expensive Post-bacc v less expensive post -bacc

I’m going to an expensive post-bacc program for many reasons: 1. All the post-baccs in my area are private. I’m not going to pay $20k for a post-bacc with a stellar acceptance rate and linkage programs. 2. I learned in grad school that I tend to excel and challenge myself more in a supportive atmosphere, with profs who make it their mission to engage you and have you learn, and like-mind peers. I went to the state local univ. and although I did well I could not trust myself to master these sciences in that environment. I think I’d be doing to a disservice to myself…I’m so far behind in terms of what I need to know for science and I cannot pick up the slack for a lazy prof and teach myself. The community college is worse. Please note these judgments are based on my personal experience with the particular local and state university and community college in my area. 3. The only way I’m going to pick up and move is to go to an exceptional program - which means the expensive post-bacc. Everyone I talk to from the post-bacc program has nothing but good things to say and really believes that the program served them well and got them into/prepared them for med school. I also hear of a number of people on these forums who swear by the DIY-cheaper route. I think you really need to know yourself and know about the programs. They are not all created equal. I’ve heard some very negative things about Columbia’s program in terms of poor support and high competition. Expensive does not always equal better. And while some local and public community colleges/universities could offer a smaller more one-on-one experience…I personally know that not to be the case in my area. I know my learning style and frankly, I think the mastery and performance on these basis prereq. will determine what/if medical school I can get into, how well I will do, etc. So for me, it was the right choice. Can’t wait…I’m so excited…and nervous, of course.

Yes, just meeting us is worth the cost of tuition!

After looking at both Hunter’s and Columbia’s programs, I went with Columbia. I’m sure that ultimately your grades and MCAT matter more than where you went, but Columbia’s program seemed more organized and tested (and geographically convenient) to me. One thing that Columbia has going for it is that their first-time med school applicant acceptance rate is something like 92-96% every year. I don’t know what Hunter’s numbers on that are, but I was impressed by that. That being said, Columbia is tremendously expensive and very competitive (not in a particularly good/healthy way) but the academic support and resources are fantastic. Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy Orgo Chem more that I am!

Be aware that those statistics may be derived from a ‘culled’ sample - in other words, they may only report on the success of people who met their criteria for a committee letter (just one example of how schools do this). That number probably does not reflect the success rate for all students in the program.
I’m not saying this to dump on your choice - it sounds like a good choice for you and I am sure you will do well. Just a teaching point for everyone out there who’s looking at the statistics these programs put out - as we all know, there’s lies, damned lies, and statistics!

I’d just like to add–and not in a way that is intended to question anyone’s choices among the various post-bacc options, because everyone should make those decisions based on their own needs–but one important criteria I think should be is whether you will enjoy the classes and subjects you will be taking. I didn’t go to a prestigious postbacc program, but at the place I did go for many of my classes (a CC!) I loved every class. They were challenging, but there was no unpleasant competition. My fellow students were hard working (a lot of them had really practical reasons for being there, and wanted to do their best), but there was a lot of collaboration. Anyway, in the end I was surprised at what a good, and enjoyable, education I could get for such a small price. On the other hand, it is true, there was no pre-med advisor, and no “acceptance” rate to even consider.
I even managed to come out liking organic. It is definitely possible to make peace with this subject! And especially now that the MCAT is getting so close, I’m really realizing how important it is to enjoy the various pre-med subjects, since you spend a lot of time with them!

Does anybody know of any solid postbacc premed programs in the Los Angeles area? I am looking for the equivalent of a Hunter College type setting, i.e. inexpensive, and shorter than some of the more accredited, big name university postbacc programs.

