Hanging out in Purgatory....

Hi I’m Mike, a non-trad. I’ve been reading OPM post for the last 18 months as I drag through the medschool app process. The posts are extremely encouraging. If anyone can give me advice, someone on this page may be able to comment.

Short story: I worked in environmental consulting (primarily pub health stuff, drinking water,etc.) for 15 years. I went to college part-time and worked full-time. Later, I transferred to Ohio University-got better grades-got married-dropped out-got divorced-worked 6 more years-the company went BR-so I returned to OU to finish and pursue something more fulfilling. I volunteered at a local free clinic and shadowed a surgeon and a GP.

The goal was pursuing a childhood dream of becoming a physician. I had already completed the pre-reqs early in college, so the obvious next step was to complete a BS degree. I also took the MCAT cold after not being in the classroom for more than 12 years-I know dumb-I got a 21P PS8,VR7,BS6. So I completed the degree I was closest to, BS-Industrial Hygiene and picked up a double major w/ a BS-Env. Health. I graduated with a 3.51, though AACOMAS has my aggregates lifetime as 3.28 science and 3.3 overall. The obvious path isn’t that interesting to me, but I’m perfect for Occupational/environmenta l medicine with this undergrad configuration.

AMCAS is obviously lower in the BCPM because they don’t consider a course like radiological hazards as a science course (haha). Apparently, its fine just to know what an X-ray is-not how to shield for it, calculating human dose/response curves, indications of over-exposure, etc. They also seem to select some scores to count in the average and some not. Like I took 2 Calculus classes (B+,A) and only the B+ got counted?!?!

Anyway, I used all my electives in biological sciences, and retook the AUG 2006 MCAT/27-O/PS 9 VR 9 BS 9. Got interviewed and waitlisted at Ohio U-COM and Marshall University. Today I got my decline letter from Marshall.

I’m told the reason I got waitlisted at OU was that some of my science courses were kinda old, though my interviewers commented they thought I would make an excellent doctor. They asked me to take Immunology (graduate level) and Physiology (undergrad) to strengthen my application, as 1st years here do very poorly in the immunology/blood block. I think I’m going to get a B in both, but I feel that this isn’t sufficient for the admissions committee. Does any of this sound like I’m getting the runaround and wasting my time or just panicking???

I’m told getting interviewed is a huge step, but I tend to be a bottom line kind of guy-acceptance is the only result worth acknowledging, and the only marker of success. I’m not in this to get some interviews and be happy with that.

I forgot to mention I’m 38 y.o. Though I’m told I don’t look my age at all, I side with Indiana Jones on this topic: “Its not the years, it’s the mileage.” At this point if I don’t get in I’ve got to get a job/life because I feel extremely isolated and alone in a college town with no real peers other than professors. Its weird hanging out with people so much younger than me-everywhere I go, I feel like they’re whispering “Who brought their Dad?” Consequently, I can forget about dating! (LOL)

Any comments about my chances of getting in, what to do regarding a retake on the MCAT (I’m even stronger now in BS), retake some science classes, pursue a MPH and reapply when I’m 40?, applying next year, stop panicking, etc. would be helpful.

Put on a full-court press NOW (I am watching the NCAAs as I write) and tell Ohio how you are doing and how much you want to go there. The big waitlist movement will occur May 15 - that’s when those holding multiple acceptances have to tell schools what they’ve decided, and spots start opening up.

Call them / write them / get your current profs to send a quick note singing your praises. IT IS NOT TOO LATE. You are holding the next best thing to an acceptance: your waitlist position tells you that a school of medicine finds you acceptable for their class. It’s time to start selling!!!

Mary

who spent from October 22, 1999 until May 18, 2000 on the waitlist at GWU

I spoke with the assistant director of admissions at Marshall today for over an hour. She told me that I received very high marks from my interviews, as did the group at Ohio U. But their concern is that I have not demonstrated the ability to handle a full load of science courses at once. I was asked by OU to take Human Physiology(undergrad) and Immunology (grad) this past QTR. I had one test score in Phys that took me from a B+ to a C+…gota B in immunology…but the C+ is NOT going to impress the admissions committee, I don’t think.

The lady at Marshall told me I could take more grad science courses, or retake the MCAT. She thought that if I could get double digits in BS on the MCAT, this may be more persuasive. I’m not intimidated by the MCAT at all, and I think I can score even better, thanks to physiology. Though I got a C+ in the class, I learned alot and saw alot of material that I had seen on the MCAT last Fall. I don’t know…Maybe I should go offshore or something. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanx…Mike

Wait until you’ve gone an app cycle or 2 in the US. The carib is no joke. Do what they schools recommend. A friend of mine did and proved to the school he was “worthy”. They didn’t accept him but the next app cycle he got 3 acceptance letters.

Hi Miguel!

Believe me, I can identify! I am known around these parts as the Mayor of Wait-List City. I have been wait-listed this year at Mt. Sinai and SUNY-Buffalo, was wait-listed last year, also at Mt. Sinai and SUNY-Stony Brook. It’s a nerve-wracking position; last year, I physically went back to the schools, tried to plead my case in writing as well. Last year, I was really upset and felt that there simply were no acceptances out there, which is illogical I know! This year, I’m very calm and accepting about the whole thing. I don’t plan to apply a third time, but I am going to “gently press” for admission at these places and see what happens. After all, it is obvious that Mt. Sinai has a lot of interest in me, and I love that place. And if med school doesn’t come through, I will find something else to do with my life, a Plan C. A friend told me, “Hay muchos camiños a la felicidad, ¡hasta el Z!” While I don’t plan to keep trying all the way to Z, it did put things in philosophical perspective.

Lots of hugs to everyone from São Paulo! Autumn is starting here, the days are getting short, and so is my time here! Will be back in New York City Memorial Day weekend.

