Figuring it all out

Now, I wanted to bounce something else off you guys. Tell me what you think about this.

All my life I’ve wanted to do something that would be constantly engaging and stimulating but also help people. Now most recently, I spent a good chunk of time (almost 5 years) trying to become a police officer (it’s REALLY hard and competitive). The thing is, I didn’t want to be a police officer to break up domestic spats, write speeding tickets, compose endless amounts of beuracratic paperwork, or deal with the ridiculous amount of political B.S. and scrutiny that is attached to that post…

I did it for the car (metaphorically speaking for all you non-poetic types).

I did it because of the status attached to being a police officer, the amount of respect (perceived) that comes along with the post. Every time I thought of myself as a police officer, I envisioned myself screwing down some avenue, lights flashing and sirens blaring “get the hell out of my way, I’m important!”

I think about being a doctor (what little I know, anyway), and I relish the idea of the paperwork. The long hours and sleep deprivation only entice me further (although, sleep deprivation DOES suck). I envision myself just sitting down in front of someone with a cold, or the flu and just talking to them. Asking them how their day or week was, just being a person who cares about other people.

I don’t embellish or romanticise the interesting aspects of the job or downplay and minimize the less interesting and unpleasant sides of the job. I take the good with the bad. I want it all.

When this thought struck me, it took me ten full minutes to comprehend just what that meant for me. I’d finally found something that I believed I could be happy with. That’s when I figured out that I really DID want to be a doctor. Isn’t that strange?