Hi. I’m in Santa Clarita, so I feel for you.
There is (as far as I know) only one “formal” Post-Bac program in the LA area, at Scripps College (part of the Claremont Colleges). Expensive at ~$25K in tuition. UCSD has a post-bac program but it’s very competitive, as is the one at UCI.
The other option is to do it yourself. Depending on which med school you’re looking at, this can be problematic or not. Fortunately for us in California, most community college classes are transferable to the UC/CSU systems so there shouldn’t be much pushback from schools on them. If there is, I would just explain to them that the specific classes are directly transferable to the UC system for undergrad credit.
It seems that getting into a UC system as a post-bac taking undergrad classes is very difficult (except for extension classes). So too in the CSU schools in So Cal (I understand it’s not as bad in No Cal). However, there is an option at CSUN at least, “open university” where you basically show up the first day of class and beg the professors to let you in. If there’s room, you’re golden but for classes with hard limits on space (labs for instance) it’s tough. Also, you are stuck if you can’t get in.
At CSUN also you can take regular college classes in the summer (Gen Chem I and II with labs, anyone?) while paying full extension priecs ($500 or so plus books for each class).
Santa Monica College has a sort of “semi-formal” post-bac program, essentially it’s a defined game plan taking their regular classes. Interestingly, they offer an anatomy class where (in theory) you get to work on cadavers. Check their website for more info. You can do this at any college that offers the classes.
I’m taking most of my classes at College of the Canyons, in Santa Clarita. Since the typical med school pre-reqs are all undergrad, this should be OK. Some med schools specify/suggest an upper division bio class or two, these can be handled on an exception basis by taking the extension/open university classes.
By taking two semesters of Bio, two of Gen Chem, two of Org Chem and two of physics, plus whatever else you might need in the way of math or english can be done in 3 or 4 semesters including summer school. You might have to attend more than one school to do it (I’ll be taking chem this summer at CSUN or Moorpark CC). The significant advantages of doing it at a community college are cost ($18/unit for this year), convenience, and the competition - being older than some of the professors has advantages in terms of the study skills and determination compared with the other students. The disadvantages are not much support for a non-trad student, although at College of the Canyons I’ve plugged into a couple of sources that I am bending to my needs; there is also the reluctance to take community college classes seriously - but as I said above if it is acceptable as a transfer credit to UCLA, what difference would it make where I took them?
I’m sure there are people who will take some exception to what I’ve said here. Of course, whatever classes you take at a community college (or 4 year university for that matter) you need to show that you’re a serious student with excellent grades. As a post-bac, I think you should have some serious idea of what schools are likely candidates for you to be admitted to - thats a judgement that you will have to make for yourself, using the resources of OPM, SDN, and ValueMD plus others. I’m a native Californian, have a BS from UCLA and a MS from CalTech, and don’t expect to be a student at UCLA/Geffen or Stanford. Realistically, even with a 40+ on the MCAT and my GPA (over 3.5 overall, over 3.7 science total) I doubt I’d be considered at these schools because of my age, etc. But there are 129 other allopathic schools in the US, 30 or so DO schools, and several international schools that I can return to California and practice from (including the big-3 Caribbean schools) and I’m sure that at least one or two of them will accept me once I have the pre-reqs (class of 2009). So, don’t get discouraged, identify your target(s), and go for it.

Please be very careful when you plan to take the pre-reqs at a community college, or try to use AP credits to fulfill the requirements. Many many med schools will not accept either AP credits or CC credits. With luck, some will accept them as long as you take some upper division science (e.g. at a 4 year institution). Don’t take shortcuts - you don’t want to limit yourself to only the schools which will accept your somewhat non-standard approach to pre-reqs.
Cheers,
Judy

I’m so glad to find another post-bacc student in SoCal!
Anyone have insight to CSULA or UCLA Extension?_ I’m looking for a challenge, not easy grades. Better facilities/labs, academic advising and the possibility of doing research/or better leads for opportunities.
I’m tentatively planning on CSULA, though I have yet to talk to CSULA counselors or assess their facilities and class offerings. I’ve heard that CSULA is crummy (relative to all the other CSUs and UCs) but it’s still better than CCs and cheaper than Scripps.
As rdecastro stated, the options in the LA area is limited because of the dire financial crisis affecting all California public CCs and Us. They’re turning away 1st degree students, never mind those of us who already graduated.
Much thanks!

If you can get into a Cal State, good luck. As far as I’ve been able to determine, the only way is via extensions (same as at UCLA), which are pretty expensive, and scheduling doesn’t work for me.
As far as the whole CC thing, the classes I’m taking at a CC are transferable to the UC system for credit. In other words, I could take these classes in the first two years of a BS in Bio or whatever, transfer to UCLA to finish the degree, and get a degree from UCLA, Stanford, or USC (except, I’d never go to SC).

