to apply for the 2010 school year.

I’m glad to have found this forum, and am proud of all of you other “non-traditional” students. It’s awesome to have this kind of network and support!

Mark

mroller,

I don’t have any sage wisdom to provide, just a few words of encouragement. I am also looking at applying in 2010 and planning on taking the MCAT in April. I also have the problem with pacing myself, so I sat down last weekend and broke down the Examkrackers study program into little chunks that include studying a couple hours a day, 6 days a week until test time. I have noticed some evenings it is a challenge to study after a ten hour work day. But I figure if I can’t find a way to do this I can’t make it through med school. This is my first little way of testing myself.

Hopefully the Kaplan course works well for you. If you find any great study strategies please share! Also, congrats on the new son, sounds like you have a great future ahead.

mroller,

I think I might be a minority here, but I wasn’t all that impressed with Kaplan MCAT prep course. I took the in-class version, though; I guess the course wasn’t terrible, but for what I got, it was overpriced. The only thing I really liked aobut the course was that I had 5 simulated exams that I took at the Kaplan site and it felt more autentic than taking them at home. I don’t know where exactly you’re located, but it looks like you might not be able to take advantage of the simulated exams anyway.

I think if I were you I’d rather buy ExamKrackers series Of MCAT prep books and start listening to audioosmosis (same series). The books come with self-paced study guide and I think material is presented in a better way than in Kaplan books. I also think you mind find it beneficial to buy question banks from Kaplan - these were actually good, and you can never practice enough ;). (that being said I never used EK sample exams - maybe except for one…they might be good too).

Hope it helps,

Kasia

Hi, thanks for the insights and encouragement. And good luck, delfin, on the MCAT and med school! Kasia, other websites that I’ve been reading through have also confirmed what you advised. So, I will look into the EK Study Guides, and hopefully save myself some $$$.

Thank you for your suggestions! Wish me luck!

Mark