FAP...not cool for old premeds

This may be complete waste of space…BUT…

Has anyone been able to negotiate with the rejection of FAP as an older student? My dad’s retirement is what killed me. My income qualifies, my mom’s qualifies (divorced parents)…and I am 35 years old and haven’t received financial support from my parents in 16 years! I am legitimately in need of financial support.

I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir; however, I thought maybe the oldpremed “hive mind” had some ideas…

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there’s no way around your parents’ incomes when it comes to the FAP. I had the same struggle. It doesn’t go away, either. I’m getting ready to apply for financial aid for my first year of medical school, and they want my parents’ incomes and assets to determine whether I qualify for need-based aid. A friend of mine (who is now a resident) appealed her med school’s request for her parents’ info, explaining in detail that she had been independent for X number of years, financially on her own, etc. Her appeal was granted. So there may be some relief on a case-by-case basis in med school, but nothing from AMCAS. Wish I had better news …