Greetings!!

Greetings,
I feel home. And there are a range of emotions that I’ve experienced since browsing the OPM posts for the past few days. You mean, it’s not too late for me? I can still make this happen with a “checkered past”? With kids? I’m making my debut post and hope to integrate within the OPM family.
I’ve recently divorced and as a pre-med single father of 2, I’m rededicating myself to pursuing medical school after a 5 year hiatus. I feel as rusty as an old can of nails, but I’m ready to bottle up my fears and go for it. Well…at the ripe young age of 30, maybe not an old can, tongue.gif.
I would like to take a moment to encourage anyone who will read this post to press through whatever difficult times bring. There is simply too much evidence in this dicussion group of warriors, who have succeeded - making a way out of no way. I salute you, fellow OPMers, and congratulate you in advance for staying the course and reaching the finish line.
Like more people than I would have imagined - I am also in the IT field, aspiring to become a physician. I’ve completed my prereqs, but haven’t taken a science class in 5 years. I’ve just changed my schedule to 2nd shift to take a couple of classes this Fall and get back into the pre-med swing. I look forward to sharing my story with the group as things get cooking. With 5 courses left to complete my BIS degree, my plan is to focus on completing my non-science (Classical Studies) degree major first. Then I’ll do a year or two of post bach in sciences to bolster my science GPA (~2.6 currently unsure.gif ) and start prepping for the April 2005 MCAT. I will apply to 15-20 schools and the Morehouse School of Medicine (Saralane you rock!) summer program as suggested by the dean of admissions there. MSOM is my first choice and I’m especially pumped after watching my cousin graduate there last month and head to Harvard for her internship.
Rock on, OPM!

Hi Devan,
Welcome to the group! The degree in Classical Studies sounds so interesting. Take your time with your pre-med classes. You have lots of time and Non-Traditional applicants are in so enjoy your learning and enjoy the process of getting on with your medical career. Before you know it, you will be applying and awaiting that letter in the mail.
Let us know how you are doing. You know that you can find plenty of support around here! OPM has some of the nicest people on the planet. Don’t forget to mark your calendar for the OPM Convention in Denver next June. There is so much valuable information that you can pick up for the price of an airline ticket. The Admissions presentations were outstanding at the DC Convention and will only get better though I don’t know how Lori, David and Judy can top DC.
Natalie smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome, Natalie! I think it’s awesome that despite your hectic schedule, you and other doctors/med students are able to give back to this forum. I’m already planning my trip to Denver next summer and really feel inspired. Major in Classical Studies? Well, who knew that when I made the decision to study Latin/Greek in 8th grade that a love affair would begin? I’ve always wanted to be a physician though, despite repeated attempts by undergraduate major advisors to emphazise the dire need for Latin teachers. I was awarded a full scholarship to attend UGA out of high school, contingent upon my majoring in Classics. If only I recognized how immature I was and how few studies skills I had… mad.gif
I wouldn’t for a moment trade my journey of personal growth and development for a “scenario as planned.” Yet I realize that despite progresses I’ve made, I’ve got a lot more learning to do. I know at least that I can do orgo, think in physics, and memorize biology (not without much effort, though). Part of me fears (I know, I know…gotta get that word out of my vocab) that I will have to learn these lessons all over again, but I have 5 more years of “life lived” to assist me. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve gone through phases of feeling like I couldn’t understand certain sciences, if my life depended on it - to finally, seeing the light and connecting with say, organic chem. I don’t have to be a genius, who can sit in class all day, absorb lecture, not study and ace tests. I can “blue collar” it and know that I know that I understand this stuff, even if it takes me 4 hours a day of meditating on certain concepts. It’s just a thrilling battle, that can turn depressing and tramatizing when “F” appears on a transcript; or can turn into an enlightning epiphany when you finally conquer that science demon (aka, physics) and impose your will on it.
Well, as our creed so eloquently states: "…The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”
Gosh, I just love that “gladiator” attitude…I’m thankful that my mom made me memorize this gem from Teddy R., when I was in high school.

