Freaking personal statement!

I have to say that I’m an upfront kinda person. I have this need to be honest, and I feel FAKE if I have to rearrange my words to “PLEASE” someone.
So, in trying to mentally draft my PS, I’ve come up with something like this (rambling thoughts, to be developed):
I never really seriously considered going to medical school until I met the amazing Dr. X. In working with him, all of a sudden, I found myself half-convinced to run out and apply to med school ASAP. But I was pregnant with my second child and life was happening, so I tabled the notion for a while while hormones took over.
So something tragic happened to Dr. X the next year. And these “You could be a doctor- and a dang good one- do it! Do it!” thoughts resurfaced during the grieving process. With the support of family and friends, I began following this dream. I’d like to think that Dr. X’s death was the catalyst for my self-realization, that his death will not be in vain.
As far as being a mother and a doctor, I know I wouldn’t have entertained the thought of doctoring as a career if it weren’t for my children. I’m more patient, honest, caring…I am a completely different person now. Being responsible for a little life matures you in ways you never thought possible. I can no longer be completely selfish, and this was a big life lesson for me.
My children and my husband are my strength.
I’d like to support other women and their partners and to help them become more empowered in not only their healthcare choices, but to help them to consider alternative, outside-of-the-mainstream parenting choices such as gentle parenting and breastfeeding. More than physical beings, we are beings of the mind and spirit, and being a good parent is more than providing food and shelter. Nurturing the hearts and souls of children is the greatest gift given to a parent, and allowing children to grow into their own selves is the greatest gift we can give.

Okay…am I sharing too much? Part of my problem is that I haven’t looked at personal statements that “worked” for other pre-meds. Any thoughts on what a PS should cover?

I’m not seeing any objectionable content to your writing here (I thought you were gonna bring up your prior sexual indiscretions, drug use and nomadic lifestyle, like the rest of us… rolleyes.gif ). It’s perfectly legitimate to discuss what people or experiences motivated your pursuit of medicine.
In terms of transitioning from parenthood to medical training, the personal sacrifices are tremendous, and admission committees will look for examples of dedication and committment in your recent history to support the idea that you have a true recognition and ability to cope. If you’ve managed to carry a full school schedule, volunteer at the local ED, and still maintain your personal life, that speaks pretty well to the fact that you can effectively juggle a demanding career and a family. If, on the other hand, you have limited yourself to two classes per quarter, taken time off at intervals due to personal reasons, and not pursued extracurricular activities, then you may find them skeptical. The last thing they want to do is turn over one of their valued slots to a person who will abandon their training because they didn’t realize how very much it conflicts with their parenting (which it truly does).
I think the onus may be upon you to demonstrate the level of your committment to medical training. A paragraph emphasizing the importance of your family to you is perfectly appropriate, but I’d work in discussions about your understanding of the process involved, and offer concrete ways which you have demonstrated your ability to incorporate these two fulltime pursuits.

I see what you are saying. I have worked full-time almost the entire time I've been a parent (6+ yrs), and I now work directly with patients and DOs, so I know I can maintain my committment to my family AND to my medical career.
I'm still in the mental diarrhea stage of my PS, though, so I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually.

QUOTE (Runtita @ May 1 2003, 11:42 AM)
I see what you are saying. I have worked full-time almost the entire time I've been a parent (6+ yrs), and I now work directly with patients and DOs, so I know I can maintain my committment to my family AND to my medical career.
I'm still in the mental diarrhea stage of my PS, though, so I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually.

Hi there,
You want to work your personal statement so that it "sells" you to the admissions committee. Unless you have some highly unusual circumstance that you feel obligated to explain, don't use the PS to apologize for anything in your past. Everything in your PS needs to be very positive. Try to make them want to meet you. Have at least ten people who know you well, read your PS. Be honest but blow your own horn. If you find that you are coming off between DeBakey and Walter Reed, so be it, if you are telling the truth.
Don't forget to make your PS easy to read. After wading through, literally, thousands of applications, the AdComs don't need to or want to work at trying to "get" your message. Make your writing compact but clear. After you are 99% satisfied with your drafts, put your statement away for about a week, pull it out and read it again. If it still makes sense to you, you have finished your task.
Allow plenty of time to get this task done. Don't rush for any reason.
Good luck!
Natalie cool.gif
QUOTE (Runtita @ May 1 2003, 11:42 AM)

As someone who gets recruited often to review and teach people how to write personal statements, I have to tell you that so far, you sound like you're doing fine. I advise people to just write and write when they start. Doesn't need to be cogent, doesn't need to have a direction, but often when you start this way you get a paragraph or a sentence that seems to express exactly what you want to. So, IMO, mental diarrhea is an excellent place to start. Hell, I started a whole website devoted to this process! rolleyes.gif
Speaking of the website, there are *real* personal statements there, if you feel like it would help you, from all kinds of people. Here's the link.
Once you feel like you've gotten to the point where you do have a cogent, directed statement, (and it actually sounds like you're at that point), make sure that it expresses the very best of who you are in an uncomplicated way. I advise staying away from the .50 cent words and the long sentances. This is about communication, not obfuscation. And definitely give it to people who's writing you respect, if only for spelling and grammar correction.
Hope this helps,
Nanon

I think you’re on the right track too…mental diarrhea and all! It’s a very good start. Edit carefully AFTER lots of mental diarrhea on paper and you’ll do fine. That you care a lot is obvious. If you can show “why medicine/why now” (instead of nursing, teaching, or some other “helping profession”) that will strengthen your statement. That might be the intellectual challenge of medicine, being motivated by the patients and doctors you’ve met, or some other thing…details, details, details!
Details? Yup, we like 'em! laugh.gif (Admissions people like 'em too…more memorable wink.gif )
Also keep in mind the space limitations that AMCAS and AACOMAS give you on your application. They differ, so check!
AND please consider applying to Via Virginia COM…I’ll be in the first graduating class and I’d love to have another non-trad w/children there!

QUOTE (njbmd @ May 4 2003, 06:36 PM)
Don't forget to make your PS easy to read. After wading through, literally, thousands of applications, the AdComs don't need to or want to work at trying to "get" your message. Make your writing compact but clear. After you are 99% satisfied with your drafts, put your statement away for about a week, pull it out and read it again. If it still makes sense to you, you have finished your task.
Allow plenty of time to get this task done. Don't rush for any reason.
Good luck!
Natalie cool.gif

Amen, Natalie! :-))
Cheers,
Judy

Wow. The advice here on this forum is amazing! What a truly wonderful resource and network of support!
I too am going through the same thing with the PS. I know that I want to talk about the experiences that led me to this decision, but there are many–which one to talk about? Talk about them all? Some of them are really negative and sad, others are inspiring. I dunno. I'll take you all's advice and just write write write, put it away, come back see what happens. I've got 3 weeks until school starts back, so I hope it's enough time. I really don't want to be dealing with this while I'm taking Physics II!

(I thought you were gonna bring up your prior sexual indiscretions, drug use and nomadic lifestyle, like the rest of us... ).

Dang, so much for what my PS was going to be all about.