Ever feel like the universe is plotting against your med school plans?

At least this past week. All my study time went out the window with insurance claims over spring break. I have been aiming every day for a week to sit down and prepare for my biology exam. It’s tomorrow. Kids not sleeping. Sone getting in trouble at school. Back and neck sore. Physical therapy for the neck. Baby has P.E. tubes inserted on Monday and is miserable (don’t think antibiotic working anymore). Add to it all husband and I argued way too long last night to be able to have any profitable study time.

The study sheet given by professor has a bunch of abbreviations for the renal system and I can’t for the life of me find any terms in our textbook or nots that would match up w/ all these letters. She’s not responded to my e-mail request to clairify.

Exam is 8 a.m. tomorrow.

I feel rather…well, screwed.

Off to try and salvance SOMETHING of the renal system, but with cell communication, gas exchange, circulation, osmosis and renal function…yeah, I’m overwhelmed tonight, especially considering the grades I’ve been pulling while studying my brains out.

Thanks for the vent though. Sometimes a girl just needs to vent.

Just hang in there dear…tough times don’t last…tough people do…

Hi Susan,

I just finished posting my venting post. My ears are open just vent away. It is hard trust me i konw but just take it one day at a time.

post some of the abbreviations maybe we can help

tbcnm

Thanks guys. Physical therapy was tough and left me begging for my Rx meds, but they knock me out so those aren’t an option. Feeling slightly better post ibuprofen, but still overwhelmed.

The one that’s bugging me is a series of terms listed as though they are a progression. It’s in the mammilian kidney …

• In reply to:
Bowman's capsule/ PCT/ Loop of Henle/ DCT/ CD

The closest thing I can think of for the abbreviations is Proximal Tubule, Distal Tubule and Collecting Duct. However, the first two do not account for the "C" within the abbreviations, and I can't figure out what else it would be following that pathway in the nephron.

I'm backing up though right now to other units and focusing on digestion for the next 20 minutes or so. I'll be back on my next study break maybe.

The distal convoluted tubule (DCT) is a portion of kidney nephron between the loop of Henle and the collecting duct system.

Proximal Convoluted Tubule, Distal Convoluted Tubule, and Collecting Duct sound right to me.

And yes, I feel like the universe is plotting against me, and I’m already “there,” so to speak . You can do it, Susan! You even know stuff you don’t realize you know .

The distal convoluted tubule (DCT) is the final segment of the nephron. It is lined with simple cuboidal cells that are shorter than those of the PCT. The lumen appears larger in DCT than the proximal convoluted tubule (PCT) lumen because the PCT has a brush border (microvilli). DCT can be recognized by its numerous mitochondria, basal infoldings and lateral membrane interdigitations with neighboring cells.

Well, gee, you’re telling me my stress is all over a typo in the text? Great. Convoluted is not in any of the terms. I even brought it to my lab professor who never used those words either.

Thanks so much. I was close then…ok. I was right. I just didn’t realize I was right.

On to gas exchange over view…gonna be a long night. Anyone have coffee brewed? I haven’t pulled a late night like this since I was 21.

The universe is plotting against you.

But if you are like me you will take that as a personal challenge to get up and kick some butt!

Good luck tomorrow! Don’t forget to sleep!

You know, I think we need a homework forum. LOL.

Someplace we can stress together. Alloting myself these little breaks to check in after each section over view has helped. Still not prepared, but, the night is young (I lie),and I have the basic concepts. On to the details.

Concur on the homework forum. We also need a vent forum.

Yes, but how would that work if you need to vent about homework?

O.k. study break over. Be back later, though presumeably when you are all unconscious.

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showforum.php?f…

Homework and vent forum all in one.

I feel like that every once in a while. Hang in there though and it’ll all work out (: