Hello

Hi, I just found out about these boards and it looks to be right up my alley, so I figured I’d introduce myself.

My name is Ben, I live in Little Rock, AR and I’m planning on making my applications this fall. I’m currently a full-time student, trying to finish up prereqs (should finish everything up in the summer semester). I’m planning on taking the MCAT this summer as well.

As for my background, I’m a licensed Professional Engineer. I’ve got a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and an M.S. in Engineering. After working for about 10 years as an engineer, I decided that, while I am interested in the subject matter, it just wasn’t for me, and that I really want to be a doctor.

I quit my full-time engineering job last August to go back to school full-time. I’ve been fortunate to land some part-time engineering consulting work while I’m in school. I also have gotten my EMT certification recently, and I’m hoping to find some part-time work in that arena soon.

I’ve also got a wife, a 1.5 year old daughter, and we’re expecting another little one in August (hopefully after the summer semester is complete!). Looking forward to hanging out here with other non-traditional med students and really looking forward to starting med school next year, if all goes well.

Welcome!

Sounds like you don’t need us here much as you are well on your way - congrats!

Wow, that’s awesome Ben.

I really admire your engineering background; that is not an easy degree to attain by any means, LoL!!

Welcome and nice to meet you. Oh! and good luck on your MCAT this summer. I too and planning to take mine late this summer as well.

Welcome aboard…even though you’ve been on the crazy train for a while.

Welcome!

Welcome bennard! I’m an engineer transitioning to medical school this fall so I’m rooting for you!

Welcome aboard Bennard. I am a mechanical engineer transitioning into the world of medicine. I completely understand when you say you find engineering interesting, but not for you. I think we have a good background (problem solvers, detail oriented) for the profession of medicine. Unlike most engineering jobs, as docs we will (hopefully) get the added bonus of making a direct, meaningful change in peoples lives for the better. Good luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement.

• never_satisfied Said:
Unlike most engineering jobs, as docs we will (hopefully) get the added bonus of making a direct, meaningful change in peoples lives for the better. Good luck!

You hit it right on the head. That's what I feel I've been missing in the engineering world. I really want to be able to come home at night feeling I've made a positive difference in someone's life.