GOT MY SCORES!!!!!!

• gabelerman Said:
I am a very happy man tonight!!!! All of my hard work in studying and practicing since the August 05 test paid off!!!!

Aug05: PS:6, BS:9, VR:7

Apr06: PS:10, BS:10, VR:9

woo hoo

Gabe --

Superb job. The improvement is impressive and will no doubt help to demonstrate your resolve to become a physician.

Kasia --

You got a great score; people get in with all kinds of scores so don't lose hope.

As for myself, I ended up with a 30R (11V 9P 10B). I scored lower than my best Kaplan practices, especially verbal, but I can't complain too much and I'm going to submit my applications in the next few days.

I'm in Oklahoma this week and visited the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association in Okla. City yesterday and spoke with some very nice people who were very encouraging; today I'm driving up to Tulsa to visit OSU COM. Getting excited!

Congratulations to everyone who took the test, regardless of your score, and good luck!

Hey Carey. First I’d like to say to try not to get too down on yourself–the MCAT is a snapshot in time and really shows how you test on a certain date under certain conditions, etc.

Second, your score is within the range of accepted students to DO programs, which works out nicely with your background and your interest.

My advice would be real similar to Kasia’s. Take a step back and give yourself a couple of days to work through it. Then register for the August MCAT and complete your applications saying that you’ll be taking the August MCAT.

You will have a distinct advantage in preparing for the August MCAT over the April in that you now have a test behind you and better understand the testing conditions and how you’ll respond in them. I believe in an earlier post you said that you were taking the Kaplan review course. I would also encourage you to go through the Examkrackers materials, and if you’re able, to also go through the Hyperlearning materials from the Princeton Review if you’ve got any friends who have taken that review course. I found those to be excellent, not only for the material covered, but more for the descriptions of why answers were correct or incorrect.

Finally, attempt to determine what’s holding you back from getting the scores in the upper 20’s or 30+. It sounds like you probably have the knowledge base, but that applying that knowledge base to the way the MCAT tests is giving you some problems. If you agree with this, the Hyperlearning will be extremely helpful to you. That and doing as many possible tests and passages as you can will make a boatload of difference for you. Really study the explanation of the answers as you go through the practice passages to get a feel for how to go about solving the problems. Examkrackers has some excellent supplements (1001 Passages in …) that you can purchase or may be able to find in your local library. Heck, if nothing else, sit in Barnes and Noble or Borders and do the passages in a notebook–forces you to have a higher degree of concentration and saves you $$.

After a few days, if you still feel that you don’t have it in you to take the August MCAT, then go ahead and apply and see what happens. The worst that could happen is that you’re not accepted this go around, retake the MCAT sometime next year and reapply. Motivation will be key for you as you prepare for the August MCAT–you’ll want to go into the exam with the highest degree of confidence–it can make all the difference in the world!

Best of luck in your decision, whatever it may be!

THanks so much for all of your advice and time! I really appreciate the words of wisdom and actually feel better today after a long and depressing day yesterday! I think you are right and I am still working up to steeling myself to take the test again, and I know I should do it. I’m not sure if I will ever do much better on PS, I just have not been able to break a 7 - mostly because of physics. But honestly, my main problem was always running out of time, even after timing myself on at least 6 full length practice tests. Kaplan definitely helped, but by the time we got done with that last Sat. practice test, I was exhausted, so I think it was overkill for me! I ended up doing worse on the real test time-wise than I had on my practice tests - but that was partly the anxiety and tiredness, so at least next time I will not have that same issue since I do know what to expect. I am going to shadow a DO in the next couple of weeks who used to be on the admissions committee at the Texas school and I think I will ask her what she thinks as far as how my overall presentation looks at this point.

I also have to continue to trust this whole process as it has seemed that the Universe is working it for me, because despite the obstacles, everything has unfolded very nicely, getting some great contacts for docs, having a wonderful clinical volunteer opportunity, getting way better grades than I ever thought I could, etc. so I will get up, dust my pride off, and live to ride another day!

BTW, anyone who is coming to KCUMB here in KC, I hope you will please email me and introduce your self - I’d love to meet and chat, or if you need any help in your move to the area, information, etc. I will be happy to do what I can!

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to answer my desperate plea!

Blessings,

Carey

Thanks so much for your thoughts - I saw from before about your impressive coup of getting accepted with a low MCAT score and believe me I have taken it to heart - it has given me much hope that its possible! I did not realize you were coming to school here in KC though - that’s really great!

This was originally the only school I wanted to go to, for various reasons, but I have decided to apply to 5 schools, with KCUMB and KCOM as my top choices. Please send me a private email when you get here, or if you do need any info or help with getting settled, let me know. Hopefully, you can be a great 2nd year guide for me next year when I start!

Blessings,

Carey

HI Larry,

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I agree with everything and I will take it all to heart! The big problem for me is I am not good at taking standardized tests, particularly when they are timed like that, and the MCAT is so broad in the knowlege that you have to pull from. I think I will have no problems with doing the boards, etc. because those are specific to all the things I am really interested and passionate about, whereas, okay I will admit it, I really DON’T LIKE Physics! I just lose focus and bail on many of those dry passages and it bites me in the ***. Thanks again and I will keep plugging away!

Blesings,

Carey

• Carey Said:
Thanks so much for your thoughts - I saw from before about your impressive coup of getting accepted with a low MCAT score and believe me I have taken it to heart - it has given me much hope that its possible! I did not realize you were coming to school here in KC though - that's really great!

This was originally the only school I wanted to go to, for various reasons, but I have decided to apply to 5 schools, with KCUMB and KCOM as my top choices. Please send me a private email when you get here, or if you do need any info or help with getting settled, let me know. Hopefully, you can be a great 2nd year guide for me next year when I start!

Blessings,

Carey

GO KCOM!!! That is my alma mater! Class of 2003

Congratulations!!!

• tiha Said:
Congratulations!!!

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

Sorry, I didn’t pay attention to the date - still learning !

Good job!

Thanks!

Mary, you are an inspiration to me. I’m currently a registered nurse. I’m 26 yo and i’m about to start my post bacc premed in the summer 2010, I want to for internal medicine - possibly specialize in cardiology…tell me how to keep the intimidation of so much science out of my head.

• enante1129 Said:
Mary, you are an inspiration to me. I'm currently a registered nurse. I'm 26 yo and i'm about to start my post bacc premed in the summer 2010, I want to for internal medicine - possibly specialize in cardiology...tell me how to keep the intimidation of so much science out of my head.

For me, it was all about understanding it so it makes sense. That doesn't always work - some things (bugs and drugs come to mind) are just bulk memorization, but a lot of it has a reason behind it if you care to figure it out. That was the only way I could get it to stick.

Good luck!