Fight or drop the issue?

I have a weak ugrad gap of 3.3, and got overzealous over the summer and had to withdraw from a physics course (a W is on my record).

This past semester, I took organic chemistry I (got an A) and Biology II (got a B).

My question is whether I should grade appeal the Bio II grade. I was very close to an A and my university does not give +s or -s, so though i got a B+ in percentage that my prof calculated, I am given a B for the course.

I love the professor, but I feel like the lab instructor (different from the regular professor) graded a few of my assignments unfairly. If I can get those points, I could get an A.

I have already discussed this discrepancy with the professor and she is adamant about not giving me an A, so I would have to go above her and contact the department chair.

This Bio II professor is my advisor and someone I want to do research with at the university. She also has connections to a summer program I am interested in.

I am not sure how appealing the grade would affect our relationship, but I am worried about it.

So, my question is what would you guys do? Fight for the A or just drop it and take the B?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Most people in academia aren’t crazy about students going up the chain on them, so it would probably hurt your relationship. That being said it really depends on: if you think you have a fighting chance of getting an A and if an A is worth more than the other stuff with your professor. If she is an advisor is their a chance she could be part of a committe letter?

1, never, ever, try to go above a professor to change a grade. Only if you can make a convincing case regarding the unfair treatment by your lab professor, then that is the angle you should pursue.

2, # 1 is true for any professor and / or instructor, moreover in your case, as you state that she is a) your adviser, b) she’s got contacts that interest you.

3, How is your relation with your lab instructor?

Maybe if you approach him or her and plea your case, that would give you support for a motion on grade substitution. But, and this is a big but, do not inform your lab instructor that you need your grade changed in order to obtain an A, that would give him or her, unnecessary power over you, which he or she would use mercilessly. Just position yourself as wanting a revision in the interest of fairness.

If successful, rush to your professor and make a plea again, armed with your lab grade-change results.

Only under these conditions should you make an appeal, underscore “only under these conditions”.

At any rate, if grades have already been posted, it is an uphill battle, with slim to none chances to be won, but, and this is another big but, one you definitely need/must fight.

Good luck! If you decide to go with the ruse, keep us posted.

Pick your battles wisely. I echo the others, this is not one of them.

Academia is a very small world, even nationwide, people know people who whisper in hallways.

Don’t be “that” student.

Instead, celebrate your hard earned organic grade!

• BaileyPup Said:
If she is an advisor is their a chance she could be part of a committe letter?

This is something that I never thought about, but is a great point. I am already planning on asking for recommendations from her for summer programs, but she will probably end up being someone that would be a part of a committee letter.

• Cesar Said:
# 3, How is your relation with your lab instructor?

My relationship with him is great. I was always really engaged in lab and genuinely cared about the material. He had said to me that if I was on the cusp of an "A" that he would change a few grades since I was really a strong student. He already did change a grade on an assignment but it wasn't enough, so I would be kinda be asking for even more which is kinda presumptuous.

My main worry is that, since this is included in the science GPA, it brings it down. I am taking more sciences, but it still worries me to have anything but an "A" in all of them. Perhaps it is just FUD getting the better of me....

I think you need to look at the bigger picture here.

Pick your battles. This is a good lesson in restraint. Your grades from here on out, if all A’s will be less affected by that one B, and if you were to get all A’s, that might raise red flags as well. (Too into books, no social skills sort of thing.)

Why would you want to piss off your advisor/professor just for a slightly higher grade? Not worth it! Besides, a B won’t keep you out of medical school.

Cheers,

Judy

• jcolwell Said:
Why would you want to piss off your advisor/professor just for a slightly higher grade? Not worth it! Besides, a B won't keep you out of medical school.

Cheers,

Judy

Only because my ugrad gpa is so weak that I feel like I need to get all As in the sciences and math to convince them that I can handle medical school.

Not to be a broken record, but an excellent score on the mcat may possibly show that them exactly that.

I know I’m new, but I’ve had experience in undergrad trying to change grades. The first time was directly related to a trip to the hospital that landed me in for a week; I never caught up in school. On top of that, the teacher wouldn’t show me any mercy. In the act of trying to change it I only made the relationship with her WORSE, and I mean BAD(she wouldn’t even speak or look at me in the hallways), and I made myself look like a fool to the people above. On top of that, it is VERY hard to try and prove to committees/the dean that you deserve a better grade, even with some backing it can become a nightmare. It wasn’t worth it for me. Needless to say, I ended up having to retake the course.

I learned the hard way that if a teacher doesn’t want to give you the grade that you think you deserve, it isn’t worth it to try to go above them. And like everyone says, people in academia talk, and if you have classes you need to still take it, it could make it harder to get the grades you need. Your application to med school isn’t just GPA, we all know that, but having a stellar LORs, good volunteer experience, an awesome MCAT, and proving that after you get a B that you can bounce right back and get the A that you need in harder classes, then I’m sure it will prove that you have what it takes. (It may also improve your relationship with the department by showing them you are willing to work even harder.)

I know we all want to be in the best possible position for adcoms, but look at it this way:

Bumps in the road only make you more prepared for the future. If you can take the “negatives” from this and turn it around, you can learn to overcome adversity in the future! It can be a powerful tool to utilize!

Like everyone says, #1 rule here, take a deep breath!

We got your back here! I would rather have you learn from my own personal “failures” than have you experience something similar.

