Ever plan to be a non-trad?

Hi everyone, I found this site through studentdoc.net (or com or one of those and am so glad! There is a great wealth of information and a large “can-do” attitude that I really like.

My question for you all:

Have you ever tried to “plan” to be a non-trad applicant?

I’m currently 22, about to graduate with a bachelor’s in nursing. I love nursing and it has helped me become an immeasureably better person in so many ways, but I have found that I would like larger autonomy and I always had in the back of my mind to go to med school, but thought I couldn’t do it. 4 years later, graduating with honors, part of AmeriCorps, and working as a nurse tech at a trauma 1 hospital, I think I sold myself too short too early.

Two ideas:

1. I have an interview for a NICU (neonatal) in DC next week and part of their benefits is to pay for 2 classes (any) each semester at the U of Maryland. Look at their programs, they have a “science in the evening” program which looks great. The idea for this is to finish in 2 years (finish by spring 2010), take August MCATs, then head over with Doctors Without Borders to SA or Africa until the next June. I have always wanted to do this and have made it a priority to do it at least once.

Apply in June, matriculate the next year (well, assuming I get in). Med school, 3 years residency or so (pediatrics), by this time I’ll be about 34-35. I know this isn’t very old, but having children and being married is equally or more important to me in life. Do you think 34-35 is too old to have kids? I could adopt, but I really would like to have my own biological children.

2. Work for several years (including DwB), ideally have kids earlier (26-28), wait until they are in elementary school full-time (7-8 years old) and THEN start everything.

What do you guys think? I know that you can’t exactly plan to have kids, especially when I’m not even dating anyone right now (marriage being the pre-requisite, for me, and oh yeah, the life-long wonderful commitment :). Do you guys feel that your marriage’s quality of life is good? Your kids?

Thanks

At one time, I would have counciled against intentionally going the non-trad route. But, now that I can look back, I truly believe I am not just a better person, but a better physician for having done so. Now, that is not to claim that the non-trad route will be easier. In fact, it is, in my humble opinion, more difficult on many levels, but maybe easier on others.

For the majority of us here, we either never were or just did not know we were in a position to make such a choice: non-trad vs. trad. You, on the other hand, have the presience & advantage to actually consider, analyze & make that choice intelligently.

Neither route is easy by any stretch of the imagination. Invest time in these forums & in the SDN ones to try & parse the wheat from the chaff & then make the decision that is best for you. In doing so, you may just reward yourself with a set of positives that have eluded many before you.

Best of luck & success to you & please keep us informed on the progression of your thoughts & decisions.

Justin,

Welcome to OPM.

If you follow the plan you outlined in your post, you won’t be a real ‘non-trad’. A large chunk of people matriculating with you will be about your age. I have a surprisingly large number of people in my class who didn’t come to med -school straight from undergrad! Not everybody is a ‘career-switcher’ (although we have those, too); Most of them just took a year or two after college to do some relief work in the 3rd world countries, do some research, or just try a real LIFE before committing themselves to many years of school.

Now to answer your question about kids an family… although I’m sure there are people more qualified to answer this question. It’s doable, even if you’re in a med school. I have multiple ‘fathers of young children’ in my class and they are doing great! I would say it’s even easier for a father than a mother (and I’m not biased ). My husband is 34 now and we don’t have any kids, and for sure we’re planning on having some at some point; so… no, I don’t think 34-35 is not too old! After all you guys can do it all your life :).

Do some exploration, you’ll probably find lots of good feedback and info in here, and keep us posted.

Good luck,

Kasia

Justin,

Welcome to OPM.

If you follow the plan you outlined in your post, you won’t be a real ‘non-trad’. A large chunk of people matriculating with you will be about your age. I have a surprisingly large number of people in my class who didn’t come to med school straight from undergrad! Not everybody is a ‘career-switcher’ (although we have those, too); Most of them just took a year or two after college to do some relief work in the 3rd world countries, do some research, or just try a real LIFE before committing themselves to many years of school.

Now to answer your question about kids an family… although I’m sure there are people more qualified to answer this question. It’s doable, even if you’re in a med school. I have multiple ‘fathers of young children’ in my class and they are doing great! I’d think it’s easier for a father though… But there are mothers who’ve done it, too!

My husband is 34 now and we don’t have any kids, and for sure we’re planning on having some at some point; so… no, I don’t think 34-35 is too old!

Do some exploration, you’ll probably find a lot of good feedback and info in here.

Good luck,

Kasia

good answers have been provided, and I would just invite you to think about a couple of ideas. If you wait, you will be no less of a doctor and you may indeed be a better one, but you will also have fewer years ahead of you to pay off debts and earn a living.

As Kasia points out, it’s possible to be a father in medical school–but I suspect you are actually a female

My sister-in-law had two boys while in med school and it set her back about a year or 18 months, I think. Now they’re 3 and 5 and she’s just starting residency at the ripe old age of 30.

Was it easy? No. Would it be easier to have waited? In some ways, yes, in other ways, no. I tell everyone I know to not wait and have their kids NOW, so you’ll have more time to actually try in case of problems and also you’ll be with them longer.

But the bottom line is, you have to do what works best for you. I know you’ll find your way because you are an unusually thoughtful and forward looking 22-year-old. Best of luck,

Thank you everyone!

Yes, I’m female,but I’ve had people call me “Justin” a lot of the time on accident, no worries

I like what ttraub said about not waiting until a point where it might be too late. I’ve also poked around at MomMD.com and found some great information. Personally, my younger sister was born when my father was over in Bahrain during the Gulf War in 1989-91 and their relationship now doesn’t have (well, at least seemingly : ) any lasting effects from that disappearance. And obviously, I wouldn’t be just completely gone.

Thanks for giving me things to mull over, everyone, as I procrastinate in studying for a community nursing exam ; )