First day of class at new school

I only took bio 2 and chem 2 with hopes of finding a job to help pay down my credit card from last semesters gas fiasco.

In anycase, I’m not sure I’m going to like this bio prof. She seems nice enough, but does not teach. We are expected to read and outline the text book (which is fine), but beyond that she offers nothing but reading over the outline provided by the authors of the textbook. I am wondering why they simply don’t offer this as an online course since I’m doing all the self educating anyway.

We are expected to know more than at the C.C. so I do need to brush up on some terminology we didn’t get there. The program is more intense but seriously, what am I paying for if I’m teaching myself the material anyway?

Chemistry seemed better. I’m not sure if I made a good first impression or not being I’m sick and it took every last ounce of strength not to burst into coughing spasms in the middle of the lecture (sometimes I failed in that attempt). I think I spent most of the class holding my breath so I wouldn’t cough up a lung. Chemistry seems pretty standard, he does a lot of review and working through the problems and offers extra time outside of class for extra class room setting type help.

The bad part is with an 8 a.m. class I’m getting up at 5 a.m. to get the baby to daycare and do the commute. The good part is classes are done at 10 and I am not due to pick the baby up again until 3ish. So I have all that down time to study (and apparently outline my bio book).

How is everyone else doing their first weeks/days of this semester?

That’s great that you have the whole afternoon to study like that! Sounds like you should be able to get it all done. I am lucky that I have alot of downtime at work and my bosses encourage me to get my homework done while at work. My first week has been great so far. I don’t start Algebra until March as I took it in a condensed session as it was the only thing that fit timewise.

Although I do think my 1 boss is already annoyed that I want to be a doctor instead of an attorney…everyday he keeps asking if we’ve dissected frogs yet and if I’ve changed my mind and decided to revisit the idea of law school.

Haha Rhonda, that’s pretty funny. We get to dissect some hairy worm next week, does that count?

Algebra was a killer for me. Are you sure you want to take that as a condensed class? I ended up having to retake it. I’m talking “D” had to retake it. Our school offered it as a 6 week course…way too fast for one not good with math.

This is an 8 week and that’s the only way they offer it unless you can take it everyday mid-day which I just can’t and I really need to get going on math. I also just found out that my future sister in law is a math genius so she has offered up some free tutoring if need be. I actually was browsing through my book and the concepts are not foreign to me and I actually could work a few of the problems. I think it will be easier for me now that I’m more serious about learning. That was my entire problem before. I was going to school trying to earn a degree that I didn’t really want so I could devote my life to work in a field that I felt no real desire to do. Hard to get motivated about that!

I hear you there. It’s good you have her to help you should you get stuck. I clawed my way through both attempts on that class.

Have I mentioned, I really am not good at math? Hehe.

• BOOBS Said:
I only took bio 2 and chem 2 with hopes of finding a job to help pay down my credit card from last semesters gas fiasco.

In anycase, I'm not sure I'm going to like this bio prof. She seems nice enough, but does not teach. We are expected to read and outline the text book (which is fine), but beyond that she offers nothing but reading over the outline provided by the authors of the textbook. I am wondering why they simply don't offer this as an online course since I'm doing all the self educating anyway.

We are expected to know more than at the C.C. so I do need to brush up on some terminology we didn't get there. The program is more intense but seriously, what am I paying for if I'm teaching myself the material anyway?

Chemistry seemed better. I'm not sure if I made a good first impression or not being I'm sick and it took every last ounce of strength not to burst into coughing spasms in the middle of the lecture (sometimes I failed in that attempt). I think I spent most of the class holding my breath so I wouldn't cough up a lung. Chemistry seems pretty standard, he does a lot of review and working through the problems and offers extra time outside of class for extra class room setting type help.

The bad part is with an 8 a.m. class I'm getting up at 5 a.m. to get the baby to daycare and do the commute. The good part is classes are done at 10 and I am not due to pick the baby up again until 3ish. So I have all that down time to study (and apparently outline my bio book).

How is everyone else doing their first weeks/days of this semester?

This is a common problem at universities. I took two lower division science classes at UCD and the professors were simply atrocious. Fortunately, if you plan to take any upper division courses, you will probably have much better professors since the good ones seem to be the ones teaching upper division.

