Expressing Interest to Schools

Hello, I’m just getting started with pre-med classes but I’d like to start communicating with some of the schools that I’m interested in so that I’ll know more so which ones I want to apply to when the time comes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to included an email? Right now I just want to express my interest in the schools (D.O.), and then ask who would be a good person for me to chat with to get a few questions answered about classes, meet-and-greet events, and financial aid.

Thank you!

Uncommon

A good place to start is by looking through the AACOMAS school publication:

http://www.aacom.org/news-and-events/publi cations/…

From there, I’d do more detailed research (i.e. school websites) on ones that stand out to you.

School open houses are good to attend if you live near any schools. I went to one and was able to have a one-on-one with the admissions director. I also sat through an online webinar hosted by one school. It was pretty informative.

Your best bet would probably be emailing the school admissions office via the address they have on their website. I’m not sure how much individual time they’ll give your questions since you’re not in the current application cycle, but it’s worth a shot. Of the few emails I sent to admissions offices, replies ranged from a couple of days turn-around time to no acknowledgement.

Good luck in your journey.

I agree with this, especially do some research ahead of time. You might jot down some things that interest you about their school and specific questions, including difference between instate and out of state tuition and criteria for instate status

If you have particular interests such as international short term medical outreach, rural medicine, etc, you can ask about opportunities at that school.

Kate

Thank you Kennymac and Kate for your wonderful guidance. Also, since I’m especially interested in D.O. Schools, would your advice be any different? Or is it about the same?

I was also wondering if you, or if you know anyone, who has attended the Old Pre Meds conference and if you think it would be beneficial?

AACOMAS is specific to DO schools. If you want to look at MD schools, I’d recommend subscribing to the MSAR online, available on the AAMC website.

I think my suggestion is applicable to both types of programs. Do your research ahead of time so you’re not asking questions that have answers readily available online. Schools have lots of information on their websites that answer a lot of the basic and quasi-specific questions you may have.

USNews has an additional database of school/applicant/matricul ant information available for a cost. I never used their paid service, so I don’t know how useful it is. They do offer some information for free, including rankings. Their ranking system may not actually reflect what you desire in a school (i.e. research rank is largely dependent on amount of funding and not necessarily on type of research).

Thank you!

About the OPM conference: GO!

Best decision I could have made, when I first went in 2010.

I just sent you a PM with some more thoughts on it.

Hope to see you there!

I attended the OPM conference before med school - helped my application greatly! Also there were a number of schools who had sent representatives from the admissions department and I could make some connections there. Have stayed involved with OPM and the conferences thruout. Cannot stress too strongly – Go!

For what it’s worth, I found it easier to find someone willing to talk with me when I was early in the process at most of the DO schools I spoke with than at some of the MD institutions. Not true 100% across the board but was a trend.

Kate

Sorry I fell off the planet temporarily! I moved and got knee surgery, but doing well and now getting back to OPM. Thank you for your advice on the conference! It sounds very interesting!

Terra, I didn’t get a PM from you. Can you resend? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

RE: I was also wondering if you, or if you know anyone, who has attended the Old Pre Meds conference and if you think it would be beneficial?

I attended, and had the deer in the headlights look when people asked me “what’s your story?” Which, is really a basic and should have expected it type question. .I’m glad it happened at the conference and not in front of an adcom interview…

short answer: GO!