For those in med school and beyond, how old were the oldest nontrads...

that you know got into med school? Yes, I’m still on the age thing…but humor me .

Kris

*There was a 62 y/o former judge who went to SUNY Downstate Medical School

*a 57 y/o former cop who was accepted and turned down SUNY Stony Brook (this was told me by a member of the admission committee at Stony Brook)

*The speaker and sponsor from St. Matthews I believe went to school in his late 40’s or early 50’s.

*At the risk of giving something away here, I am 47 and I know that i am not oldest person in OPM who is attending or has graduated from med school

How old is too old? It appears that the upper limit approaches infinity

Kris,

First & foremost, you gotta let go of this age obscession. Believe me, you will be able to find more reasons than you can imagine NOT to do this & no sane person would ever question your rationale for choosing to not try. However, for those of us who are doing it, we choose to fly in the face of “conventional wisdom”. You cannot expect people who do not have that drive, the unquenchable burn to become a physician to understand. All you can hope for is that those whom you love will support you during your less-than-rational endeavor.

Now, to humor you, I was the 4th oldest in my class starting at age 33. The oldest started at age 44 with three children under 10 at home. He & his wife had children 4, 5 & 6 during medical school & he still graduated in the top 10% and is currently an Army surgical resident. Old fart #2 was a free-spirit, vagabond sorta ultra-earthy sorta guy - he was great! Old fart #3 was a retired female Army officer who flew helicopters. She was a total trip & could drink beer like a fish! Out of ~160 in my class, more than 25% were 30 or older when we started. I do not have figures to prove it, but I can almost guarantee the old fart crowd represented a disporportionate share of the top 25% of my graduating class.

Again, you need to let go of the age thing…I will not lie and say it is not going to be nor ever will be an issue, because to some people (unfortunately, some of those making decisions) it will be an issue. But, you cannot do a damned thing about your age. You either get older or you become worm food - you only two options. So, as long as you are able to draw in a breath, invest it in making life what you seek from it. If that is becoming a physician, then go for it. If it is something else, then go for that. There is no loss of face except for choosing not to try.

Victory or Defeat…

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”

–Theodore Roosevelt

Attached files 1174774966-Victory_or_Defeat.doc (19.5 KB)Â
  • OldManDave Said:
Victory or Defeat…

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”

--Theodore Roosevelt

Good one!

I'm putting that on my refrigerator.

I gotta second what Dave has said. Kris, I urge you to vow that you will NOT think about the age thing any more!

Here’s a list of things you canNOT do anything about:

– your birthdate

– your ethnic background

– your early educational career

Here’s a list of the things you CAN do something about:

– your present educational pursuits

– your attitude

– your determination

– your career choices

– your approach to the rest of your life

– your hair color

– your suit color on interviews

and so on. There are a very few things that are in the past, they’re done, they’re over, you can’t do anything about them. But by how you present yourself NOW and in the future, you can demonstrate that those things that have shaped you (how old you are, your early experiences, your past education) have contributed to making you the strong, determined, forward-thinking person you are today.

There are always going to be stories about how someone got rejected somewhere and they were told they were too old. Because we are sensitive to the fact that we’re outside the norm, we seize on the unfairness of this and can obsess over it. But in fact rejections come for lots and lots of reasons… and so do acceptances. An application may have holes in it that the applicant is blind to - and so that person tells everyone “I was turned down, and I’m sure it’s because I’m 40 because they’ve never accepted anyone over than 38.”

It’s never so clear-cut. There are lots of subtleties in the application process. How you come across personally in the interview is VERY important. Getting INTO the interview is also key, obviously, and so how you come across on paper - which is much much more than MCAT and GPA - is also important.

No more age stuff! The other stuff is way more important!

Mary

Well I started at 41, I have two classmates 52 and 64, there are about 3 more at my school 38 to 45 and I have a friend at Ross at 43 (I’m also 43 now)all Caribbean though, then a few here on OPM…

While I do think age is an issue I think your attitude matters way more in the process.

Okay, I give!!! No more age talk!!! You all are very right, and Mary, I’m going to print out yours and put it on my refrigerator…it’ll hopefully keep me going in a forward position, and not a backwards position.

thanks again everyone!

Kris

Well, Im new on this forum and I thought I had age issues only. Im 36 yrs old and I had NO idea people apply to medical school older than me. That is nice to know.