HELP! When/How to submit an MCAT technical problem investigation letter to schools

I had a technical difficulty on my MCAT (fabulous!); AAMC did an investigation and verified that it happened and that I may have lost time and/or experienced “undue stress” that may have affected my score. They indicated that I can send this letter to the schools for which I am applying. I just spoke to AMCAS and they said I can’t attach it to the general but email the letter separately to each school.

My questions: When? Wait until secondaries and include? Wait until verification and send out? Would you include any additional information to the schools to accompany the letter (e.g. I have a retake date, but wanted you to be aware…)

Thanks for any advice you all may have! Good luck to all 2016 applicants…I just pushed the button! Yikes! :shock:

What is your MCAT score/GPA? That could make a lot of difference in how I would approach it.

After your primary is submitted and verified, all the schools will have an open file on you and will add whatever you send them to it. I’m pretty sure AMCAS will verify you once you have a score, but they may hold it for your next test too. I think an email with the letter attached will be good enough. I definitely would not put in amplifying fluff that isn’t backed up by the letter that will come off as an “excuse” (I don’t think the letter constitutes an excuse), and I think guesstimating what your score would’ve been is a waste of time because it isn’t yet backed up with real numbers.

Your AMCAS application has a spot in it to put your future test dates.

Do you have your score yet? If you mark that you have a future test date, schools will most likely out your application on hold until that score is received. They should still send you a secondary unless they screen for scores.

I took the April exam; haven’t received scores yet. I’ve inputted my retake date onto AMCAS for August (the prelims weren’t solid enough to risk it). My UGPA is 3.9; GGPA is 4.0 PB/sGPA 3.52.

I don’t really expect this letter to “do” anything more than serve as a notification that there was an issue. I wouldn’t have thought to pass it on at all except that the letter mentions that I can submit this letter with my applications…so I thought…well can’t hurt. Kennymac…good to know about the open files…I was concerned that waiting until secondaries may or may not come that would be a hinderance.

If you end up taking the second test, keep in mind that your scores won’t be released until September/October, which puts you a bit behind for rolling admissions. Most if not all schools won’t consider your file complete until all of your test scores are recorded. In short, you may not get an interview consideration until your scores are released. It’s not a total show stopper though. I wasn’t verified until September and still had a successful cycle.

You should read up on the AMCAS rules to see if it mentions whether they’ll release your primary with a pending test.

@teach2md wrote:

I took the April exam; haven’t received scores yet. I’ve inputted my retake date onto AMCAS for August (the prelims weren’t solid enough to risk it). My UGPA is 3.9; GGPA is 4.0 PB/sGPA 3.52.

I don’t really expect this letter to “do” anything more than serve as a notification that there was an issue. I wouldn’t have thought to pass it on at all except that the letter mentions that I can submit this letter with my applications…so I thought…well can’t hurt. Kennymac…good to know about the open files…I was concerned that waiting until secondaries may or may not come that would be a hinderance.

When are you submitting your primary? Since you took the April test, and will get your scores in 12 days, why not wait to see if you did OK anyway? Then you’ll know if you have to put a pending August date or can just go ahead and apply and blissfully never have to take the MCAT again.