HELP! I've lost my Mojo. :(

Hi everyone,

I am in my 5th yr of school. I have a yr before MCAT.

It has been a lot of stress in my home life the last 2.5 yrs.

1.) My husband lost his job of 14 yrs @ Ford Motor Co. Design Center in Aug 2008. He is still unemployed.

2.) A month later his father died.

3.) A year to the day later 2009, his mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. We had a son die in 2000 from T-cell ALL so this brought back many painful memories. My husband went to her side in Oct. 2009 and stayed (in Phoenix) until she passed just before Christmas.

3a.) Fall 2009 registered for Gen Chem 1. Bad teacher. 1 week later changed teachers. Gave it 2 weeks. Lost in a big way. Maybe it was the stress. Dropped back to lame chem class 130. Also took Organismal bio (got a B) & College Algebra - A.

4.) Then our marriage almost fell apart.

5.) Winter semester 2010 was a complete disaster. The bottom had fallen out and i no longer could keep it together. Basic chem - E, precalc - D, weight training - C (forgot to take final! Ugh!)

6.) Took spring & summer off to recoop. Saved my marriage. YEA.

7.) Fall 2010 retook everything from winter semester. Basic chem - B, precalc - B, weight training - A

Everything was going well. This semester I am taking Gen Chem 1 with Lab, music 100 online, and two half semester blowoffs in the gym.

• 3-4-11 * A surprise ice storm hit my town. I ran out to help my daughter who had fallen and was crying. I slipped, flew off the porch into the air, landed on my sacral area in the driveway, broke both bones in my right arm, had an adrenal crisis, passed out, and ended up in hospital by ambulance. (Oh i hate being a pt!)

NOW I can’t write. I am in a full cast still. My back is bad/better/bad.

Accessibility office has no one to help me. Chem office told me “we will not allow someone else to write your answers on tests”. My chem professor has even denied me the overheads from lecture! * Thanks University of Michigan*

So… here I am… looking at taking an ‘I’ for chem.

I can’t seem to find the strength that I normally possess to carry on. I HAVE LOST MY MOJO!

I guess I feel like three semesters with flaws is too much.

Can anyone offer me advice? Or hope?

Thanks,

Shan…no-mojo-anymore

Have you talked with the Office of student life? There should be someone (that office I mentioned) you can go to and explain your current situation. There should be a way to accommodate your needs. I would not give in. If you have truly exhausted all of your resources (try going to the department head of chemistry) then maybe you should take a break to heel stress free. If stress is going to affect your studies then you need to rethink what your best options are at this time. Good luck!

In a lot of ways, this could be my story…

You haven’t lost your mojo but if I were you, I’d chill out on the school thing (takes incomplete grades if you can) until you got your life to a somewhat normal place starting with your health. I say somewhat because as I’m getting older, I’m noticing that periods of “chaos” ARE normal.

@shanwith8 wow, you are such a survivor. I’m sorry for everything that you and your family have been through. I don’t know how you feel about your situation now, but if you have already spoken with someone in student life or the chem dept head and have gotten nowhere, maybe you might consider speaking with the dean of arts and sciences or whatever department the chem department is under at your university. Also, it is a good point that you don’t need to be stressed, especially while you are trying to heal. It would seem like someone at your university would understand your plight. You might even have to take it to the provost marshall or the chancellor/president of the university if you really want to pursue this. It depends on what your heart is telling you. God bless you and all the other participants of OPM.