From RN to MD?

I guess it’s a bit different for me. When I was an undergrad I was premed, but switched to nursing. Didn’t regret that at the time, loved the “hands-on”, liked having the time with my kids when I was off. When I became a CNM, I was very happy with being an NP. All I wanted to do was take care of pregant women. Didn’t mind doing well-woman GYN. Loved the role where I was able to be with women thruout their labor (which the doctors were not). The family practice doc I worked with (who had been a direct entry midwife before med school) said she thought I would enjoy taking care of other patients (kids, guys) as well, but I wasn’t sure. Later thought about med school just because of frustration in trying to set up a practice on my own and not being able to get a back-up doc. Tried to set up a rural outreach clinic for prenatal care in a county without a provider but needed a doctor…and the problem was, there WASN’T a doctor But wasn’t really interested at that time in expanded scope of practice.

When I kept doing prenatal at the free health clinic, and taught community health nursing, I got more interested in the unmet need for primary care. I also started being frustrated over what I didn’t know. I decided to go to medical school when I wanted to be able to take care of the whole family, and a wanted to acquire the more in-depth knowledge to handle a few “zebras” as well as common health problems. Wish that had happened before I turned 50 But, persevering!

Kate

Actually, I knew during my first year in nursing that nursing is not what I’m meant to be doing with my life. Paradoxically, I was very good at it and the patients loved me. I thought about going back to school to do the med school pre reqs long before now, but I kept putting it off. After I started working in ICU I began to hear it over and over again, from some of the docs I worked with and even from many of the patients: “you should go back to school and be a doctor…”. If only they knew how much I was thinking that same thing!

I thought that becoming an NP would be a good alternative, but it won’t be. At least, not for me. I’ve invested a lot of time and money into this NP program and I used to think of it as a waste, but I now realize that it is excellent foundational prep for the stuff I will see again in med school.

Thanks for all the insight everyone, and big thank you to Liza for taking the time to speak with me! It’s amazing how difficult it can be to talk about yourself, especially the specifics about what motivates your passion for something - mostly because it’s extremely personal. I have started to collate all of my information, including creating an space to keep it all organized. Please continue to share your stories to a) find camaraderie with something that can seem very isolating and b) bounce ideas off of each other - kind of like a therapy group! Speaking of therapy groups, I was thinking about forming a book club to read all of the books suggest by Wikipremed.com. Anyone interested? We could Skype or something.

I feel your pain. I have been practicing as an NP for the past 7 years and I cannot seem to relinquish my dream of becoming an MD. Best of luck to all of us.

• andrzej Said:
Hello,

I was also a nurse ( LPN ) and worked for few years in long term care. I was also thinking about doing PA or NP but in the end I ended up in DO school and I love it. Just five more weeks and I will be OMS-2.

I am 33. To be honest sometimes I still think at times that maybe I should switch to PA but this only happens when I have to study really hard for few days and physically my body gives up. But later after the exam ( and few beers ) I get my motivation back. Being a nurse will really help U. for example right now we have pharmacology and microbiology and in pharm so far (ANS and CNS) I saw ( was giving to patients ) 90% of drugs. so I do not have to learn the names, only side effects , and some other actions. Also, when interacting with patients (actors) I do not get so nervous because I used to do many assessments before. Right now it is more detailed and there is more time pressure. So take Ur time and make sure U have good grades in the post back and U can definitely do it . Good luck. and if U have nay questions I ( or many other former nurses) will for sure answer it.

Andrew Z.

Your post just made my day! Its nice to see that somebody was or is walking on the same path like me. I am an LVN in CA. I was also debating for the longest time whether to just go ahead and do my NP which is faster and bit easier than med school. But becoming an MD is what my heart is shouting for. Its not like I dislike being a nurse, I would not trade it with any other career, I just always picture myself as an MD and doing what I really love to do.

I am 31 years old and right now I’m taking my science classes as well as gen eds to transfer to uni. I know that this is going to be a looong and hard process but I am all for it! I currently work 52 hrs/week as an LVN in a skilled nursing facility and outpatient clinic during the week while taking 3 classes at night and weekend, but comes fall, I just decided to work part time on the weekend so I can focus on my math and science. I do have family, husband and two kids 4 & 9 both girls. Hopefully, everything goes as I planned it. I created a timeline for myself starting from Gen-ed classes to prereqs, to premed, med school and residency. By the time all these are done I’ll be on my early 40s maybe 42. But I figured I will be forty anyways so might as well be 40 and achieve my dream and have the ability to provide a good future for my kids. I grew up in a different foster parents/caregiver (relatives) and life was very hard growing up. I sent myself to high school and worked my way up to college (although I dropped out). What I’m saying is, I think I have some sort of an idea what “hard” life is about, and I know how to get pass through it (done it couple times). Like I said, its gonna be a long process but a bottle of beer will help me get through it. (no I won’t be an alcoholic at the end).

Cheers!! Life is good..

Comments are welcome…

jjsummer, you are 29! And an NP already! You have all the time and the means in the world to do that. I’m 38 and RN with associates degree. I was suppose to start BSN program this month but backed out at the last minute. Instead registered for some science classes for fall semester at my community college. If not I’ll always think that I never gave my self a chance to try. Besides I have no interest studying the nature of nursing theories along with leadership and management. I’m kind of upset right now whether I’ve made a right decision this doctors thing scares the shit out of me. I’ve decided that I have to start with sciences and just do it and see where life will take me. I can finish my BSN 300 years from now if I want to. Good luck and thanks for reading my reply.

Thank you Andrew!

Very encouraging words. Congrats on the pending graduation, I wish you well!

-Kailyn

Hi, I’m so new at this However, I know what you mean. I’m 40, an a LVN, and when I tell people that I have always wanted to go to Med School since before I could remeber. They look with disbelief and tell me to go to go to school for my RN and do the ARNP. I really thought about that route but I don’t think I would be satisfied. so I stop telling people what my true desires to attend Med school.

@Nurse Med way to go I have been encouraged by your story i’m currently a lvn in Texas I have my BS. I need a couple of more science classes (68) my bio1 starts on the 6 of June.