First Responder course

Hey everyone! I’ve been a while since I’ve posted here… I had a question that popped up last night, which I’m hoping you all could give me some feedback on.

The way my classes are progressing, I hope to be finishing at the end of the summer session. This means that I will (relatively) have more “free time” - and hopefully a job, untill I take the MCATS (in Dec).

My question is this: I’ve been considering taking a Certificate First Responder course. It’s a few weeks at most. Why you might ask? Because aside from actually wanting to, I figured that the skills I can gain from having that experience can help me with potential job prospects (before med school of course).

On the other hand, I’ve been told it might hurt me in the sense that Ad Coms will see that I’ve done this First Responder course and question what my true commitment is to medical school if ive essentially started going down the “Paramedic route” in the first place. (First Responder is a pre-req to any Paramedic program for those of you wondering.)

Any opinions as to whether or not this can hurt or help, or neither, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• putnam2800 Said:
On the other hand, I've been told it might hurt me in the sense that Ad Coms will see that I've done this First Responder course and question what my true commitment is to medical school if ive essentially started going down the "Paramedic route" in the first place. (First Responder is a pre-req to any Paramedic program for those of you wondering.)

This is kind of baffling me. Who told you that? If you're gaining healthcare experience, which some schools require, how can it be a bad thing? If your intention was to become a paramedic (I am a paramedic) you would do that. If you can find a way to get healthcare experience doing something that you are interested in there should be faulting you for that. I figured out I wanted to be a doctor AFTER being a paramedic for a year, so if I get good grades and a good MCAT score, I'm less competitive? This doesn't follow logic. Two of the three medical directors in my (huge) system were paramedics before becoming physicians.

With that said, First responders can't do much in most states beyond lay person CPR and common first aid. I think they can give oxygen and backboard patients but that's about it (basically a life guard that can run red lights). I am by no means downplaying the role of a first responder, they are important, but the certification is usually a supplement to someone in a career like police officer, firefighter, beach or ski patrol etc. You really would, imho, get more benefit skipping the class and just volunteering in a variety of different healthcare settings. I think you would learn more shadowing an ER doc.

With my opinion noted, enjoy your life and do what you want. If you weigh the pros and cons of you taking the class and your desire to get some emergency response work is still there, do it. Let your grades, mcat, interview, and passion speak for you, not your experience as a first responder. If you have enough in the way of volunteering and/or research, you don't even have to bring it up.

If you could present the above argument laid to you about EMS being harmful in the eyes of adcoms, I'd really like to hear it.

Hey there thanks for your reply. As far as presenting an argument about EMS being harmful, I have none unfortunately… this is just what I have been told. Actually i was told by someone who has not been there done that, so I should prob take it with a grain of salt.

In your case though, you actually ARE a paramedic so you’ve followed through with it. In my case, I’m talking about taking a course that I might not wind up with a job in. But I agree though, If the first responder course is the only thing that I would have time (and money) for, then I should just not even bother and put my energy into more shadowing.

From what I know, which consists of this site and all the books you can buy at Barnes&Noble on medschool, it is more important to show that you will follow through with something you care about as opposed to just “strengthening your app.” If first responder (or even EMT) really is what you want, go for it. We need more people who actually care.

Matt, you make a very good point . And I think I’ve come to my decision based on that…thank you

People on SDN say not to take courses like emt-b because “adcoms will see right through it.” They say not to get the certs unless you will get a job using them because it looks like you’re padding your application. They also say its like making mockery out of what some people do as a career. I did not take that advice and I am now half way through the course. I’m hoping it will help me get a position in EMS or as an ER Tech during my gap year. If I don’t end up using the cert at a job I don’t believe it will turn into a fault in my application. I am learning a lot about pre-hospital care. I also get some ER clinical hours where I shadow physicians.

First Responder skills are great for everyone to know and it sounds like it won’t take long to get certified. I say go for it.