OH good. SO there’s hope for Genetics and histology.

Oh, remember my concern over the words “The Truth Shall Set You Free” over the science building and being concerned it was a creationism agenda?

I was wrong. The science building is completely attached…to the library!

It makes perfect sense for a library!

I feel rather old. Much like an enigma. I was the ONLY older student there surrounded by 18 year olds in designer jeans. Creepy. I’m like the old fart there.

• BOOBS Said:
OH good. SO there's hope for Genetics and histology.

Oh, remember my concern over the words "The Truth Shall Set You Free" over the science building and being concerned it was a creationism agenda?

I was wrong. The science building is completely attached...to the library!

It makes perfect sense for a library!

I feel rather old. Much like an enigma. I was the ONLY older student there surrounded by 18 year olds in designer jeans. Creepy. I'm like the old fart there.

Ah ok, well yeah that makes sense for a library. I'm surprised though...the science bldg attached to the library? Usually buildings aren't connected at universities.

Don't worry though, the difference between you and the 18 y/os is that you know better than to pay 50-80 dollars for those designer jeans that come complete with holes pre-torn into them.

Well, let me rephrase, it seems to be connected by a walkthrough. Just a wind barrier. From the front you can tell they are two separate buildings. From the back, not so much.

• In reply to:
Usually buildings aren't connected at universities.

Tim, my friend, I can tell you are from California. Here in the midwest, I can tell you that lots of schools have their buildings connected by tunnels or windbreaks or something similar. As a matter of fact, when I was interviewing for medical school, schools that had tunnels connecting their buildings made that a major selling point (especially when you were interviewing in January). Most of the medical school buildings at Ohio State, Wright State, Cincinnati and University of Toledo are all connected. I have to tell you that it's awfully nice to not have to go outside again once you get to school. Last week, it was -20 a couple of mornings when I left and -10 one morning this week. (Actual temperature, not wind chill).

I’ll take our great midwest sampler platter of seasons over the fear of hurricanes, earthquakes and other natural disasters that cause insurance companies to offer financing for coverage.

We have family and friends on the west coast, more precisely San Diego. Oh and real estate premiums. Our friends own an apartment complex, for what they paid I could have renovated the entire city of Detroit…Yes I live in Michigan!

• maddux31 Said:
I'll take our great midwest sampler platter of seasons over the fear of hurricanes, earthquakes and other natural disasters that cause insurance companies to offer financing for coverage.

We have family and friends on the west coast, more precisely San Diego. Oh and real estate premiums. Our friends own an apartment complex, for what they paid I could have renovated the entire city of Detroit....Yes I live in Michigan!

Hurricanes? Here? Uh, all Cali has to worry about is earthquakes and we get a major one like every 20 years...terrifying. Unless you live in Los Angeles or San Francisco, you're likely not near a major fault anyway so you're safe. Renter's insurance and mortgage insurance is dirt cheap around here as a result.

I'll admit the cost of living is freaking ridiculous, but I looked at Texas as an example of a place I might move to because the cost of living is way cheaper and there's a reason...no good diving there. If the state doesn't have good diving, then it's not a good state as far as I'm concerned.
  • Emergency! Said:
  • In reply to:
Usually buildings aren't connected at universities.

... it was -20 a couple of mornings when I left and -10 one morning this week. (Actual temperature, not wind chill).

Wimps!!!!

Here in the sunny, home of the greatest 2nd place teams in the world, it was a balmy -35 air temp (without windchill)... They had to close the schools for two days because the buses diesel clumps and stalls the vehicle out.

U of MN is hooked up by tunnels, and skyways (affectionately called, the habitrail).

I’ll take PA thank you. All four seasons, few natural disasters…o.k. RARE natural disasters, but that does mean the winter gets pretty chilly.

I won’t complain about my 12 degree stint to the closed college bookstore with baby in tow though, after hearing the -35. How do people survive in -35 anyway? I’m pretty sure the H2O in my cells would freeze and rupture or something horrific to that effect.

Naw, even in severe hypothermia your body never gets much colder than 82 degrees or maybe 77 if you’re already dead.

Now the outside of your body is another matter…man my face would freeze, literally! I’ll stay in Cali thankyouverymuch.