Devan,
We are honored w/ your compliments! In my humble opinon, those who enter medicinefor the right reasons should feel compelled to give back to their profession in what ever manners in which they can. Right now, since most all of the physicians on here are residents or newly out residency, time & expertise is the best that we have to offer. So, I give of it as freely as I am able.
Just an aside for you own interest & hopeful benefit…OldPreMeds first officially sanctioned university chapter is at GA State. As best as I can surmise from your sig file, that is where you attend, correct? YOu should seek out Christina Johnson, the current local chapter President and founder of the GA State chapter.
Lastly, welcome to OldPreMeds!! We all look forward to watching your story unfold & wish the utmost of luck & success on your journey. Feel free to respond w/ loads of questions!

Welcome!

Hey Devan,
Welcome aboard. You sound just like I felt when I found OPM. Good luck.

Hey Damon,
How far along are you? I appreciate the welcome. This is a magnificent ship and I anticipate the ride ahead with a reverential fear…
Dave, I will definitely try to find Christina J and the GSU chapter of OldPreMeds! It’s not surprising that GSU would be affiliated. Yes I currently attend and will resume classes this Fall after a 5 year break…Seeing that I’m targeting the 2005 cycle, I wonder if I’ll have to retake some pre-reqs ohmy.gif …well, I’ll get those answers in due time, I just need to be patient and not try to rush things too much. In my former academic life I was notorious for overloading myself and getting burned out…I’ve slowly learned to be patient though and I’m looking forward to next semester.
Cheers,

Nice to meet you Devan.
I'm pretty new here too but have found a lot of helpful information and helpful people in this group. I'll be applying next year for the 2005 entering class. I'm also taking the pre-reqs now and found that it is a lot easier this time around because I feel more focused and actually want to learn this stuff. I may sound like the biggest dork right now, but I actually crave the studying and tests and homeworks, etc.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in this process!

Nice to meet ya too, jenn9237! You don’t “sound like the biggest dork” to me…actually, you sound like a future physician! I’ll see you in the med school graduating class of 2009! (well, I’ll be right behind ya rolleyes.gif )

Welcome Devon! OPM is a great group. Glad you found it! It’s nice to see another Classicist here smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif I majored in journalism but minored in Ancient Greek. I’m pre-pre-med and am just starting my prereqs so I have a long way to go, but it’s great to have the support of OPM behind you.
Welcome again.
Love,
Stacy

Devan,
I have completed a bachelors and masters degree some time ago with mediocre (3.0) grades. This past fall and spring I completed general chem and general biology (Aced all of them wink.gif ). The plan for this coming fall and spring is organic chem, physics, MCAT review, and MCAT (April 2004). Then, with a lot of luck, med school fall 2005.
Talk to you later.

Hi Stacy, gratias ago tibi biggrin.gif …I’m not that fluent in Greek yet… cool.gif …anyways, I can remember the ochem class I took 5 years ago, like it was yesterday! Tempus fugit (time flies). Soon, very soon, you’ll be figuring out how to synthesize 1,2-di-methyl-oxy-@$%^&& ohmy.gif
Good luck,
BTW, have you studied any Greek literature? Sometimes I’m not so sure a background in Greek/Latin gives us that superior of an advantage in medical terminology, etc…Don’t get me wrong, we can obviously see derivatives, but most non-classicists are too caught up in that “it’s Greek to me” mentality and get a mental block when they see big words…well, that’s just my opinion…

Damon, while a 3.0 may seem “mediocre”, it’s sounds like you’ve got a great shot in 2005. I’m still trying to get to mediocre laugh.gif

Well, we will see if the Greek/Latin helps or not! I would think it would…medical terminology should be easier but we’ll see. As for me, I am so far down in the process. I’ll be taking PreCalculus this fall and next spring at my local community college, and then I’ll apply to full-time post-bacc programs. I’d like to quit my job and do the pre-med thing full time. I haven’t taken any science classes yet…unless you count high school! Oh, well, I did take Chem 101 more recently as a refresher. I won’t be applying to med school for several more years…sad.gifsad.gif
Love,
Stacy

Welcome, Devan! smile.gif I’m another parent (mom) of 2 kids who will/might/whatever be starting med school at the ripe old age of 32 if/when I gain admission. I’m aiming for 2004.

Devan,
Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Keep putting one foot and front of the other and you will get to where you want to go sooner or later.