ARGGHHH. For those of you New Yorkers looking for Post-bac programs, Hunter’s program is notorious for being inflexible and the students I know who went there were not satisfied-- some told me that they even got incorrect information. I am going to City College, also in the CCNY system, with an excellent advising team (25 yrs experience between them). You should talk to Lolita Wood-Hill. There are a tremendous number of post-bacs there (174) and a great collegial environment.
Columbia is too expensive and I understand that their program is shifting to a 3 year program so it is really going to jack up the price.

I took Gen Chem 1 at CCNY. The class was fine. My problem with CCNY–THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE!!! In January I requested transcripts from them–a couple for myself and 1 for a summer program I was applying to. So what did they do? Nothing, for the first two months. After that, they returned my check to me (in a sealed envelope that until yesterday I assumed contained a transcript!) Along with the check was a note, which basically just repeated the information that was on their transcript request form. The note was TYPED, not computer printed. It had a date stamped in red on it. Its sole purpose, from what I could tell, was not to provide useful information but to illustrate the antiquated state of the CCNY infrastructure. Most disturbingly, the summer program was never sent a transcript at all. (Luckily, since I’ve had similar problems with CCNY in the past, I supplied an unofficial copy myself along with my application.)
I had to call the registrar ten times yesterday before I could get through to a person who could talk to me about the transcript requesting process, and all she could say was that they made some mistake.
I have good and bad things to say about CCNY. Whatever you do, be sure to watch out for their bureaucracy!

2ndave as in second avenue in NYC? I’m such a dingbat…I always read it as the second dave, as in the second dave after OldManDave. Obviously, that would require double d’s, but anyway now it make sense to me. In fact, I’m certain I’ve referred to you as Dave before. Whoops…sorry and sorry for the tangeant.

Don’t feel too bad I thought it was " 2nd Dave " also.

Attached files

Glad I’m not the only one!

I am pretty sure that everyone has thought I was a guy named Dave at one point or another. Yeah, the username is short for 2nd Avenue, which was the address of this really cool apartment I used to live in in Minneapolis (across the street from an awesome polka bar) until I ran out of money and had to shack up with roommates… I also lived on 9th Ave. in Manhattan, and I guess some of these old addresses are just kinda sentimental to me.
But if there is any way to change my username, someone please let me know! I’d love to pick something less confusing.
Ciao,
Andrea

Andrea, I no way meant to contribute to any identity crisis or screen name change… but I am sure that I have referred to you as Dave on at least one occasionan and I felt so silly for it that I had to mention it.

Does anyone know if Queens College in Kissena Blvd has a PostBacc program or if I can just take their orgo and bio classes at night to fulfill the requirements? I’m at Columbia now and for various reasons looking to transfer preferably to Queens College or Hunter if Queens is not a viable option. I’m finishing up Orgo I and Bio I this fall, so I am looking at transferring at the end of this semester, to take Orgo II and Bio II either at Queens or Hunter.
Also for you Hunterrites, does the committee require you to volunteer a set # of hours before they write their recommendation for you? Columbia requires a minimum of 120 hours of volunteer work which is fine if you’re on a two year program but ridiculous if you’re trying to do everything in one year.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

CUNY-Queens College
Daniel Marien, Chair
Health Professions Advisory Committee
Department of Biology
Flushing, NY 11367
(718) 997-3470
(Health Professions Advisory Services R. Koepfer, Director ?)
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Concentration. The concentration is available to students who have completed a baccalaureate and wish to complete the admissions
requirements for the various health-profession schools. Typically, these requirements are general chemistry, organic chemistry, general biology, general physics, and
some mathematics. Many students continue and take some
electives in biology or biochemistry. All students interested in the concentration should consult
the health professions adviser (Science Building B338, 997-3470), who will suggest, on an individual basis, the
structuring of a suitable curriculum.
BA/MD and BA/DDS Programs. In collaboration with the SUNY
Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn (Downstate),
Queens College offers a BA/MD Track Program. Upon
successful completion of all the requirements of the
rigorous BA/MD track at Queens, students will be eligible for consideration for Early Decision
Admission to the MD program at SUNY Downstate (subject to
availability of space).

Gonnif, awesome, thank you very much. Do you know if there’s a strict hours requirement before the committee will write you a recommendation letter or do they just simply require that you have done some volunteer work without a hard number of required hours?