EVCOM,last minute applications, and Waitlists

Pete (‘n’ everyone),
At the time I interviewed, it was “one week”…but actually the 5 others and I who interviewed on the same Monday were told “you’ll hear from us by Friday” by one person and “you’ll hear from us by next Monday” by another person.
Knowing that the adcom was to meet 2 days after interview date (and also knowing that thank you letters are in order and I was/am grateful for the opportunity to meet with them), I hightailed it back to Pennsylvania on Tuesday and wrote somewhat formal e-mail thank you letters…so my interviewers would hopefully read them before their meeting and would at least have them that day. Two of my interviewers responded to my e-mails…one on Weds, the other on Thursday (and she “spilled the beans” by writing that it will be a wonderful class and congratulations.
“Congratulations”…!!! Holy stethoscopes Batman! I got the official acceptance later on…
…hopefully you’ll hear soon! (So write those thank you letters! Throw your heart into them and maybe we get to be classmates…I’d love it if someone from OPMs were at VCOM with me! smile.gif )

Hi Mary:
Because I'm a good and attentive OPMer, I wrote thank-you emails the following day.
I'd love to have another OPM as a classmate too! I've got my fingers crossed!
Pete

Dissappointed tonight. Received letter from VCOM which read like your standard-issue rejection letter.
Why bother to interview if you're going to reject for non-interview reasons??
Very discouraged with the entire process.
pete

Dear Pete:
There's not much I can say to help you feel better about this, but a lot of us have received those letters. Most of us are going to be doctors anyway.
VCOM's loss.
Susan - Chicago

Pete, I'm sorry to hear this news…
I've sent a PM to you. Take care!

Pete,
First of all, let me say I’m sorry they didn’t take you.
sad.gif
Second, and most importantly, DON’T GIVE UP!! I know after I went through all the rejection letters last year, there were times I thought the same thing as you. Why do they bother with the interview if they’re going to reject you on non-interview issues? And why should I bother putting myself through this entire ordeal again?
But, those moments of doubt always ended when I stopped to think about how important it is for me to become a physician. So, after the hours (or days) of feeling down, you have to do as the old saying goes; pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.
Go back and talk to someone from the schools where you were rejected and ask them what you need to do to improve your applicaton. Then go out and try to do at least part of them. I think, at least for myself, the most important thing I did was improve my attitude and spread a wider application net. I applied to over 20 schools this year, and added WVSOM at the last minute. I had several interviews, and after my acceptance turned down several others. My gpa hadn’t changed that much, and I didn’t improve my MCAT, so I can’t help but think that the main thing was, like I said before, a better, more aggressive approach, and more self-confidence when I interviewed, along with my membership and pride in OPM.
REMEMBER!! Many of us have found it necessary to apply two, three, or even more times before finally getting in. So, if this is a dream you truly wish to fulfill, DON’T GIVE UP!! You have a lot to offer, and if you keep plugging, someone will realize what a ‘prime catch’ you could be for their school!

Hi everyone!
I've got an exam this afternoon (Molecular Basis of Oncogenes) so I'll reply in much more detail later today.
With that said…you guys rock! It feels kind of bad right now, but you know? I didn't apply to that many schools this year anyway:
-UT Houston
-UT Galveston
-UT Southwestern (Dallas)
-UT San Antonio
-Texas Tech
-TX A&M
-VCOM
Interviewed at highlighted schools and waitlisted at Houston. Any idea how to get off a waitlist?
Does anyone have any idea what I can do between now and the next app cycle? I COULD take the MCAT again (11V 8P 10B), but I'm trying to finish my Master's degree at the same time…would anyone try taking it in April??? August?
Mary, Linda, and Susan…I really appreciate your kind words. They help A LOT.
Pete