Hello, I'm Jeff and sort of old...

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I’ll be attending the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD this fall. For the last 7 years I’ve been serving as an active duty officer in the US Army, and attending USUHS will pretty much guarantee that I’ll serve for the next 15 (service obligation is the price of free tuition).
I am married w/ no kids, although we have a greyhound named Luther and a mutt named Buddy. My wife, Kim, will start her master’s work at GWU this fall, so we’ll get to be poor students together :0.
I am currently a medical technologist and chief of the clinical laboratory at Fort Leavenworth, KS. I’ve been here for three years (the longest I’ve spent in one job), so letting go of my lab and my employees will be a little tough. Letting go of the money will be a little tougher. However, I’m extremely excited about starting med school, as long as I don’t think too much about how old I’ll be once I’m residency trained :( .

Hi Captain America!
Welcome and congratulations on your recent acceptance to medical school. As far as being ‘old’ goes, I try not to think about it too much. ;) I’ve been married 16 years, I have two kids, and I figure I’m going into medical school with fewer distractions than I would have had in my twenties. Some of the big questions in my life have already been answered concerning marriage and family. Also, I’m a heck of a lot less intimidated in a professional setting than I used to be. At this point in my life, pursuing medicine really feels like a choice; I’m not doing it because I HAVE to ‘get’ a career.

Hi Jeff,
You’re not old - you’ve got the distinct advantage of life experience. And besides from my perspective you are not old at all - my second child will receive his commission as a naval officer two years from now! :D
Congrats on getting into USUHS and welcome to the Washington DC area, which is a great place to live and study medicine. You’ll have fabulous opportunities here. And I hope your wife will enjoy GW as a grad student - I’ve certainly found it a friendly place for medicine.

Quote (CaptainAmerica @ June 03 2002,15:18)
I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I'll be attending the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD this fall. For the last 7 years I've been serving as an active duty officer in the US Army, and attending USUHS will pretty much guarantee that I'll serve for the next 15 (service obligation is the price of free tuition).
I am married w/ no kids, although we have a greyhound named Luther and a mutt named Buddy. My wife, Kim, will start her master's work at GWU this fall, so we'll get to be poor students together :0.
I am currently a medical technologist and chief of the clinical laboratory at Fort Leavenworth, KS. I've been here for three years (the longest I've spent in one job), so letting go of my lab and my employees will be a little tough. Letting go of the money will be a little tougher. However, I'm extremely excited about starting med school, as long as I don't think too much about how old I'll be once I'm residency trained :( .

Hi Jeff,
I have used the medical library at UHUHS many times while studying for USMLE and shelf exams. It is a great location to do medical school and has one of the best stocked medical libraries outside of Mayo Clinic. I loved the elevated study carrels.
There are so many resources in the DC area because of NIH and the Federal government being located here. Baltimore is less than an hour away with a totally different flavor. I really have enjoyed both cities.
Mary is at GW and I will be two hours away in Charlottesville, VA. There are other folks (Dee) who are in this area too. I am hoping that JP ends up at GW so Mary can be his big sib next year. Anyway, welcome to the DC area and enjoy!