Final application list (mostly)

OK folks, here is my final list of schools that I will be applying to this year, any hints or red flags? I would love to hear from current students or alumni from any of these. Specifically, any information about the housing in the area as well as particulars I should know about your school that aren’t necessarily easily obtained. We have lived in Buffalo and Albany, but feel free to contribute if you feel so inclined.

• University at Buffalo
  • UNorth Texas at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Stony Brook
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
  • SUNY Upstate
  • LSU Shreveport
  • Baylor
  • Mayo
  • Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Virginia Campus
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – NewYork
  • University of Wisconsin SOM
  • East Carolina-Brody
  • Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
  • Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
  • Meharry Medical College
  • University of Arkansas
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Vanderbilt University
  • University of Albany

Do you currently live in Louisiana? I just know, from growing up there, that only Louisiana residents will be admitted to LSU-S.

Aside from that, here’s hoping I’ll see you on the interview trail at Vandy and Meharry! I live in Nashville, so those schools are top on my list…

Good luck!!

Check the MSAR for the state school MD programs you have listed. If they don’t accept OOS then it’s not worth applying there. Or the small number of OOS they do let in may have very strong ties to the state. Sometimes you have to explain your ties in the secondary so you can also see what questions they ask by looking at previous years.

That’s a rather eclectic list. What were you considering when you put it together?

If you’re applying MD as well as DO, at highly encourage you to apply to all of the Ohio medical schools. You can get in-state tuition after the first year and most of them take at least 25% of their class from OOS.

By law, The University of North Texas Health Science Center (TCOM) accepts 90% of state residents. Unless you have very strong ties to the state and/or plan on doing a DO/Phd program, I would not apply to TCOM. As a private school, Baylor COM is not bound by law to accept 90% of state residents.

All good information people, thanks! This is exactly why I put the list up here!!

@carrieliz- Thanks, I overlooked a couple of schools on the MSAR. East-Carolina Brody and LSU-S are now off my list. Meharry and Vandy are also high on my list as well. As a former US Army SGT, my wife and I lived in Hopkinsville, KY and we loved Nashville.

@shawn- Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked the OOS acceptances for my list and revised accordingly.

@Emergency- My wife and I made the list based primarily on cost and city population (with a few exceptions). Thanks for the info about Ohio med schools. I had no idea that one would be considered in-state after a year!?

@Eagleeye - Didn’t know that about TCOM, thanks!

Yes, I would echo double checking the list against MSAR, which will often tell you if they even take any OOS appplicants. To me, one that only takes 10% OOS might be worth a shot if you have super high scores/grades/experience. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother.

You also want to check if there are any restrictions on that 10% out of state population. For example, University of TN has that 90% in-state rule, but the 10% that can be Out of Staters still have to come from neighboring/border states of Tennessee.

So many details!!

With all the NY state schools, I presume you live there. If so, then you should include ALL the other NY state schools. At first I thought you may have been avoiding New York city, but you have the Touro COM on the list. Mount Sinai and Albert Einstein (which had a 53 y/o graduate) should be considered. If you think you are competitive enough for Mayo or Vanderbilt or Stony Brook, then Columbia and Cornell Weill should be on your list. Lastly, University of Albany (ie SUNY Albany)does NOT have a medical school. I presume you mean Medical College of Albany. Also, does University of Wisconsin have preferred state residents as a public institution? Did you mean Medical College of Wisconsin, which I believe is a private institution.

To repeat what others have previously posted, cross check each school with MSAR for out of state acceptances.

Can I lastly suggest that you reorganize your list separating MD and DO and then further subdivided by state. Then for yourself, put a one or two line reason WHY you want that school on your list.

One reason should be, as Judy Colwell says, apply to ALL the schools in your state. (I should put together a list of Judy’s Top Ten Rules)

I was at “DO Day on the Hill” yesterday and met students from LMU-DCOM (where I interviewed - was pretty impressed), Pikeville COM, and Edward Via VCOM, and they all said they were pretty happy with their school.

If LMU-DCOM is acceptable based on city size, then WVSOM (shameless plug) should be on there also —Lewisburg, WV is a bigger town and a wonderful place to live. However, I admit tuition for out of state students is a bear, and might be a reason to not include it.

Kate

Another shameless plug: I see you have Des Moine University College of Osteopathic Medicine on your list. If you don’t have a particular reason for avoiding Missouri, I would consider KCUMB. I am very happy here, love the curriculum, I have lots of patient exposure from day 1 and there is lots of opportunity to become involved in research if that’s your thing. They are pretty selective in choosing people for interviews so if you get one, you’ve got a pretty good chance of getting in (75-80% acceptance among those that get an interview).

Lynda

@Richard, yes I was hasty when I was typing in names. I knew it was Albany Medical College, I did a sloppy cut and paste job because I had originally listed only the cities of the schools.

I will likely add some of the NY schools back to list. After living a few blocks away from Columbia, we are determined to avoid the city (only because of the prohibitive rent) at all costs. I don’t know how feasible it would be to commute. There are also a couple of schools that are just a bit out of my price range. Due to some poor decisions in my 20s, I am rebuilding my credit and I don’t know whether or not I can qualify for additional funds. We’ll be pinching pennies for sure with many of the schools.

@Kate and Linda- Thanks! I will definitely keep your schools in mind. Nothing is solidified yet!

If you are applying to NY then why not also apply to schools in NJ and PA?

The UMDNJ schools will offer you in state tuition after 1 year of NJ residency.

@Gabe - I didn’t realize that UMDNJ offered in state after a year, I may reconsider some of my picks.

Is this information on the MSAR? Do many schools offer in state tuition after a year? This would have a huge impact on my list.

Deny I think the list looks pretty good. Do you have family in KY, the reason why I ask is then UK and UofL could be on the list, also if you don’t I might take Pikeville off. They are pretty region specific (why I didn’t apply to WV, but if you are really competitive it might not matter. The thing about Pike was that they were way behind the rest this year as in months behind, so if you are like me you may have your choice before you even get and invite.

All else aside there is really only one choice on the list DMU!!!

Denny if you want to know anything about the schools I interviewed at pm me.