Getting a major or having relevant coursework?

Hi folks.

I go to a smaller university with very few options for science majors. I’ll be doing a minor in chemistry (since there is no major option)and I am looking at a major in psychology with a focus on biological psych. If I go with the major in psychology some of the courses won’t be as relevant to medicine as they could be, but I will achieve a major. On the other hand, if I just went with a BSc minor I will also be able to take courses specifically related to medicine such as Anatomy which is part of the BSc Nursing curriculum.

In short, I can take courses that are much more relevant to medicine, but I won’t get a major.

What would you do?

Is there any reason why you can’t take the other courses and get the psy major?

There are quite a few PM at my school with a psych major.

Unfortunately no. I spent the first year doing half load because I was also working on the grade 12 prereqs for physics, bio and chem (the joys of going back to school after 15 years).

In order to get the required med school (and MCAT) prereqs for chem, bio, biochem, and physics along with the psych major I have no room left for other electives.

• islander2010 Said:
In order to get the required med school (and MCAT) prereqs for chem, bio, biochem, and physics along with the psych major I have no room left for other electives.

When you say no room I read it as "no time" - there's no law that says you have to complete your process in the 'normal' time span as others. I took five years, including 4 summers, to complete my "4 year" degree.

Or am I making an incorrect assumption here?

Med school requires 90 credits (at least the 4 schools I am applying to) but I will have ~127 and a degree - thus far with a 4.0GPA. If I don’t have to spend an additional year as a starving student I am not going to. We all have our priorities. Mine is to get on with life and a family.

So…any thoughts on the actual question? Would you go with a major, or a general BSc with a focus on courses more relevant to medicine? I’d like to hear your thoughts.

• islander2010 Said:
Med school requires 90 credits (at least the 4 schools I am applying to) but I will have ~127 and a degree - thus far with a 4.0GPA. If I don't have to spend an additional year as a starving student I am not going to. We all have our priorities. Mine is to get on with life and a family.

So....any thoughts on the actual question? Would you go with a major, or a general BSc with a focus on courses more relevant to medicine? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

There is no need to have a major with overly relevant to medicine as long as you have the required prereqs for your schools. You can major in anything, music, history, etc,

With your screen name of islander, looking at BSc, and only considering 4 schools, where are you located?

From what I’ve gathered, there is actually some benefit to having a non-science degree (assuming you nail the pre-reqs, of course). Adcoms are becoming more and more interested in well-rounded and interesting candidates and they may have the perception that a non-science major could fill that role. At the very least, I’ve seen nothing that would indicate it would be in any way seen as a negative.

• islander2010 Said:
Med school requires 90 credits (at least the 4 schools I am applying to) but I will have ~127 and a degree - thus far with a 4.0GPA.

Be careful with this assumption - they may state the minimum requirement is 90 credits, it's fairly rare that schools accept people without degrees. I would call the four schools you are applying to and talk with them. Not saying it's impossible (I do actually know someone who got into vet school without a degree, also a rarity) but it is pretty uncommon.

I’d take the courses I loved, and not care if I had a ‘major’ or not.

While some classes ‘help’ for medical school, you will still be learning all you need to know in your first 2 years. Though courses in anatomy, physiology, genetics, and biochem help smooth your way through the MCAT and 1st and 2nd year course work, they are not necessary.

So really, if the only classes that excite you are in Peruvian poetry, Take those. After you have completed your pre-reqs of course.