• Rob

@Indie: thanks for sharing your experience with me. It just makes me realize that I made the right decision.

Just to update everyone, I spoke with the professor yesterday and told her I was dropping the issue and that I was sorry I made such a big deal about it. Hopefully, my even bringing it up did not cause any ill will to form.

I am really grateful for everyones advice on this issue and the personal experiences shared. I was really adamant about pursuing this issue but everyones advice on here really convinced me that this would be a poor choice and would most likely not result in a grade change and, instead, produce only Ill will amongst my advisor and faculty in the Biology department as a whole.

I just get intense anxiety when I get anything less than an A and FUD sets in.

Please delete this post. I am sorry for the duplicate posts. I don’t know how this is happening

If I had done something similar, I would continue to make appearances with this professor and be OVERLY kind and thoughtful as to show that your behavior with this issue was an aberration. Stopping by to say, “Wow, I learned so much from genetics that it is helping me do better in the biochem class where we are studying mutations of genes. How do you think it would be best to study and …”

Yes, it is sucking up. Yes, it is networking. I could write a book on how I have networked myself into the university’s medical school, professorships, and other staff. People love me and I am really not that loveable!

That said, a continued meeting with her continues to reinforce the idea that you’re a stable, contrite, young woman - not a snot nosed premed who thinks the world is owed to her.

It sounds like you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

• Adoc2be Said:
If I had done something similar, I would continue to make appearances with this professor and be OVERLY kind and thoughtful as to show that your behavior with this issue was an aberration. Stopping by to say, "Wow, I learned so much from genetics that it is helping me do better in the biochem class where we are studying mutations of genes. How do you think it would be best to study and ..."

Yes, it is sucking up. Yes, it is networking. I could write a book on how I have networked myself into the university's medical school, professorships, and other staff. People love me and I am really not that loveable!

That said, a continued meeting with her continues to reinforce the idea that you're a stable, contrite, young woman - not a snot nosed premed who thinks the world is owed to her.

It sounds like you've learned a valuable lesson.

I mean, she is my advisor so I will continue to go and talk to her during the time I spend at the university. She knows I really like her and we talk about non-school related stuff too, like how we both want extremely nerdy science tattoos (she wants an alga on her ankle and I want the periodic entry for mercury on the underside of my wrist).

I did learn a valuable lesson: you can't always get what you want/expect. I fucked up on the final (straight up failed it) and that was my fault.

One B won’t affect your overall GPA by much. One A won’t affect your overall GPA by much. Getting into medical school is more than GPA. There is also MCAT score and also letters of recommendation.

If she really likes you, she would be willing to write you a kick-ass letter. Would you rather have a B and a kick-ass letter or an A and an okay letter?

I would pick the former. One of the things teachers dislike is people who nitpick about grades. Don’t sour the relationship by dwelling on one grade. And don’t go above her for something as small as a B. I got a few C’s and I still got in.

• sadako12 Said:
we both want extremely nerdy science tattoos (she wants an alga on her ankle and I want the periodic entry for mercury on the underside of my wrist).

Eh. OUCH!?!?!? hahaha - good luck with THAT!

(That said, I always wanted the Buddhist symbol for hope on my hip bone so that it constantly reminded me, each day, that I always have hope.)

You're going to rock the rest of your courses - I just sense that!

sadako12 -

I wanted to add one thing. Think about how you prepared in that class and what you plan to (or have ) done differently to improve your performance in other courses. Write a short narrative in the journal you hopefully are keeping or plan to start, where you also detail experiences in shadowing or volunteering and what they mean to you.

In MANY of my interviews, I was asked “suppose you are struggling in a medical school course, or fail the first test, what would you do”. I took an example from a postbacc class where I was struggling and got a lower grade, and what I did differently and learned from to then excell in that class. I think those interviews went very well (had 4 acceptances when I stopped going to interviews and paid my deposit at my current school). Evidence that you are not destroyed by a setback, but can utilize it as a learning experience and overcome it is a very positive point arguing that you will be successful in medical school.

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
sadako12 -

I wanted to add one thing. Think about how you prepared in that class and what you plan to (or have ) done differently to improve your performance in other courses. Write a short narrative in the journal you hopefully are keeping or plan to start, where you also detail experiences in shadowing or volunteering and what they mean to you.

In MANY of my interviews, I was asked "suppose you are struggling in a medical school course, or fail the first test, what would you do". I took an example from a postbacc class where I was struggling and got a lower grade, and what I did differently and learned from to then excell in that class. I think those interviews went very well (had 4 acceptances when I stopped going to interviews and paid my deposit at my current school). Evidence that you are not destroyed by a setback, but can utilize it as a learning experience and overcome it is a very positive point arguing that you will be successful in medical school.

Kate

I think what mainly happened is that I got overwhelmed at the end of the semester. I had two exams in one day (the other being Organic Chemistry).

For next time, I think I just need to start studying earlier for exams. Just because the test is weeks away, that doesn't mean I shouldnt start studying for it. The prof even suggested we start reviewing.

I also just needed to have paid attention to when exams were scheduled. That way, I would have known to prepare earlier for the Biology test.

Getting Bs just hurts my self confidence. It shouldn't, and people have been trying to convince me of that for years, but it justs brings up so much anxiety since I start to worry about my ugrad gpa, etc etc. It starts to be an endless abyss of FUD and makes me feel hopeless. X.x Not sure how I can change that.

Start by BREATHING!