Extra Curricular Activities

Hey everyone, I’ve got a question…

I’m in the first semester of my post bacc. Since I’ve started and been mixed into the crowd of other post bacc students here, I’ve met some people with varying amounts of clubs, AMSA, AED, ARC, etc. How much is too much of these? Is there too much? How much can it help, or does it help your chances of admission?

Just curious what the consensus was on these types of things. Thank you!!

I can’t reply to the clubs question, I don’t know.

I do know a doctor who sits on the board of admissions a medical school and he says the best thing you can do for your application is to volunteer. They like to see your dedication to medicine while in school. He says it will look amazing on applications to have great grades, work, kids and still be dedicated to helping others. This is even above volunteering on medical trips. So, if you are spending your time with clubs, that’s great. Make sure you are spending time doing some volunteer work as well.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I have been volunteering for the last 5 months; it was one of the first things I started when I began walking this path.

I was just wondering what weight some of these other activities may hold as well. Thanks, though, that does put some perspective on it.

• olderguy Said:
Hey everyone, I've got a question...

I'm in the first semester of my post bacc. Since I've started and been mixed into the crowd of other post bacc students here, I've met some people with varying amounts of clubs, AMSA, AED, ARC, etc. How much is too much of these? Is there too much? How much can it help, or does it help your chances of admission?

Just curious what the consensus was on these types of things. Thank you!!

Overall, your medical school application should be a compelling and concise narrative showing a consistent pattern of committed and motivated hard work. Part of this are the extra-curricular activities. Showing any long-term involvement in a committed and motivated way, especially in a leadership or key role can be a great asset. Volunteering in both medical and non-medical related fields are really a requirement. So find an area, club, group, site, that really interests you so you are motivated to be active. Don't just join a group to have some filler. BTW, some of the national organizations above, besides having local chapters, have regional sections, special-interest sections, etc. I am on all the email lists for AMSA (which number about 25) and they are always looking for someone to be a representative on a committee or at a conference. I think it is a lot easier to get a volunteer position of prominence and note then people realize. Hey, and dont forget OldPreMed as a extracurricular.

I agree that volunteering is key – so it’s great that you’ve already started doing that. Keep it up!

I also agree with Gonnif about the importance of leadership. If you get involved in a club (or anything else for that matter), try to take a leading role – that will speak volumes about you and your character.

I personally am not involved in any of those clubs that you mentioned, although I have taken a leadership position within my own post-bac program. So there are lots of ways to get leadership experience.

Best wishes as you continue your journey!