Hi everyone. Q on Fin Aid?

While doing a google search on ‘non-traditional regrets and medical school,’ to find out where people went wrong and what they are doing to better themeselves, this site showed up somewhere within the first few pages. I have used SDN some over the last couple of months, but am glad to find a site devoted to the non-trad pre-medical/medical student. Although the sarcastic remarks I’ve seen on SDN are at times humorous, they can be annoying when someone asks a legitimate question and recieves an assinine answer in response.

I read across where someone mentioned you can in-fact get financial aid of some sort for post-bac work that is leading to professional careers. That would be a great plus because of the money situation I am in. I am single and without children so I’m not sure if that would effect my eligibility. Do you have to be in a structured post-bac program or as long as you are taking x hours you can recieve aid? If starting back this summer, could possibly have my pre-med classes finished by next spring.

You are eligible for 12 consecutive months of financial aid (read federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans) to take courses that are pre-requisites for a professional program (med, law, dental, optometry, vet, etc). I borrowed via this route. My school’s FA office required that I have an advisor certify every quarter that the courses I was taking were pre-reqs for a professional program. I enrolled as a non-degree student. I don’t know if you can borrow in this way if you enroll as a regular undergrad or not.

You can also enroll as a “degree-seeking” undergrad and get federal loans that way, as long as you haven’t exceeded the maximum $$$ amount or maximum number of hours.

In either case, I think you have to be enrolled for a minimum number of hours to qualify for federal loans (I think it is 6 semester hours).

A lot of financial aid people aren’t aware of the eligibility for loans for pre-reqs, but it exists. The downside is the CONSECUTIVE months part. If you take a quarter/semester off, you basically lose a quarter of financial aid.

Hope that’s what you’re looking for.

• southpawslugger Said:
While doing a google search on 'non-traditional regrets and medical school,' to find out where people went wrong and what they are doing to better themeselves, this site showed up somewhere within the first few pages. I have used SDN some over the last couple of months, but am glad to find a site devoted to the non-trad pre-medical/medical student. Although the sarcastic remarks I've seen on SDN are at times humorous, they can be annoying when someone asks a legitimate question and recieves an assinine answer in response.

I read across where someone mentioned you can in-fact get financial aid of some sort for post-bac work that is leading to professional careers. That would be a great plus because of the money situation I am in. I am single and without children so I'm not sure if that would effect my eligibility. Do you have to be in a structured post-bac program or as long as you are taking x hours you can recieve aid? If starting back this summer, could possibly have my pre-med classes finished by next spring.

Most likely, while plenty of us can probably give you a general answer, I think your best source of information would be the financial aid office (and maybe a counselor as well) at the university you plan to do the post-bacc at. I would imagine if nothing else that you would be eligible for student loans since the government always loves collecting interest off students.

I agree with you on SDN completely though. There are some very small tid bits of info that are unique on SDN and are useful, but for the most part, you can get any sort of information you could possibly need from here (with very few exceptions) in a much more mature and respectful manner.