Dr. Gray and/or others… HELP!!!
I recently determined that I want to be a physician, but I have an MBA acceptance with deposit due in a month. Please send advice!
Without going into detail, over the past 2 years I have experienced multiple family deaths, including my little brother, which have prompted a total re-evaluation of my life and goals. I’m a 32-year-old IT & marketing professional with a degree in Computer Science and a 3.3 cumulative GPA, 3.0 BCPM from a middle-of-no-where state school. I have always felt restless and unfulfilled in my career, but recent circumstances have allowed the opportunity for a complete restart.
I am passionate about being a trusted advisor and an advocate for those who are suffering but never felt I had the wherewithal to do something as impactful and tangible as becoming a physician. For context, I’m a female from the deep south with a love a learning, an introverted personality, and a lower middle class family. Over the years I worked my way through the business world and was recently accepted to a top-15 MBA program. Before my brother died, I was bound and determined to do whatever I could to progress up the corporate ladder and use my position for good in the community (e.g. social impact projects, community service, and being a champion for underrepresented minorities) - hence the goal of the MBA. I was accepted to the program a week after my brother died (I had spent the previous year studying for the GMAT and preparing applications) but decided to defer for a year to heal and spend time with family.
My dilemma is this:
After careful and thoughtful re-evaluation, I know for certain that I want to be a physician. I believe I have the compassion, thirst for knowledge, thoroughness, and perseverance that would allow me to truly make a difference in patients’ lives. However, I still have an MBA acceptance that I’m not sure what to do with.
I’m currently enrolled in multiple science courses at my state university, have been volunteering at a regional hospital, and am scheduled to shadow physicians this spring. I would like to continue taking DIY post-bac courses, but I’m not sure whether I should take them at my state university or at the higher tier university where I’ve been accepted to the MBA program. Because healthcare today is ever-changing and highly complex, I know that many physicians end up completing an MBA either as a dual degree or later in their career. I also know that if I am accepted to medical school, I likely won’t want to tack on an MBA at the end of 4 years of medical education. I love learning and am interested in knowing the ins and outs of the healthcare industry, both clinical and operational.
So… Should I complete an MBA now (while I have the opportunity to do so) and at the same time complete my post-bac science courses? Or should I forgo the MBA and continue taking post-bac courses at my state university? Or to throw another wrench in the mix… should I apply to formal post-bac programs? All of the above will require varying degrees of debt. I want to ensure that I am making wise financial decisions while also making the most of my time and talents.
As a side note… I know there are many variables at play, including financial debt, time commitment, personal considerations, grades, ECs, etc, but I would prefer not to stay in my hometown/home state for the foreseeable future.
What would you do??
– J (southern girl in a clinical world)