Hello everyone!

Hello there! New member and wanted to properly introduce myself.

My name is Amber and I’m from Texas. A Literature major with a career in teaching high school English, I believe, secures my status as a nontraditional student. I’m applying to medical school within my state (with a few outside) and have a vested interest in global/tropical medicine. While in college, I worked in an occupational clinic and enjoyed it thoroughly. After graduation, I went into education and worked with under-served populations at an urban, Title I school. My fascination with medicine and science was always there, despite my background in the humanities. I was the English teacher in our school’s medical pathway. Around my second year of teaching I decided to reevaluate my life plan, since I had finally reached a place of clarity, and knew that medical school was it. It all started from a conversation with friends. Someone asked, “What fact-of-life really bothers you?” and he had assumed this would launch into a tirade about education (as it often does with a group of teachers), but my answer revolved around the inequity of medical care for underprivileged populations. I had seen this in my students, had experienced it myself growing up in a lower class family, and had recently read an article about issues with access to vaccines. I couldn’t get it out of my head. Practicing what I preached as a teacher, I followed my gut, researched topics, and felt inclined to do something about it. Of course, I felt the same fear of being older and needing 1-2 years worth of school that most non-trad students do, but I decided to do it anyway. That was almost a year and a half ago and now I’m only 3 credits away from fulfilling my premed prereqs.

I’m excited to join this community - the need for support in this process is undeniable. Happy to be here and looking forward to gaining some friends in the process!

-Amber

Welcome! Congrats on almost being done with the prereqs! Let us know if we can help.

Thank you :slight_smile: will do!

Welcome and good luck!