Hello; New OPM Member here

Hello. Happy to find this site and I hope over the next “years” it will be a constant source of support.

My short story:

36 years old. Graduated in 1998 with a Masters in Engineering from University of Pennsylvania. Spent the last 13 years in the business world now running an insurance brokerage…and a lifelong desire to go into medicine.

I think I pulled the trigger on it today when I admitted myself to a local university.

So here are my questions and concerns:

*) I graduated with a 3.75 from a pretty decent school…but

*) I now live in El Paso. The local university (UTEP) isn’t bad, but definitely isn’t “top tier”. Am I killing myself by taking the bio/chem/pre med reqs here instead of picking myself up and going to a higher caliber University. I’ve succeeded at a top tier place…but that was 15 years ago. Thoughts???

*) I’d love a few words of encouragement “36 isn’t too old to start” kinds of things. I see plenty of 40+ year olds posting on here, but I could use some of the love too

*) I would prefer MD. I would be satisfied with DO. At 36, I need 2 years for pre-reqs, which means starting around 38 or 39. I know “officially” MD schools don’t discriminate with respect to age…but if I was looking for an “official” answer, I wouldn’t be on here. Any comments? This is particular to Texas based schools.

*) I get plenty of older folks go to med school and get through residency. But, what about reasonable fellowships and specialties. I’m not sure I want to stop at a general family practitioner.

*) LAST QUESTION…I’m considering (don’t beat me up…I’m looking for advice here) attempting to do my 2 years of pre-med science courses while holding onto the company. It’d probably be 60% school, 40% work. I’m still good on the energy and probably work 60-70 hour weeks just at the job… but am I insane for thinking anyone could pull that off, or do people do that all the time? I get once I hit medical school it is 100%…I’m talking now, while getting the pre-reqs done.

By the way…anyone out here in West Texas? Would love some local commentary.

Welcome aboard! I certainly cannot comment on all your questions, but I will give my two cents on a few. I will be 35 this year and I’m seeking out my Bachelor’s so I will be 37 or 38 when starting med school so our ages are close on that. A good doctor I know entered med school at 40 and many others on these boards in their late 30’s and 40’s so you and I are certainly not alone.

I understand your concern over being in a “top tier” school, but I don’t think that is crucial at all. Others in TX may have a better idea on how the ADCOMS in TX view your premed course work from various schools. I personally think it is most important to just buckle down wherever you are and do stellar work. Align yourself with profs, be the annoying A student that all the trad’s roll their eyes at.( I am one of those, can you tell?) This is your journey and your goal. You can make your application shine regardless of what school you go to. Do the work, listen to advisers and you’ll probably be ok.

A 3.75 is excellent. Just work hard to maintain that kind of record in your post bacc.

I went back to school under rough circumstances. I had a 1 1/2 yr old, was going through some tough personal issues out of my control and working 40+ hrs a week at a demanding job. My strategy was to start slow with school and get my feet wet and try to remember how to be in college. I took 6 credits of non-science courses that first semester back and I got a 4.0 despite many things in my way. That was one bit of proof that I was headed in the right direction. I have taken science courses since and also cut back on my workload. I have been very fortunate to have an employer that allowed me to drop down my hours slowly. I am now officially part time there, but I would have taken a huge paycut and found another job if I had to to have the flexibility I need to focus on school and my now 3 yr old daughter. It is not without sacrifice and stress, but I try to keep the end in sight while also keeping it “one day at a time”. It seems to be working thus far. However, even at 20 some odd hours a week at my still demanding job (I also work very part time in the lab at school making min. wage, but getting great experience and connections), I am discovering this semester that other changes may be in store. If the work stress continues as it has been, it will have to go. I’ve had two Chem quizzes this semester that I did not do as well as I should have on. I really should have aced them both. I know the material! On both, I was coming right from work from two very stressful days there and my thinking when I walked into Chem was clouded and full of work agony. Not a good situation. I told myself the minute work really interfered with school, I would reevaluate my situation. It appears that is where I am right now. School is my future; my demanding job at my current company is my past. It may hurt my pocketbook now, but I may just be applying for some low level, less stress jobs very soon. I also understand that as a med student and physician I will be required to work under stress and will have to learn how to “uncloud” my mind so those two little quizzes I made little mistakes on are just primers for what is to come. So, I am conflicted. Do I suck it up, keep the demanding job and use it as training for what is to come? Or, do I drop the demanding job knowing how much less interference with school it will give me? It’s a personal choice. I have not made up my mind yet. On the flip side, my chem exam on Friday went excellent. I am fairly certain I only got two wrong. Did I come from work? No. I started my day with my demanding and stressful but beautiful 3 yr old, but no work garbage. I entered my chem exam “unclouded” by work and feeling confident and focused. So, your choice to continue working at your level will be something you may find you need to reevaluate. I would, however, start slow with school. Maybe just take one class, like Bio I, while working like you are and see how it goes. Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew and risk bad grades, or lots of withdrawals. Only you, though, know how much you can chew!

