Health and self-care

Hi everyone! I am in my second semester of going back and getting my prereqs after seven years of being a crisis mental health therapist. I am taking Bio II and Lab and Inorganic Chem and Lab along with working full time. I get up at 3:30 in the morning to start work at 4:30 am so that I can get off in time to take classes and actually see my family during the afternoon/evening. I have never been in the best of shape, but I have completed 10 half marathons and generally enjoy working out. However, I have not really been able to work out since the beginning of June, due to wanting to make sure that I am getting “A’s” in all of my classes. I know I have gained weight over the last few months, which has bothered me greatly, but I just also feel very “blah.” So my question is, how does everyone physically take care of themselves? In balancing full time school, classwork, homework, and attempting to spend time with my husband and children, that is one of the things that I have had to let slide. I have attempted to utilize my family in working out, but my children are young and my husband is not at the same athletic level that I am, so the exercises that help me maintain, they are not able to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, super difficult! I’m not so much trying to get back into my former “shape” as much as I’m trying to maintain what I’ve got or slow progression to blah. I don’t get to work out anywhere close to what I’d like to (maybe run once every 2-3 weeks normally now). My primary mode of control is through my diet (it helps that I have a pretty high metabolism). I try to limit my boredom/study snacking and eat relatively healthy meals. If my studying involves reviewing slides or reading, I try to hop up on my recumbent bike and at least get some blood flowing even though its very low intensity. I also try to stretch before bed most nights. I carve out 4:30ish-8ish for family time unless I have something majorly pressing and my wife lets me do what I need to do.

I guess the bottom line for me is sacrificing sleep in order to work out/have alone leisure time. Not ideal but it’s the hand we’ve chosen to play. I wish I had a better answer and would love to hear what everyone else does.

The ONLY way I get regularly exercise is by using public transportation everyday (I live downtown), anywhere from half mile to a mile of vigorous walking, 5 days/week.

In fact, I rarely drive primarily because maintaining a certain weight is such a struggle.

The ONLY way I get regularly exercise is by using public transportation everyday (I live downtown), anywhere from half mile to a mile of vigorous walking, 5 days/week.

In fact, I rarely drive primarily because maintaining a certain weight is such a struggle.