Matt

Hey Matt–

I’ll be thinking good thoughts for you. Good to hear that you’re keeping it in perspective, and if you’ve got to be on a waitlist, it seems like Brazil is a pretty good place to be while on it.

Good luck!

j

I’m in the same boat as you guyz! So far I’m on two wait lists + still don’t know anything about VCU. When I log into my account it says that 3/15 offers have been made and if we haven’t heard anything, we should be patient and wait for further notice (we’re supposed to be notified mid-week this week). I guess if I don’t hear anything unitl mid-week next week I’ll call them and see what’s going on. I called EVMS couple of times and I was told that I’m in the upper third of the wait list, and have to be patient. Statistically I should be accepted there, but I won’t be sure unitl I’m in. Penn State would not tell me anything about the status of my application. Therefore I’m not expecting to be accepted there.

Anyway, I’m sure that if I don’t get in this year it’s because of my MCAT score. I’ve already decided that as soon as I’m done with school at the beginning of May, I’m going to start reviewing for August MCAT and I’ll reapply again. Hopefully I’ll get some good news before…

Kasia

VCU is in some kind of strange organizational meltdown this year. But they did send me a very sweet message today:

Application Status

Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

Matt, hopefully you’ll get to Mt. Sinai or to SUNY Buffalo! I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers (next to myself )!

I got an e-mail from VCU yesterday, saying that I’m on their waitlist! So for now I’m on 3 waitlists, and hopefully one of them will be lucky :). I’m going to send them a nice letter next week + maybe get someone in Walter Reed’s where I’m doing my research internship right now, to write a recommendation letter for me and mail it to VCU and EVMS.

Trying to stay calm and patient, Kasia

I just got waitlisted at Rochester! I’m as happy as can be believe it or not, because I interviewed with REALLY QUALIFIED students, all kinds of Harvard degrees and research fellowhips and such, and no school that prestigious has ever shown such interest in me before.

So my work is cut out for me the rest of this week-- I am on a kick to produce interesting, detailed, single-page letters to my wait-list schools and have my parents mail them from Virginia-- Brazilian mail takes two weeks, which I do not have.

I feel like one of the three should come through, but am trying not to get ahead of myself with excitement! For those tracking at home, of my interview schools:

SUNY-Buffalo: waitlist

Mt. Sinai: waitlist

Univ. of Rochester: waitlist

Tulane Univ.: undecided

To Kasia and everyone else who’s waiting, the spring should be a time of hope for us all. Fingers and toes are crossed.

Hey Matt,

I just wanted to wish you the best…you’ve got a great attitude, and I definitely see you attending one of the three schools this fall.

My fingers are crossed!

Kris

Matt, I am thrilled to hear this! I just gotta believe that this is going to work out for you this year.

Mary

Sorry I’ve been SUCH a slacker about posting-I got a very late interview at WVSOM, and it went very well! Got waitlisted there too, but then I get this really cool email. They went ahead and gave me admissions for 2008, because they don’t know how much movement they will have on the waitlist. I’m still on the waitlist for positions at OU-COM and WVSOM for this year, but at the very least I’m in next year and I don’t have to do the AACOMAS primary again! I also got a letter from OU-COM telling me to get my immunizations up to date, because of my position on the waitlist. SO I’m almost done with those except I need 2 more Hep B’s. BTW, Mary YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. I sent a letter restating my extreme interest in both programs, and the acceptance came right on the heels of that letter! Sad to say I interviewed at WVSOM on the day of the tragedy at VA TECH, which was about 60 miles away. I’m so glad this site is here, and so glad I finally posted my story. For those of you who are new to the site or are just reading to get a feel how this process works, pay close attention to what these veterans say-like MaryRenard, OldmanDave, MadKasia, etc. They ought to be admissions counselors, they know so much about the process!

congratulations!!! Now sit back and enjoy the next year.

Gabe

• SanJuanMiguel Said:
Sorry I've been SUCH a slacker about posting-I got a very late interview at WVSOM, and it went very well! Got waitlisted there too, but then I get this really cool email. They went ahead and gave me admissions for 2008, because they don't know how much movement they will have on the waitlist. I'm still on the waitlist for positions at OU-COM and WVSOM for this year, but at the very least I'm in next year and I don't have to do the AACOMAS primary again! I also got a letter from OU-COM telling me to get my immunizations up to date, because of my position on the waitlist. SO I'm almost done with those except I need 2 more Hep B's. BTW, Mary YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. I sent a letter restating my extreme interest in both programs, and the acceptance came right on the heels of that letter! Sad to say I interviewed at WVSOM on the day of the tragedy at VA TECH, which was about 60 miles away. I'm so glad this site is here, and so glad I finally posted my story. For those of you who are new to the site or are just reading to get a feel how this process works, pay close attention to what these veterans say-like MaryRenard, OldmanDave, MadKasia, etc. They ought to be admissions counselors, they know so much about the process!

CONGRATS! And thank you for your kind words. We all love what we do here & we do it because we enjoy it. It sure as hell isn't for the $$!!

Hi all,

I haven’t been great about posting specifics…I was accepted to a DO school nearby in October. The location is great because I wouldn’t have to move, but I really did not LOVE the school. I just didn’t like the vibe or atmosphere at all. I still may go there and try to make the most of it.

I am also on a high-tier waitlist at an MD state school that is about 250 miles away give or take…I was told by the wonderful dean of admissions that I was looking at eventual acceptance in mid-June and have officially heard word that I am in the top 5 people of the waitlist. I’m very excited…loved this school’s supportive and fostering atmosphere! I would have to move first on my own and have my hubby follow (after he works out arrangement with his employer to work out two offices).