It can be done, but each of us has to make individual choices to get there. Part of what makes us OPM’ers so unique is our ability to see our strengths and weaknesses and make important adjustments accordingly. Most traditional students don’t have the life experience to do that and many just haven’t had to-yet. We OPM’ers know that life throws curveballs. How we duck and dodge and soar despite that is what sets us apart. Afterall, how boring is that 20-21 year old chemistry major applicant who has followed life to the letter? Yawn. If I were on an Adcom, I’d want me at my school! That is the attitude to keep in your mind. We are often our own worst enemies, but it’s important to keep confident without being the egotistical know-it-all either. It’s a balance that frequently comes with some serious life perspective that only time and varied life experiences can get you.

Okay, I’m off my soap box!

Welcome aboard! I know you will find loads of support and advice on these boards. Congratulations for making the first step to realizing your dream.

Cool Hand,

Welcome to the community. You have some good Q’s.

For the post-bac school choice, I haven’t heard that doing it at a top tier makes any difference. Some adcoms may give slight weight to it but I really doubt that a post-bac 4.0 at UTEP is any worse than a 4.0 at a top tier. If any bias exists, I’d say your years of work experience more than make up for it. For us older students, I think adcoms just want to see we can still make it in the classroom at a 4 year uni. UTEP should be just fine especially for the TX MD schools.

I also run my own company and did so during my post-bac. My ratio was maybe more like 70 school/30 work but I still came out with a 4.0 so it can be done, especially if you’re already accustomed to 60-70 hr work weeks. Only you know your own capacity but if you feel that you can juggle it then go for it.

As for age with MD programs, many schools have stats on their website that provide an age range for a recent class (or recent years of classes). I’ve seen a few where the top age was mid-to-late-30’s. The top age at my state MD school last year was 39. I get the sense on the interview trail that everyone recognizes that non-trads are more prevalent and some schools even have stats on their websites for non-trads in the class.

I’ll let others speak to the residencies and specialties since I haven’t been there yet but I’m going into it with a decent level of flexibility. At this age we know that anything can happen in life and there may be things out of our control. I tend to think that age does play a factor in some people/programs but we won’t ever truly know. There are stories from some who feel they were discriminated and there are stories of 50 yr old plastic surgery residents. With so many people/programs there is a large amount of variability. Maybe look at it this way: If you went through all the work to get into and then through med school and life events worked out that you became a family doc, would you be extremely unhappy?

Hope that helps.

• Clhndluke Said:
:

(ignore that I messed up the quote thingie)

*) I graduated with a 3.75 from a pretty decent school....but

*) I now live in El Paso. The local university (UTEP) isn't bad, but definitely isn't "top tier". Am I killing myself by taking the bio/chem/pre med reqs here instead of picking myself up and going to a higher caliber University. I've succeeded at a top tier place...but that was 15 years ago. Thoughts???

That's cool - it is NOT generally about the school you went to, more about how you did there. You're doing fine!

*) I'd love a few words of encouragement "36 isn't too old to start" kinds of things. I see plenty of 40+ year olds posting on here, but I could use some of the love too

Not too old to start! (check out my sig)

*) I would prefer MD. I would be satisfied with DO. At 36, I need 2 years for pre-reqs, which means starting around 38 or 39. I know "officially" MD schools don't discriminate with respect to age....but if I was looking for an "official" answer, I wouldn't be on here. Any comments? This is particular to Texas based schools.

MD schools DO admit non-trad students, and I wouldn't worry about age with the exception perhaps of schools that greatly emphasize research, as there may be a perception among admission officers that you have to be young to have time for a significant career in research - it is illegal for them to discriminate but the average age of admitted students can be a bit lower at such institutions, is my perception.

*) I get plenty of older folks go to med school and get through residency. But, what about reasonable fellowships and specialties. I'm not sure I want to stop at a general family practitioner.

generally, during your 4th year you have an opportunity to do "audition" rotations - clinical rotations at places with residencies you are interested in. That is your chance to show them you are a hard worker and impress them. Haven't heard of anyone having age-related issues with residency -they want someone with a work ethic

*) LAST QUESTION....I'm considering (don't beat me up...I'm looking for advice here) attempting to do my 2 years of pre-med science courses while holding onto the company. It'd probably be 60% school, 40% work. I'm still good on the energy and probably work 60-70 hour weeks just at the job... but am I insane for thinking anyone could pull that off, or do people do that all the time? I get once I hit medical school it is 100%...I'm talking now, while getting the pre-reqs done.

People do work while doing the prereqs. Just need to be sure that you are able to continue to excell with your classes. Is it possible to set it up (more like 50/50) so there is a fall-back plan if you need to cut your hours at work?

Kate

Hey folks,

OP here.

Well thanks for the several messages. They are great to reinforce I’m on the right track. I did go by and officially register at UTEP and have selected the courses to start Spring 2012. Officially register tomorrow.

sorry…meant officially enroll in courses tomorrow